Asus Maximus Formula ICH9R running RAID / AHCI and Optical SATA drives?

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Plextor PX-810SA. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi, I’m having a very strange issue, when I boot my computer up and select boot order in the BIOS to look for the DVD this slows the boot process down by ca 15 seconds (it first checks the floppy drive, and with the floppys LED still lit the system tries to access the DVD for 15 seconds and then continues…

If I choose to run my SATA ports in IDE mode this does not happen, only when I have them set to AHCI or RAID (I do run a 3 drive RAID5 array…)

This all started when I upgraded the BIOS to add support for my new Intel Q9450 CPU, a bit miffed by this I tried older BIOS versions again, but it did not help, with RAID/AHCI mode my DVD did not work properly anymore…

So I bought a LG GGW-H20L Blu-Ray drive instead, thinking my Plextor PX-810SA might be dying or something… But this did not help, and with this new drive the whole issue is much more annoying, because when this drve powers on it makes a noise (guess it moves the optical assembly to some position)
Anyway, this sound is only heard once when the ICH9R is in IDE mode and the bootup is very quick, but when I select RAID or AHCI the drive makes first 3 of those noises, and then when I get “DET IDE” on my Post code display it makes another 3 of those sounds…

Any idea what is causing this? Also if I just ignore this and let the computer boot sometimes my WD Raptor drive is not found by the BIOS, other times it will boot but I get big slowdowns / freezes in Windows when the DVD is being accessed…

If no one knows of a good answer to this, what would be a reliable PCIe SATA controller card to buy?
Is this one ok? http://www.st-lab.com/assign.asp?keyid=bf12

Can’t be sure of the card in the link you post.
PCIE-IDESI3531
But should be OK.
It is siliconimage chipset based.
However I know this one will work. As I have used it.
PCIE-IDESI3512-1

You can flash the cards BIOS if needed to “BASE BIOS” (Non-Raid).
They also have a specific driver for ODD’s.

Info Drivers & Bios :

http://www.siliconimage.com/products/productfamily.aspx?id=3

Am at a friends place now, brought my Plextor PX-810SA to him

On his Asus P5Q-E (ICH10R) mobo I get the exact same issue as on my own mainboard… I.e. slow boot with AHCI/RAID and no issues in IDE mode when connected to the SATA ports… It also has some shitty 2 extra ports and that didn’t even detect the DVD drive… Sigh…

soulsurvivor; Thanks for the input

[QUOTE=Per Hansson;2112066]Am at a friends place now, brought my Plextor PX-810SA to him

On his Asus P5Q-E (ICH10R) mobo I get the exact same issue as on my own mainboard… I.e. slow boot with AHCI/RAID and no issues in IDE mode when connected to the SATA ports… [B]It also has some shitty 2 extra ports[/B] and that didn’t even detect the DVD drive… Sigh…

soulsurvivor; Thanks for the input[/QUOTE]

Not “shitty” but normal.
READ the manual then you will know why.

chef; point taken, it’s not my mobo tho so I don’t care much, I saw in the BIOS settings that it was a RAID0/1 thing for “easy access”

I set it to normal mode tho (i.e. no RAID) so I kinda expected it to work but no worries…

I did read my own mobo manual tho and there was no mention of optical drives not working when the system is in RAID/AHCI mode?

Is this a confirmed issue with this chipset?
Have anyone else seen the same behaviour?

I still have a hard time believing I actually need to buy an add-in SATA controller so my optical drive will work…

I see no mention of it in my mobo manual for the Maximus Formula?

In RAID mode, no optical drive will work.
For this reason most of all BIOS’ have the compatibility mode…

[QUOTE=chef;2114501]In RAID mode, no optical drive will work.
For this reason most of all BIOS’ have the compatibility mode…[/QUOTE]

Real bummer this isn’t mentioned in the mobo manual :frowning:

And the compatibility mode is only available when running in IDE mode anyway :frowning:

[QUOTE=chef;2114501]In RAID mode, no optical drive will work.
[/QUOTE]

Off-topic, but that’s not the case all the time ;). I have a Dell with ICH8R chipset, and my Sammy 203N and Optiarc 5170S work just fine with the PC set to RAID mode. Maybe I’m just lucky though, who knows :wink:

However, in most cases for best results you are right and IDE compatibility mode is recommended :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2114654]Off-topic, but that’s not the case all the time ;). I have a Dell with ICH8R chipset, and my Sammy 203N and Optiarc 5170S work just fine with the PC set to RAID mode. Maybe I’m just lucky though, who knows :wink:

However, in most cases for best results you are right and IDE compatibility mode is recommended :)[/QUOTE]

My system did work too; I was able to install Windows from the optical drive and even play movies in Windows
But I would get occasional lockups in Windows whent he DVD drive was inserted… (the system would freeze for a few seconds and then come back…)

The error in the Event Log after such a lockup is usually;

Event Type: Error
Event Source: iaStor
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9
Date: 2008-08-17
Time: 10:55:25
User: N/A
Computer: XPX64
Description:
The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 0f 00 05 00 01 00 6e 00 …n.
0008: 00 00 00 00 09 00 04 c0 …À
0010: 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 …
0028: 00 00 00 00 00 …

Hmmm, I get no lockups. But then I’m using Vista 32, don’t know it that makes a difference.

Regarding boot delays, I found my system was pretty speedy with just the Optiarc connected, but since I connected the Sammy things fave slowed down a little on booting. Pretty strange, but I can live with it.

Looks like you have two choices, as outlined by the others: an add-in card, or IDE compatible mode. :frowning:

Found a few SATA controllers to choose from, is any better than the other? Price is pretty much the same…
I can clearly see the boot BIOS chip on the Lycom card, but are the other 2 also bootable from?

Lycom PE-103 (SiI3132)
http://www.lycom.com.tw/PE103.htm

Sunix SATA1400 (JMicron JMB360)

ST Lab A-360 (SiL3531)
http://www.st-lab.com/assign.asp?keyid=bf12

Arachne; Yea, my system works better in Vista SP1 x64 too, I dual boot it and XP x64…

Guess the drivers for Vista are better than XP x64 (=Server 2003 x64)

I prefer to use XP though…

I ended up getting the ST Lab A-360 (SiL3531) controller

It was probably a poor choice because it seems it does not have a BIOS chip; I can not select it as a boot device…

But atleast it seems to work just fine in Windows!