ASUS N53JQ DVD Drive original problem

vbimport

Hello to all!
I’m starting this new thread because, as I think you’ll understand, the problem I’m about to report is quite unique and different from all those that I’ve searched for (in fact, I register for this forum as a result of a response on another one, telling me this could be the ultimate place to get real help and guidance for cd and dvd problems, choices and so on).
The problem is this:

1. About one month ago I realized that I had a virus (detected through MSSE) so I had to reformat and reinstall all what I needed in my work ASUS N53JQ laptop;
  2. Last week I went to burn an audio CD, all the process wen t well through the end, no error messages, no glitches, nothing at all! Problem is:
  3. when I reinserted the CD it showed as blank CD, with the full capacity showing up in windows explorer!
  4. try it again - same result;
  5. tried to burn a data CD - same result;
  6. tried to burn a movie into a DVD - I achieve this, the movie is there and working;
  7. tried with another cd the first operation (creating an audio CD) and I went back to my problem…
    To summarize this, I shall say that I went through this process over and over, trying to create an audio CD, a data DVD, a data CD, and ultimately trying to burn again a movie - and I never again achieved to do it successfully!
    The drive appears correctly on Windows Device Manager, appears in Windows Explorer, I can read CD’s and DVD’s - just can’t burn them!
    I have this ASUS N53JQ for work, with 12 GB RAM, i7 Processor, Windows 7 Entreprise 64 Bits installed… I used in my attempts to burn CD’s and DVD’s both the InfraRecorder app, ImgBurn and even the Windows built-in recording app.
    I don’t know what the problem could be, I find this really strange.
    Last but not least, a co-worker with the exact model as mine, same specs and all just change is drive with mine and now we both deal with the same problem: no one can burn CD’s nor DVD’s.
    I’m bumping my head against a wall right now :confused:
    My colleague tells me that it could be drivers issue but Windows troubleshooter shows that there is no problem with the driver and I can’t find an updated driver as well (the difference being that my colleague just doesn’t care about burning CD’s or DVD’s so it’s not a real problem for him)
    Thanks for all the attention that you can give to this, I’ll appreciate that :smiley:

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that I tried all these with different cd and dvd media. I was using Sony CD-R and Sony DVD-R and I changed to Verbatim CD-R and some Memorex DVD :frowning: With no results, whatsoever

Hello, j_fradique! Welcome to our forum :flower:

Did you reinstall your operating system from a disc provided by ASUS? If not, this machine appears to be highly tweaked by them, and reinstalling the Intel RST and MEI drivers as well as much of the custom drivers at this site may be advisable. In Imgburn, what is the exact model and firmware of the drive that is giving you trouble?

Hi and thnks for your quick and helpful guidance!

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2661578]
Did you reinstall your operating system from a disc provided by ASUS?[/QUOTE]

1. Thank you very much! No, this ASUS came originally with a blank disk of 500 GB and was installed with a windows 7 64 bits entreprise edition with MSDN license (so I did a clean install with this original disc and then I went to ASUS support page for all the drivers - just for you to know, there are 3 of us in our workplace with this same laptop and exact model)

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2661578]
In Imgburn, what is the exact model and firmware of the drive that is giving you trouble?[/QUOTE]
2) In ImgBurn the info that appears is Drive 1 - Info: HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT32N AS01-10 E: (SATA) so I’m guessing the firmware version is that AS01 code

I’ll try the link you gave me but I think I won’t get any drivers for this because they all seem generic (driver details reports to be Microsoft Corporation version 6.1.7600.16385)

I also forgot to mention that I have free Elbysoft VirtualClone for mounting isos installed - could be any compatibility issue?!?!

Once again, thanks for your attention and quick answer to this :slight_smile:

Have you tried this MS fix?

Elby VCD has never given me a problem, but certainly uninstall it to rule that out.

I just tried the MS fix you provide with the results that I already suspected (never gave great value to windows proposed solutions or troubleshooters :frowning: - never had any luck with those)

https://hgt8lw.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pD7631Mybd6HvaQ6ALw_WvBlY1If2vC4_Ch6MBpqKgPKty3JHXSCsyOoRwoLzYNoitWZyH8H10zPExeQ618f2QhbjiSACuYgq/trouble.PNG?psid=1

Anyway tomorrow I hope to know more about this issue since me and my colleagues will compare our configurations to see if, disregard the fact that two of us can’t burn cd’s nor dvd’s, there are differences oin the driver details or some settings.
Thanks again for your help.

It is not often that the easiest fix is it, but worth a try. I should have asked, you did burn CD/DVD with this drive before your OS install? Stop back if you discover the problem, and it may be that another member will come up with a thought on this.

Hello again!
Today, I’m reserving some time in this morning to go through the process listed here: starting by checking the registry keys mentioned on the article :frowning:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/hl-dt-st-gt32n-not-working-after-windows-update/863a2864-baac-4160-abc1-fbf9010e2ed5

Well, can’t see any LowerFilters nor UpperFilters on my registry - probably this doesn’t apply to Win7 :frowning:

UPDATE: tried this - it doesn’t apply to my laptop messge at the end :frowning:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976187

This is a weird problem in general but the Upper and Lower Filters also exist in Windows 7 so maybe that’s part of the problem.

It’s hard to know where to go from here but try this automated MS troubleshooter and see if that helps.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2661732]This is a weird problem in general but the Upper and Lower Filters also exist in Windows 7 so maybe that’s part of the problem.

It’s hard to know where to go from here but try this automated MS troubleshooter and see if that helps.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
Thanks, but didn’t work either!
UPDATE: I’ll try this now but don’t rely too much on that it will work = http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-or-disk-problems-how-to-fix-problems-caused-by-filters.137666/

[QUOTE=j_fradique;2661760]Thanks, but didn’t work either!
UPDATE: I’ll try this now but don’t rely too much on that it will work = http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-or-disk-problems-how-to-fix-problems-caused-by-filters.137666/[/QUOTE]
Just to add that I’m not really the one and only with this starnge issue = look at this guy :frowning:

Well, this saga continues - I went to disk management console in windows, changed drive letter, reboot, tried to burn once again an audio disc using a Sony CD-R and, surprise surprise, I achieved that :slight_smile:
I listen to it for little bit, everything ok :slight_smile:
Ejected the disc, put it in again and no more audio disc - can’t ear it and, in windows explorer when I click on it’s drive letter it says “you need to format the disc in order to use it” and “make sure that the disc uses a format that windows recognizes”…
What’s going on here, this is getting weird and weird every time :frowning:

Yes, I’m also learning this problem is more widespread than I knew.

One person on another forum claims to have only had success with a particular burning program. My first thought was this could be promoting a software, but it is free. Give it a try?

One other potential help.

Or, you could just go into power settings and see if changing to “performance” mode makes any change.

Hello deanwitty, thanks for all your help and sorry only now answer this.
I have some evolution on this issue - my colleagues changed drive letter to X and Z, respectively!
Both were able burn data cd and audio cd - problem now is that I can’t read the cd’s they’ve done - is it stastrange what?!?
Anyway, I just disabled (not uninstalled it) the number of drives in Elbysoft VirtualClone app and also changed my drive letter to Z
After restarting it seems that it will work - I’m burning right now an audio cd using nothing else but Windows Media Player.
I’ll let you know more in awhile :slight_smile:

And yes, you’re absolutely right - this has to be some software related issue! I’m convinced about it :frowning:
Also I’m looking at the urls you provided - will look into them and probably try some more tips
One thing is for sure - none of the MS Fix it solutions worked :frowning:

Well at least you managed to get it sorted and that’s the main thing.

[B]Wombler[/B]

One more update to this issue:

1. made a system restore to some days ago prior to start this saga :frowning:
  2. as expected I can read cd and dvd but not burn them
  3. changed the drive letter to Z as did my colleagues
  4. tried to burn an audio cd again with no luck - it reaches the end without any error message but when I try to open it it says “format disc” and then “use a disc that windows can recognize blah blah blah”
  5. Strangest thing (and this is a new thing to add to the problem): I can’t read the cd nor dvd made by my colleagues AFTER they’ve changed their drive letters !!!

Anyway, an audio cd that my colleague burned I can listen to it on my car player :-p
So, quitting for now :frowning:
After 1 day and a half trying to solve this I’ll have to do my work tasks :frowning:

Got slimdrivers free and updated several of them (audio, display, intel chipset, bluetooth), tried and perform anothet attempt at burning an audio CD - same result.

Have to start looking at some external burners in order to buy one :frowning:

[QUOTE=j_fradique;2662202]
Have to start looking at some external burners in order to buy one :-([/QUOTE]

Laptops are not to durable so I don’t have too much faith in their Burning abilities. One way to settle this, you say your Co-Workers have the same Laptop. Generally it’s not too hard to change out these Slimdrives, take out one screw on the bottom and it slides out. If your Co-Workers Laptops can Burn, change out the Slimdrive with one of them and see if it works for you. If it does it was not software at all, but just a burned out Drive. Buy another one and replace the bad one. Try eBay they have some good deals. :cool: