Asus Dvd E616

Is there anyone been able to give a proper workthrough for flashing the firmware of the ASUS DVD E616.

I have tried it once with the program from ASUS but it gave an error message.

Second I tried using the MtkWinFlash tool, it gave an error, and it nearly gave me a hart attack . Looked like both my CDR and my DVD drive where affected because they wouldn’t enable in my Windows XP environment. After deleting them in Device Manager and a rescan they work fine, but still no higher firmware than Z.0

Is there really no simple working solution ??

BTW, what is there really to gain by upgrading the firmware of the DVD drive??:confused:

Perhaps it improves the known pitfalls of the Asus E616, such as slow CD recognition or maybe it just improves reading quality or similiar. I suggest you uninstall any IDE drivers and try MTKWinFlash again, or do it from DOS with normal MTKflash. I’ve had no problems whatsoever using normal MTKflash 1.62 on this drive both reading and writing.

I have the ASUS too and haven’t flashed him, cause he works great. The only usefull flash would be region free, but then again, if you push both the play and stop button on the drive while booting, the region selector resets to 5 again. So if it’s so hard to flash, just don’t.

Well as i posted at the firmware forum, i had problems with the asus flasher but it work fine with the latest MtkWinFlash and the bin BadReligionPR made.

I did it without having to change the cables.

Originally posted by BadReligionPR
I suggest you uninstall any IDE drivers and try MTKWinFlash again, or do it from DOS with normal MTKflash. I’ve had no problems whatsoever using normal MTKflash 1.62 on this drive both reading and writing.

What IDE driver are you refering to? :confused:

On Intel chipsets it is the Intel Application Accelerator, Via chipsets have the 4-in-1 driver, AMD and SiS chipsets have IDE drivers available. I suggest you try it with an XP boot disk and then you won’t need to worry about the IDE drivers.

Well I finaly made it happen.

I used MtkWinFlash (the latest version) and had to connect my Asus DVD e616 as a single Master device but it worked.

I now have firmware 2.1 instead of the strange Z.0

Thanks to Badreligion who’s firmware file and guidance I have used to get there :smiley: :wink: :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Bajoran
[B]Asus DVD e616 as a single Master device but it worked.

I now have firmware 2.1 instead of the strange Z.0[/B]

Your welcome. Are you saying you have firmware 2.1 with drive as master? For the rest of us Master gives Z and slave gives 2

[B]

Your welcome. Are you saying you have firmware 2.1 with drive as master? For the rest of us Master gives Z and slave gives 2 [/B]

It appears that the ASUS DVD E616 is very sensitive regarding the reading of the firmware.

I found out that when you attach the drive alone it will present itself with the firmware 2.0. When you attach a slave f.i. my ASUS CRW 5224A the 2 changes into a Z.

DVD as master only firmware 2.0
DVD as master with slave firmware Z.0

in my case this is now

DVD as master only firmware 2.1
DVD as master with slave firmware Z.1

The only reason I can think of is that the presence of another device on the same IDE channel creates interference regarding the presentation of the firmware level.

There is a button at the bottom of your posts called edit, you can use this to fix grammar mistake and other things

There is a button at the bottom of your posts called edit, you can use this to fix grammar mistake and other things

Thanks,

and you see it works :smiley: :slight_smile: :bigsmile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Okay i seemed to have done the same thing as the first guy.

i tried to flash my ASUS E616 which resulted in both my E616 and ASUS CRW-5224A no displaying in windows. I freaked and tried to reflash my E616 in DOS. However the bloddy disk had a read error and now my E616 is dead. I left my CRW 5224A alone so i’ going to try to save it by removing n re-installing. Hopefully that will work.

but how can i reflash my E616 to get it working again?!

thanx in advance!