Asus/LiteOn/LG?

vbimport

Hi guys, this is my first post. I am looking for a new drive after my AOpen gives me a lot of troubles.

I have narrowed down my choices to these three drives, Asus40x, LiteOn40x and also LG40x.

My main priority... Quality of the burned CD. I will be using it to burn VCD most of the time, sometimes Mp3 and also backup my HDD. I do not need SD2 backup capabilities as I never play games or own any games. I don't care about DAE also as I already have Asus 50x CDROM.

Which of these drives will give me the best Media Compability(Not picky, will burn perfectly on most CDR media, especially those mid-priced CDR media) and also produce Quality burned CD? < These two are very very important for me as previously AOpen drive produced skipping and "lagging" on my VCD regardless of what type of CDR media I used.

My research :
Asus40x = Nice design of the drive, with Play button on the drive, two leds. I am just not sure about the quality of the burned CD.

LiteOn40x = Everyone says "Go LiteOn, Go...". That's why I put it in my list. :slight_smile:

LG40x = No UDMA-33 support, but fast

Thanks in advance

Well if quality is a must for you, Plextor or Yamaha CANNOT be overlooked. Plextor is the king of reliability, and always produces the best quality CDs. I think for you the BEST drive you could get is the Plextor PleXWriter PX-W4012A (40/12/40). Plextor’s POWERec II gurantees quality across a broard base of media and will lower the recording speed for lower quality media to ensure a perfect write always :wink:

The 3 drives you mention all use the same chipset (MediaTeK), and there's not much diference in the burn quality.

Plextor may also be a little more expensive, but you “get what you pay for” :stuck_out_tongue:

Check out this link for more important info :cool:

Good luck in your decision :slight_smile:

I quality is important: Look into the TEAC 540, it have very good write quality.

The asus writer have a very crap tray, that’s all I could say about it. Don’t know anything about write quality since I do not have it.

The LG may be good at quality, But I really do not know since I do not have it.

Lite-On is very good at quality with most disc brands. But with some brands of discs it’s just not perfect.

btw, when we are talking about chipset: TEAC and Plextor 40X also uses mediatek chipset.

I am very interested with TEAC drives, but it is not available in my country. Surprisingly, one of their manufacturing plant is in my country… Malaysia.

As for Plextor and Yamaha, they are really overpriced here. Both of the drives are about 50% more expensive than any other drives in the same class.

Since I can’t find anymore reviews on Asus(other than CDRLabs). I will choose the LiteOn40x. Is there anything I should look into before paying for the drive?

Thank you very much for all your replies. :slight_smile:

Not that I can think of.

Make sure to buy some high quality media in the same go for use with the Lite-On. :wink:

The asus writer have a very crap tray, that’s all I could say about it. Don’t know anything about write quality since I do not have it.

Crap tray?Nothing wrong with the tray at all.As for quality,it’s as good as the rest of them.

Well if quality is a must for you, Plextor or Yamaha CANNOT be overlooked.

Plextor are overrated and overpriced.There great for audio but suck at game protection.

The Asus or lite-on will do every thing you’ll need.Maybe even try a Acer.

philips has yet to produce a coaster for me…probably 200 or so and counting. no vcds, yet, but they shall come.

LG is very good. LG LG LG LG LG LG :-):smiley:

lite-on cdrw are the best value .

I have an Ltr 16102b , it has not let me down yet and I have just copied command and conquer renegade , and it works brilliantly .

Plextors are nothing more than overpriced drives

anything else , you might have as well burned your money .

Plextor is the best choice, if price is not an issue.
LiteOn & LG are price/quality the best burners, in my opinion.

to cut through all the bull$h!t

if you want a burner that burns everything you tell it, and can read every protection and format, then…

it is an ASUS 4012A or 4816A you need.

they are your one stop for burner and reader.

and quality…you know asus.

As the others say, if money is no issue and you want a sturdy and good looking drive, Plextor is a good choice.

But if you’re a reasonable man, then get the cheapest, as they are all do very high quality burns.