ASUS or Lite on I want a matching set

Hi

I am in the market for a DVD-ROM and CD-RW. I know this sounds lame but I want the front bezels to match. From what I’ve read, the new LIte-ON DVD,the 16ss,(or whatever), is the best 16x DVD Rom, and the new Asus 52x is the best overall burner.
What do the front bezels look like on these models? Does anyone have a better solution?

I want a good DVD-ROM that can read subs and read safedisk stuff correctly and can also rip at 16x. I also want a good burner that can do the safedisk and new secure rom… I have a old SCSI plex burner now and the old UltraPLex Wide (its an Ultra Wide cd reader).

What should I get? Should I wait for the Lite-on combos? Can anyone speculate if they will be as good as having both a seperate burner and DVD?

Thanks

I used to have the plextor 40 x reader and the plextor 12x writer thought it was time for an upgrade, so I got the LiteOn dvd reader and 2X 48x12x48 writers (matching set)
Im more than happy with the results im getting from them, I still have the Plextor reader in the system and am continually testing discs between the Plextor and the LiteOn, up to now, I have GOT to say, the LiteOn is BETTER
dunno if this helps you or not, but its my 10 pence worth

You should buy the JLMS (LiteOn) XJ-HD166S (former LTD-166S). It’s an hell of drive, very good indeed. And buy also a LiteOn CD-RW drive: they’re fast, cheap and very reliable.

Thems the ones I got :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

asus rocks

have a 52 speed writer and a DVD dive from asus
both with the same front, looks pretty nice

Originally posted by Maelstrom
[B]asus rocks

have a 52 speed writer and a DVD dive from asus
both with the same front, looks pretty nice [/B]

It seems you’re an Asus fan :bigsmile: I had an Asus 50x CD-ROM drive, 2 years ago. It was to damned noisy and picky. I had to sell it. Then I bought a Samsung SD-616T drive, it was good, but the acess time was too high and poor DVD media support. Recently I bought my LiteOn 16x DVD drive and it’s great :slight_smile:
Asus… no more, too expensive for the quality they offer.

Originally posted by vio_man
[B]

It seems you’re an Asus fan :bigsmile: I had an Asus 50x CD-ROM drive, 2 years ago. It was to damned noisy and picky. I had to sell it. Then I bought a Samsung SD-616T drive, it was good, but the acess time was too high and poor DVD media support. Recently I bought my LiteOn 16x DVD drive and it’s great :slight_smile:
Asus… no more, too expensive for the quality they offer. [/B]

take the cover of your lite-on drive and compare it with an asus drive then we discus wich has better quality.

Originally posted by Maelstrom
[B]

take the cover of your lite-on drive and compare it with an asus drive then we discus wich has better quality. [/B]

What’s that suppose to mean? Lite-On uses cheaper plastic covers? The way I see it, which one is easier to upgrade and has better support gets my vote. I know exactly where to look for the newest Lite-On CDRW and DVDROM f/w, so I bought a pair of Lite-On 40x CDRW and 16X DVD. Did I mention they are both very quiet? Man, I remember buying a matching Plextor set a few years back, cost me $600 for the 8x20 CDRW, 40x Max, and Adaptec SCSI controller.

To each his own, I suppose…
Me, I gave up worrying about “matching” the bits years ago (as long as it’s beige, not black!). I’m more concerned with value for money. I bought a Liteon burner a while back and recently bought a Liteon DVD player (165H). I wouldn’t say they quite match, but I couldn’t care less. They both perform very well and the price was right at the time.

Besides which, it is extremely unlikely that I will still have these bits in 2 years time (probably less - my present system is approx. 12 months old and I’m already looking at upgrading, damn this changing technology:eek: ).

Don’t have any experience with combo types, I’ve always preferred the flexibility of separate units (e.g. if something dies I don’t loose player AND burner) and it’s a bit hard to do direct cd-cd copying with only one unit :smiley: .

A couple of things to ponder.

originally posted by stoner

What’s that suppose to mean?

he’s saying compare the drives when you cant see which is which.

They are both excellent drives but ive heard they are both picky with media. Although i own a lite-on writer i have never had media that does not work with it

I have the Asus E616 and I would not reccomend it over a Lite-On. It takes a very long time to detect media, the tray isn’t easily pushed in, and the speeds suck for DVD. It rips DVD at ~2.5x which is pretty bad for a 16x DVD-ROM. Easy to make region free though, just a simple button trick. Plus Asus never updates firmware.

Thanks… for all your help. I have decided on the New Liteon DVD

What is the difference between these two?
XJ-HD166S and former LTD-166S What speed can I rip at?

Now for the burner!!! How does the new Liteon 52x compare with the ASUS as far as seek time and noise… I know the Liteon can do the safe disk and my plextors can do the audio and the new sucure rom, ( I think)

Will I be able to burn everything with this set up.

Thanks Again

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]

What’s that suppose to mean? Lite-On uses cheaper plastic covers? The way I see it, which one is easier to upgrade and has better support gets my vote. I know exactly where to look for the newest Lite-On CDRW and DVDROM f/w, so I bought a pair of Lite-On 40x CDRW and 16X DVD. Did I mention they are both very quiet? Man, I remember buying a matching Plextor set a few years back, cost me $600 for the 8x20 CDRW, 40x Max, and Adaptec SCSI controller. [/B]

take of the cover and look inside the drive
look at the components used by lite-on and components used by asus. since your looking at it, take a look at the construction too.
the lite-on is very fragile on the inside.
thats one way to make your product cheaper.

Originally posted by ntloser
[B]Thanks… for all your help. I have decided on the New Liteon DVD

What is the difference between these two?
XJ-HD166S and former LTD-166S What speed can I rip at?

Now for the burner!!! How does the new Liteon 52x compare with the ASUS as far as seek time and noise… I know the Liteon can do the safe disk and my plextors can do the audio and the new sucure rom, ( I think)

Will I be able to burn everything with this set up.

Thanks Again [/B]

The latest DS0F firmware renames the LTD-166S drive to JLMS XJ-HD166S. They are the same drive, with different firmwares.

The DVD rip depends. Dual-layer DVDs are slower and single-layer ones.

Latest LiteOn’s firmwares provide audio protection support, so you can now rip protected audio CDs.

Using the LiteOn 16x DVD and the 52x CD-RW recorder (from LiteOn too) you will have a very nice set up.

:slight_smile: