Asus or Pioneer?

Hi all,

I’m looking at getting a dvd burner for a new system, and I’m trying to decide on a few different models. :

Asus DRW-1814BLT
Pioneer DVR-112D
Pioneer DVR-111D

I’ll only be using one optical drive in the system. Both PATA and SATA are acceptable options at this point. Ideally, I’d like the drive to be a highly compatible reader (speed less important than quality) and an effective writer. According to the review here at Cdfreaks, the Asus performed well in these categories and even passed the “3 sheep” test. The Pioneer 112 looks interesting, but I’ve heard of a few issues with CDR use.

Which would you choose? Thanks.

Get the Asus 1612BL. I did the same thoughts and came to this conclusion.

Reason against the 1814BL: Cannot read Key2Audio protection.

None of those listed drives is a 3-Sheep writer!! The CDfreaks tests are WRONG!!!

Although write quality is slightly better with the Pio 112, it has inferior reading capabilities and the CD-error correction is worse.

For me, the best of the bunch is the 1612BL and I’d recommend that also to you.

Another reason why I chose it was its unbelievable quiteness. It’s comparable to the best Plextors in this discipline and neither Pioneer nor LG or Liteon get even close to those noise levels.

Get the 111D (you can crossflash to 111L but would loose warranty) .
It is an excellent reader and one of the highest quality burners I’ve ever tried with very consistent results

Pioneer 111 is a great choice, imo better than the good 112

Asus 1612BL have too many issues.1814BL is the way to go.

I think the Pioneers are better than the Asus, but the Asus is still a good choice. Only DL-quality isn´t very good

I had two Asus 1612BL ( about 10days ) …but now I don’t have any Asus :Z

The 1814 is based on Mediatek, not NEC.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Just to note, the Pioneer 111 won’t rip neither Safedisk v2 nor Key2Audio. In case you need to backup these media, that Pioneer would be a rather bad choice.