Asus / LG /Lite-on / Pioneer or Samsung DVD Burner?

vbimport

Well my old PATA Pioneer DVR-109 has kicked the bucket, so thought about just getting a replacement SATA DVD burner since they are so cheap now. I dont have a use for Bluray burner/player yet, so not sure if updated chipsets/firmware in Bluray burners would result in better archival DVD burns?

I have the following choices -

Asus DRW-24D3ST
LG GH24NS95
Lite-On IHAS324
Pioneer DVR-220LBK
Samsung SH-224BB/BEBS

I use the following media TYG03 x16 DVD’s, just really after reliable archiving.

So far after researching, Im assuming the following -

Lite-On > LG (Liteon does better scans)
Pioneer 220 is just an okay average drive now after some chipset change in 1 or 2 models previously.

Im still researching, appreciate any helpful :slight_smile:

Similar question here. My [B]Pioneer DVR-116D[/B] died so I have to choose among:

[B]LG GH24NS95[/B],
[B]ASUS DRW-24B5ST[/B]
and
[B]SAMSUNG SH-S224BB[/B]

which are all the same price and I’ll probably buy [B]LG[/B] - unless someone gives me a reason to change the decision.

Darkage: go for the LiteOn, if you’re still researching. Then Samsung or Pioneer. Then LG or that particular model Asus.

Chupo: it might be better to go with the Asus (that particular one is a rebadged LiteOn, in most cases). Then either Samsung or LG; each should theoretically work.

[QUOTE=Albert;2689916]Chupo: it might be better to go with the Asus (that particular one is a rebadged LiteOn, in most cases). Then either Samsung or LG; each should theoretically work.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your reply!

Before Pioneer I had [B]SONY DW-G120A[/B] I flashed with [B]LITEON SHM-165P6S[/B]'s firmware and it indeed was a much better burner than Pioneer. There is one LiteOn I could buy - it’s [B]IHAS122-18[/B] but they don’t have it in the nearby store(s) so I’d have to wait for the delivery.

Regards

I can only disagree.
The Pio 116D probably was not Pioneers best burner, but one of the best overall and anyway compared to other mfg products.

[QUOTE=chef;2690929]I can only disagree.
The Pio 116D probably was not Pioneers best burner, but one of the best overall and anyway compared to other mfg products.[/QUOTE]I don’t know - my Pioneer was struggling reading DVDs other burners were reading without any problems, often reporting x8 instead x16 maximum burning speed (other burners reported x16 for the same media), was too often changing rotation speed during burning, stopped working after burning just small amount of media (not even 30% compared to Sony/Lite-On I had before) and couldn’t burn DVD-RAM (I think).

Anyway, now I’ve bought ASUS/Lite-On and it works like a charm.

Thanks everybody for the reply!

Yeah, maybe you had a dud…