Asus P5E-VM -VGA looks better than HDMI

vbimport

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. Thanks to everyone in advance.

I have just built a HTPC with the Asus P5E-VM HDMI motherboard
Other components:
Antec Fusion case
2x500 Gb HDD
4 Gb RAM
DVICO Fusion HDTV 7 Tuner

Displayed on Samusung t4661 46" 1080p LCD

Here is my issue. The VGA out looks amazing while the HDMI looks horrible.
I have installed the latest drivers for the g35 chipset from the intel Website.

Any ideas why the HDMI looks bad?

Thanks,
Fred

Welcome to CDfreaks fbbristow :smiley:

Here is a very very very long thread for you to read, it starts out with BS talk and should provide the help you need :smiley:

Link

Because you dont run 1920x1080 over HDMI (60Hz) and actived pixelmapping?
//Danne

I am running at 1920x1080, however I have not done anything with pixel mapping.

Would I have to use a program like powerstrip or are you saying I can activate it using windows and my TV???

Thanks

Set it to “Just scan” och 1:1 / PC (whatever Samsung perfers to call it).
//Danne

Oh sorry. I forgot to say that I have my TV set to just scan. I thought you were refering to something else.

I’ve been playing for hours with no improvement.

Thanks

Okay, what looks “bad” or rather how is it looking “bad”?
//Danne

OK.
All images look pixelated and the text looks grainy. This is just with the Vista menus.
Video plays back well with no choppyness or stuttering, however again the picture is pixelated.

Can you take a picture of it?
//Danne

Could what he is seeing be from the fact that most icons are low resolution, but since he’s expanding the icon size, the resolution of the icon is too low for his large tv size, hence a grainy looking icon.

I had to leave my place for a bit but I’ll take a pic of the HDMI and one of the VGA and post as soon as I get home.

As for the icons being blurry because they are expanded too much. I would expect that to be the case with any output including the VGA, however the VGA provides perfect output, smooth edges and perfect text.

According to the motherboard specs it should be able to output 1080p so shouldn’t it be able to match my TVs capability??

thanks again. I’ll post pics soon.

Bare with me… I’m also just learning HDMI, but what type of HDMI cable are you using. Remember [I]crossg[/I] having similar issue a while ago, changing the cable to “higher” standard quality cable (1.3 think it was) cured the problems.

But then again, I might be completely wrong. :bigsmile:

I’ll do a quick forum check for that past issue and I’ll check the cable to make sure, but I’m fairly certain that is a decent quality cable.

any ideas will help so keep posting. thanks

Ok this may be my stupidity talking but how would I take a picture of it?

If I do a screen capture it will be the same for both VGA and HDMI because it captures what Windows sees not what the actual screen shows and taking an actual photo wouldn’t work cause it would be like trying to take a picture of a light source and my digital camera just looks washed out so I wouldnt get the detail I need to show you.

Also I will be trying a replacement cable tomorrow so I will post the results of that test.

I did manage to tweak my TV settings, however the picture is still noticably worse. For example the Vista sign on screen is good with the VGA but pixelated with the HDMI (large and tile like in some areas)

How about using a camera?
I doubt there’s an issue with the cable.
//Danne

[QUOTE=fbbristow;2003839]Ok this may be my stupidity talking but how would I take a picture of it?

If I do a screen capture it will be the same for both VGA and HDMI because it captures what Windows sees not what the actual screen shows and taking an actual photo wouldn’t work cause it would be like trying to take a picture of a light source and my digital camera just looks washed out so I wouldnt get the detail I need to show you.

[/QUOTE]

If your too close the the screen your camera will not be able to focus on to it. You would have to use the ‘macro mode’ to focus up close. Otherwise you should be atleasdt 3 feet away so that the camera can focus properly.

I can’t seem to get the detail that I need to show you with my camera. Still looks too washed out.

I’ve tweaked all the settings I can think of and now there is a minimal difference between the HDMI and VGA, however it is still noticible.

I am completely off by thinking that the HDMI should look better after adjusting all the TV and video driver settings?

Are you running 1920x1080 @ 60Hz?
Have you tried all “aspect ratio” settings?
//Danne

My Westinghouse 37" 720P acts the same way… If I use the DVI to HDMI cable the picture looks terrible, harder to notice with movies, but windows and icons look grainy and pixelated. I thought it was just 720p because I saw my buddies 1080p pc media center and his 46" LCD. It was amazing.

Then I switched to a standard analog VGA cable and the picture is completely perfect… Just like my computer monitor.

I couldn’t be happier. I don’t care if it’s HDMI or VGA, as long as it looks crisp… and now it does.

Could it be that we are using analog DVI to HDMI cables? Im not even sure what I had, it was the one connecting my HD receiver to my tv… I may switch back to component cables, I thought they looked nicer anyway.

Your 720p looks bad because you cannot pixelmap, which isnt the issue with 1080p TVs.
//Danne