Asus drw-24f1st

vbimport

Thanks for the info about the drive appearance (really useful)!

I’m surprised that F.U. can’t dump the firmware from the drive. There is an other way to dump the firmware - using the DosFlash 2.0 tool or LtnFlash in SFlash mode - but they require the SATA controller to be in IDE mode, not AHCI. Could you give it a try? In LiteOn section there is a sticky topic about newer LiteOn iHAS crossflashing, where the links to DosFlash 2.0 and instructions can be found.

Thanks!

FWIW, I also ran flash utility on my recently purchased iHAS124-14 FU drive (with a May 2015 manufacturing date).

It also has the same flash id and type numbers as the DRW-24F1ST c drive.

Flash ID C2 13 00 46 B*

Flash Type MXIC(MX25L8005) - (1-180)

If I had to guess, both drives are probably the same.

For comparison, I ran flash utility on a slightly older “iHAS124-14 EUV” drive with a November 2014 manufacturing date.

Flash Utility also couldn’t dump the firmware (ie. read flash button blanked out), but the Flash ID + Type numbers were completely different than the “iHAS124-14 FU” and “DRW-24F1ST c” results.

After several attempts at dumping the firmware from this “DRW-24F1ST c” drive (by different means) without any success, I largely gave up.

Earlier today I thought about returning this ASUS DRW-24F1ST c drive to the store for a refund. (It appears to be a straight rebadge of the iHAS124-14 FU drive I already have).

Just for fun before I went to work, I decided to flash the CL08 firmware (linked from this forum) to the ASUS drive, just to see what happens. It turns out it actually flashed fine and this ASUS drive is now an iHAS124 F CL08. So I changed my mind and I’m now keeping this drive.

I’ve noticed the reading behavior with the CL08 firmware, is slightly better than the previous asus firmware. Though this may be somewhat “subjective”.

Apparently on the old Asus firmware, sometimes the drive wasn’t going to full speed when ripping some movie dvd discs which I have previously ripped at full speed (12x or 16x). It’s not a riplock per se. But somehow when the drive was spinning up, it “sometimes got lost” and remained at a lower speed. This happened on quite a few discs, while other discs were fine and ripping at full speed.

With the CL08 firmware, this “sometimes getting lost” and not going to full speed behavior was somewhat lessened. Though not completely eliminated. (My “iHAS124 E” drive didn’t have this problem).

Just bourght a liteon ihas 124 fu.
Did you get it to work?
The Xbox cant read the xdg3 games

[QUOTE=jcroy;2767740]I’ve noticed the reading behavior with the CL08 firmware, is slightly better than the previous asus firmware. Though this may be somewhat “subjective”.

[B]Apparently on the old Asus firmware, sometimes the drive wasn’t going to full speed when ripping some movie dvd discs which I have previously ripped at full speed (12x or 16x). It’s not a riplock per se. But somehow when the drive was spinning up, it “sometimes got lost” and remained at a lower speed. This happened on quite a few discs, while other discs were fine and ripping at full speed.[/B]

With the CL08 firmware, this “sometimes getting lost” and not going to full speed behavior was somewhat lessened. Though not completely eliminated. (My “iHAS124 E” drive didn’t have this problem).[/QUOTE]

I think I may have found a partial solution to this problem of current LiteOn/Asus drives “sometimes getting lost and not going to full speed” behavior when a dvd disc is first being read.

The easiest way around this problem, is to run Nero Drivespeed in the background.

Before a disc is read, I set the Drivespeed to “silent” or another slower speed (such as 6x or 8x). When the LiteOn iHAS-124 FU (or Asus rebadge of iHAS-124 FU) is first reading a disc, somehow Nero Drivespeed ends up going to maximum speed (12x or 16x). If that doesn’t happen, I eject the disc and set Drivespeed to another slower speed, and read the disc again. After the disc goes to maximum speed (judging by the sound of the drive’s motor), I’ll start up the ripping program (ie. dvddecrypter, anydvd, dvdfab, etc …) about 10 seconds later.

I don’t run any dvd ripping/copying programs when the iHAS-124 FU (or Asus rebadge of iHAS-124 FU) is first reading a disc.

Hopefully the next firmware revision for iHAS-124 FU will solve this issue.

[QUOTE=jcroy;2769207]

[QUOTE=jcroy;2767740]
I’ve noticed the reading behavior with the CL08 firmware, is slightly better than the previous asus firmware. [B][U]Though this may be somewhat “subjective”.[/U][/B]

With the CL08 firmware, this “sometimes getting lost” and not going to full speed behavior was somewhat lessened. Though not completely eliminated. [B][U](My “iHAS124 E” drive didn’t have this problem).[/U][/B][/QUOTE]

I think I may have found a partial solution to this problem of current LiteOn/Asus drives “sometimes getting lost and not going to full speed” behavior when a dvd disc is first being read.

[B][U]Hopefully the next firmware revision for iHAS-124 FU will solve this issue.[/U][/B][/QUOTE]

Over this weekend I decided to see how common this “getting lost and not going to full speed” behavior happens on iHAS124 E models/rebadges.

Ripping two dozen dvd discs on an iHAS124 E and an asus rebadge (DRW-24B3ST) model, it appears this behavior also happens with some frequency. My previous impressions may very well have been subjective and “selective memory” on my part, with not much basis on good evidence.

This may possibly be endemic to LiteOn models/rebadges manufactured over the past several years. Upgrading/changing the firmware probably won’t do much, unless a newer firmware is modified to specifically address this particular issue.

Nevertheless, the easiest workaround for this issue on the iHAS124 E and F models/rebadges, is using the Nero Drivespeed trick mentioned in the previous post.

I’ve been keeping an eye on the DRW-24F1ST drives which are regularly stocked at local computer stores, over the past 5+ months or so. I’ve noticed some slight differences in the model numbers written on the sticker on the bottom of the drive:

• (manufacturing date) model number

• (August and September 2015) DRW-24F1ST-[B]U22

[/B][B]-[/B] (November and December 2015) DRW-24F1ST-[B]U29

-[/B] (February 2016) DRW-24F1ST-[B]29

[/B]So far I have not seen any models with manufacturing dates of October 2015 and January 2016.

Judging by the timeline of LiteOn iHAS124 F drives, where the CL98 firmware models started to appear with the October 2015 manufacturing date, I would guess the DRW-24F1ST-U29 (Nov and Dec 2015) and DRW-24F1ST-29 (Feb 2016) models are possibly rebadges of the LiteOn iHAS124 F CL98/CL99 series drives.

Though what exactly is the differences between the -U29 and -29 models, remains to be seen.

In my investigations of my DRW-24F1ST-U22 drive (Sept 2015 manufacturing date) with different crossflashed firmwares, I’m guessing my -U22 drive is a rebadge of the LiteOn iHAS124 F CL05/CL06/CL07/CL08/CL09 drive.

The ripping behavior of my DRW-24F1ST-U22 drive is almost identical to my genuine iHAS124 F CL09 drive with a May 2015 manufacturing date (originally a CL06 factory default firmware). In contrast, the ripping behavior of my DRW-24F1ST-U22 drive does not really resemble the behavior of my genuine iHAS124 F CL98 drive with an October 2015 manufacturing date.

[QUOTE=jcroy;2774221]Judging by the timeline of LiteOn iHAS124 F drives, where the CL98 firmware models started to appear with the October 2015 manufacturing date, I would guess the DRW-24F1ST-U29 (Nov and Dec 2015) and DRW-24F1ST-29 (Feb 2016) models are possibly rebadges of the LiteOn iHAS124 F CL98/CL99 series drives.

[B]Though what exactly is the differences between the -U29 and -29 models, remains to be seen.[/B][/QUOTE]

The only semi-plausible guess I can think off offhand for possible differences between the -U29 and -29 models, could be the -U29 model being a rebadge of iHAS124 F with a CL98 firmware, and the -29 model being a rebadge of the CL99 firmware.

The official date of the CL99 firmware is December 3, 2015.

The official date of the CL98 firmware is September 2, 2015.

(Thanks to czary2mary1 for these pics).

The November/December 2015 manufacturing dates of the -U29 model could be consistent with a CL98 firmware rebadge, while the February 2016 manufacturing date of the -29 model might be consistent with a CL99 firmware rebadge.

Hi guys!

I bought a few months ago one piece of this “ASUS DRW-24F1ST a”, wich comes with 1.00 fw revision.

You would know tell me which media can be written to this drive to 24x, 22x, 20x or 18x?

I tried the ProdiscS05 media RITEKF1, MCC 03RG20, CMC MAG.AM3 and none of them enabled speeds greater than 16x. I would like to do some tests at high speed with this recorder and I can not.

My GH24NSC0 can record the MCC 03RG20 media to 24x without any major problems, including those using fake MID, with results so satisfactory.

Probably OEM software allows you to record over x16 for several media TaiyoYuden \ MKM … or OPC or SATA drivers do not allow for higher speed record …

Well…

Here is Brazil… TY / MKM are really rare…
This burner are plugged onto same PC as my GH24NSC0…
Maybe Asus can be “locked” these speeds? It’s offer 14x burn but not 18/20/22/24…

Check the drive allows for individual media for faster recording?

I don’t think Samsung drives overspeed many media. It may only be Taiyo Yuden that works above 16x.

Yes… i checked… probably only TYG03 media allowed burn at 24x…

hello comunity i buy a dvd writer ‘‘asus drw-24f1st a’’ manofactured jan 2014 i can´t find firmware help plz

We have also cleaned up the topic of TSST Samsung SH-224 BB \ DB \ FB crossflash and their OEM equivalents Asus DRW-24F1ST \ F1ST a \ F1MT
More information :

This past weekend I purchased a current asus “DRW-24F1ST d” drive with a December 2017 manufacturing date.

This current “d” revision does not appear to be a Samsung or LiteOn rebadge at all.

As far as I can tell, the metal chassis looks like an LG drive. The “factory id” code written on the sticker is “Factory ID: GH” which is consistent with most of my LG drives manufactured after 2010.

All the noises/sounds this “d” revision drive makes, is almost identical with my other LG GH24NSC0 drives.

Though the one big difference between this Asus “DRW-24F1ST d” and my LG GH24NSC0 drives, is that the “fatal reading behavior” appears to be completely gone in the “DRW-24F1ST d” drive. I ran some defective dvd discs which were known to trigger the “fatal reading behavior” on my LG dvd drives. It turns out on this “DRW-24F1ST d” drive, it just returns back a read error on the unreadable sectors, and not a bunch of sectors filled with zeros.

Liteon iHAS124, iHAS324 F (DH24AF)
Asus drw-24d5mt
How long do burners last? In the dvd days, a friend said they're only good for about 200 discs