Asus drw-24f1st

vbimport

(More generally).

I’m guessing this DRW-24F1ST series, is now Asus’ generic commodity line of internal half-height dvd drives contracted out to the current lowest priced OEM manufacturer.

The UL code written on the sticker on this Asus “DRW-24F1ST d” drive is E119002 which is consistent with LG.

http://productspec.ul.com/document.php?id=NWGQ.E119002

That´s surprising, I thought Asus did nothing change but name and FW-version of the rebadges.

The DRW-24D5MT have the same “issue” like the original, poor write speed selection

At this moment, I have no idea if LG’s own GH24NSC0 (or D0/D1) drives have been updated yet to eliminate this “fatal reading behavior” (jamless play) feature.

As mentioned in another thread, I’ll probably pick up the GH24NSC0 (or D0/D1) drive which has a 2018 manufactured date to see whether this is indeed the case. So far recently the nearby computer shops are out of stock of LG GH24NSC0 (or D0/D1) drives.

My C0 came with LK00, the D1 with LG00. never saw an update for these drives, and IIRC the read-issue exists since years and drive-generations, so I can´t believe LG change anything here.

The B0 was the last LG half height DVD-writer with an update from LM00 to LM01

Hope someone get the Pioneer-rebadge of the LG-drive. The QSI-made Pioneers disappear now in Germany

My situation is slightly more complicated.

My GH24NSC0 with no svc code, also had an LK00 firmware.

My GH24NSC0 with an “svc code: NSD0” has an LI00 firmware, which I’m guessing is really a GH24NSD0 (or D1) drive in disguise.

Definitely.

The earliest LG drive I have which has this “fatal reading behavior” (jamless play,) is a GH22LS50 manufactured in July 2009. (It has a Renesas chipset).

I had many generations of LG-drives, but never noticed this error. Used LG rarely for reading, also because in the past many drives had riplock

In my experience, this “fatal reading behavior” error only really occurs on dvd-video discs manufactured by “bottom feeder” companies with crappy quality control, and dvd-video discs which are badly damaged/scratched (such as former rental or library copies).

Do you remember which LG models started to remove the riplock ?

Currently I’m considering changing my primary dvd ripping drive to this Asus “DRW-24F1ST d” drive (LG rebadge without the “fatal reading behavior”). So far it appears to be slightly faster and “smarter” than my workhorse LiteOn iHAS124 F drive.

I’m still checking it too see how it rips my audio cds.

Nope, switched long time ago to Non-LG-drives for reading DVD-Video

What drives were you using over the years for ripping dvd-video discs?

Over the past decade or so, my primary dvd-video ripping drives were LiteOn. From the late 2000s to around mid-2015, my primary workhorse was an iHAS124 A rebadge until it died. It was heavily used almost every week, from mid-2011 to mid-2015.

After the iHAS124 A drive died, I purchased several iHAS124 E and F drives (or Asus rebadges of LiteOn) which have been my primary dvd-video ripping drives ever since mid-2015.

To avoid sending my LiteOn iHAS124 E and F drives into an early death from heavy ripping use, sometime in early-2016 I purchased several LG GH24NSC0 drives to rip dvd-video discs which I had already previously checked on my LiteOn drives. I still use the old dvddecrypter where I enable the packet header warnings, which will usually catch any “fatal reading behavior” problems.

For dvd-video discs which causes too many “fatal reading behavior” problems on my LG GH24NSC0 drives, I usually rip them using my Samsung SH-224FB / SH-224GB drives. The common “problem discs” I have encountered were typically double-sided DVD18 flipper discs. Universal, Warner and Fox released many tv show dvd season sets as double-sided flipper discs back in the mid->late 2000s. (Fortunately they were smart enough to discontinue this practice, and eventually re-released many of these old flipper discs sets as single-sided dvd discs. The single-sided dvd discs versions were much less error prone than the original double-sided flipper discs versions).

Every time I purchase any new dvd-video (or bluray) discs, I immediately check them on the computer to see if there are playback problems due to disc defects. I mainly look for semi-random unreadable bad sectors in the middle of a .vob (or .m2ts) file. (Deliberate unreadable bad sectors due to drm is an entirely different matter, and is handled very differently).

So if I find any semi-random bad sectors due to disc manufacturing defects, I’ll go back to the retailer and do an exchange for another copy (or get a refund).

So after I checked my newly purchased dvd (or bluray) discs on a LiteOn or Samsung drive (or Pioneer for blurays), I can be assured that these discs will most likely not trigger the “fatal reading behavior” on my LG drives when I rip them a second time (excluding double-sided flipper discs).

Asus DRW-24F1ST d

https://forum.cdrinfo.pl/f15/asus-drw-24f1st-d-96948/

Thanks czary2mary for the link.

I also ran opti on my “DRW-24F1ST d” drive, which looks identical to jadburner’s opti screenshot pic in the link (excluding the serial numbers). The same firmware revision, etc …

Interesting that jadburner’s photo of the sticker on the drive, quotes a June 2017 manufacturing date. This is highly suggestive ASUS changed from LiteOn to LG sometime in early->mid 2017 for their 24F1ST line of drives.

The last ASUS DRW-24F1ST drive I have which was a LiteOn iHAS124 F rebadge, has a manufacturing date of October 2016. I purchased this drive sometime in mid-2017. (I’ll have to find the original receipt to confirm the actual date I made the purchase).

Mostly used also LiteOn-drives, started with 1653S, also used Benq. Don´t make it so often like you maybe do :wink:

The LiteOn F-series is widely available, so I don´t have qualm to use it often :slight_smile:

I felt the same way about the iHAS*24 F drives, until they started to disappear from local computer shops over the past year or so. Both real LiteOns and Asus rebadges. (Vinpower never shows up in any local computer shops).

In the case of LG GH24NSC0, they’re still widely available locally. As far as I’m concerned, something being easily available + “fatal reading behavior” = expendable for heavy weekly ripping usage.

I have never seen this current Pioneer LG GH24NSD0 (or D1) rebadge yet at any local computer shops. So far it appears to be exclusive to the asian markets.

It would be interesting to figure out if there’s anything special about the firmware, such as the “fatal reading behavior” being removed or another significant modification. Or whether it is just a bog standard GH24NSD0 firmware with the model number string changed to “Pioneer”.

(Some wild speculation).

I wonder if ASUS actually paid to have their own custom firmware written for this “DRW-24F1ST d” model, where the “fatal reading behavior” was removed.

Or whether LG just “compiled” a new custom firmware, by turning on/off some options in their master code which generated the firmware. (ie. Literally on demand for new customers, such as Asus or Pioneer).

If LG is going to be making this GH24NSCD0 (or D1) model for the long term including rebadges made for other companies, then it would make sense to design their firmware generating program to be modular where options can be easily turned on/off on demand to generate new firmwares for new customers (which ask for certain features). Something like this might be a better selling point to a company like Asus or Pioneer, to jump ship to LG if the costs are really low or “on the house”.

I´m not sure Asus know this problem. And LG didn´t made big chances in the last years, my B0 have same burn quality as D0.

The only difference I found was the behaviour of the tray

Pioneer-drives, especially the latest QSI-made drives were hard to get here, never saw em in any local shops or discounters.

But I was surprised to find LiteOn-drives at Media Markt, LiteOn is rare in this market, my last local computer stores only have LG since years.

I suspect the only way Asus would know about “fatal reading behavior”, would be if the Asus C-level executives (who made the decision to change from LiteOn to LG for their bog standard dvd drives), actually asked hard questions about all the stuff that was written as “selling points” for LG’s dvd drives (such as “jamless play”).

If the Asus C-level executives (+ underlings) didn’t read websites which specialize in quality scans (such as here or cdrinfo.pl), then most likely they wouldn’t know anything about the burn quality of LG drives. LG’s own “selling points” on their website and product pamphlets, don’t really mention much about burn quality specifically.