ASUS DRW-24F1ST - What is the minimum CD-R burning speed?

vbimport

Guys, I need a little help from you, owners of this drive

What’s the minimal speed for CD-R recording on this drive?

I’ve been having trouble with my LG GH24NS90 lately. Some PSOne games recorded on it run, others don’t, though the data gets successfully written to the disc. Minimum speed is 16x. I also have an old Samsung drive on another PC at home, which, besides also burning at 16x, always produces playable discs. I know my LG HD24NS90 is probably the culprit here, but I would appreciate the ability to burn at lower speeds than 16x.

Andre, I’ve moved your post into it’s own thread as it didn’t really relate to the topic of the thread you originally posted it in.

That said, what brand of CD-Rs have you been burning? Your problem may be one of synergy of the blanks with the burner, not a drive problem.

Thank you, and sorry for posting in the wrong place :doh:

I’m burning some Verbatim branded CMC CD-Rs.

[QUOTE=andrebrait;2701706]Thank you, and sorry for posting in the wrong place :doh:[/quote]Not to worry. Hopefully your question will have higher visibility in it’s own thread and get the answer you’re after regarding the DRW-24F1ST than in the bottom of that one.

I’m burning some Verbatim branded CMC CD-Rs.
Verbatim CD-R’s aren’t the best, but they’re usually decent. What burning speeds have you tried? Do the discs pass a verify?

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2701712]Not to worry. Hopefully your question will have higher visibility in it’s own thread and get the answer you’re after regarding the DRW-24F1ST than in the bottom of that one.

Verbatim CD-R’s aren’t the best, but they’re usually decent. What burning speeds have you tried? Do the discs pass a verify?[/QUOTE]

I’m using the minimum allowed by my LG GH24NS90, which is 16x. Have tried with 24x as well…

I’ve got mixed results… some discs won’t play, some will, some will but then won’t after some time. My PS2 reads original games and audio CDs pretty well. It also plays the games as long as I burn in my mom’s PC, which uses a Samsung recorder (can’t remember which model).

Since it’s not my PC and this suggests some kind of problem or incompatiblity with my GH24NS90, I started looking for a new drive and ended here. But maybe it’s just some kind of incompatibility between the media and my drive.

Ps.: The discs pass verify

I’m looking into buying this drive (the ASUS DRW-24F1ST) if the problem here is my current one

That asus burner you mention is a samsung underneath anyway , and id change your blanks to jvc/taiyo yuden burnt at 24x-32x my ps1 and dreamcast games come out perfectly with said media and burner

Thanks. I know where to buy some TYs, but they cost 3 times the price of a Sony or Prodisc. Can’t find any JVCs around here. If my problem persists and my mom’s samsung continues to burn successfully, I’ll buy this Asus

[QUOTE=marcus_667;2701741]That asus burner you mention is a samsung underneath anyway , and id change your blanks to jvc/taiyo yuden burnt at 24x-32x my ps1 and dreamcast games come out perfectly with said media and burner[/QUOTE]So, what is the minimum burning speed? Can it burn at 4x or 8x?

TY will do 4x on the samsung but i wouldnt recommend it

Well, I guess that after 8 tries, with 100% failure rate on my GH24NS90 and 100% success on my mom’s Samung, it’s pretty likely that it’s my drive’s fault.

I’m going to replace it ASAP.

I know the ASUS is good, but if you guys were to recommed the best drive ever made, in your opinion, what would it be?

[QUOTE=andrebrait;2701757]I know the ASUS is good, but if you guys were to recommend the best drive ever made, in your opinion, what would it be?[/QUOTE]
Best drive for doing what? CD burning?

BTW, what Samsung were you using?

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2701758]Best drive for doing what? CD burning?

BTW, what Samsung were you using?[/QUOTE]

For CD Burning, yeah (and DVD too, if possible)

For DVD Burning it seems my GH24NS90 is still in good shape, though.

I was using a SH-S203D

If you’re burning top shelf DVD media like JVC/TY 8x DVD+R (YUDEN T02) or Verbatim 16x DVD+R (MCC 004) there seems to be just about very little difference between DVD burners. There seems to be more difference between drives with cheaper media.

On CD burning there seems to be more variance between drives. A lot of people will tell you that the Plextor Premium or Premium 2 are the best CD burners ever made. I recently got one (used), and I can certainly tell you they’re not worth the sky high price they sell for used on eBay (typically ~$100-$300).

I attempted to do a giant comparison of burners here as it pertains to CD burning, but the inconsistency of the Verbatim DataLifePlus 52x CD-R media I used ruined the test and made the results invalid.

The asus can be crossflashed into a samsung so i would pick one up if you are getting a new burner

Thanks guys.

As for the media I shoudl buy, I’ve opened this thread in the proper sub-forum

Thank you for helping me =)