ASUS M2N-VM HDMI LG GGC H20L - Vista Locks up

[qanda]This thread is about the LG GGC-H20L. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have built a media center with the following specs/hardware:
ASUS M2N-VM HDMI
AMD2 5200+
2GB RAM
2 SATA 640 SAMSUNG disks.
1 SATA LG GGC H20L
WinTV Nova 500 card
Running on Vista Home Premium SP1 via HDMI to SAMSUNG LE32R88 HD Ready screen. Video and Audio working fine.

I cannot use the GGC H20L in the PC - CD’s DVD’s HD DVD’s lock the machine up.
I changed in the BIOS from SATA to RAID and disabled the IDE port also. No Luck. To install Vista I had to use an IDE DVD drive- Pioneer -absolute brilliant kit and life saver for the last 6yrs!
I have bought 1 HD-DVD to test the drive but it does not work.
I have started to loose the will to live with the drive- i hear about having to use a pci sata to usb card but someone must have an answer!
Someone must have this Drive running on a sata board!!!

Please advise - any advice is most welcome.

The motherboard has NVidia nforce southbridge, that might be the problem. Most SATA DVD and Blu-ray drives don’t like to be put in nvidia nforce slot.

Have you update the nforce driver? Did you try using microsoft driver instead? Do you have the BIOS on IDE?

Your best bet would be runing the LG drive on PCI to SATA controller with Silicon Image chipset (cost around $25).

Hi Zevia - thanks for reply and taking a timeout to look into it! Appreciated!

I know the best way forward is to do the pci to Sata. but I have read alot and have been reading the comments regarding LG’s GGC H20l drives. Most of the articles are from a while back and this mobo is a newish one which might be different or may work without the PCI - SATA interface.

I have tried numerous combos - IDE is disabled & enabled - no luck.
I have used the drivers from my CD with the MOBO which has its own install program to install all drivers.

I have one question - my storage controller in vista home premium sp1 is a iscsi microsoft one - I have uninstalled and reinstalled - but im not sure if this is correct still which may be causing the issue.

The mobo is newish but the north/southbridge chipsets are well known for their low compatibility with SATA DVD/BD drives.

The drivers from CD that came with the mobo is usually not the latest, you might want to download the latest from asus website.

I have also used the new drivers off asus website and it has made no change.

Where can I do background reading on north/southbridge controllers / chips - whatever they are? Any good links you know?

Hi
Looking to buy a pci sata 2 card - has a Silicon Image SATALink 3132 chipset which there are no bios updates for or flashes to a non raid version BIOS.

This should do the trick in getting my LG GGC-H20L to work right? Or wrong?

Buying from the below link…

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SATA-Serial-ATA-2-PCI-Express-300-Rate-RAID-Card-4-Port_W0QQitemZ220319714237QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_InterfaceCards?hash=item220319714237&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318#ebayphotohosting

Ok - to get this LG GGC H20L drive to work - set the BIOS to ACHI not RAID or SATA and then reinstall the OS - Im using Vista Home Premium. Mine drive is now working using a ASUS M2N-VM HDMI!
Using only the software CD supplied.

Thanks a lot p33tew !

At last I’ve found an answer !

I had the exact same issue with the LG GGC H20L and a ASUS M2N-VM DVI and all of the answers I got from the web were: “buy another SATA controler”.

The solution you’ve provided works perfectly.

zapmin your problem is solved…
can you help me?
i have same motherboard and having same problem with vista.

P33… saying set bios to ACHI .
where is that option cant find it… only can see ACHI and RAID.
Please help me.

zapmin your problem is solved…
can you help me?
i have same motherboard and having same problem with vista.

P33… saying set bios to ACHI .
where is that option cant find it… only can see SATA and RAID.
Please help me