Asus drw-24d5mt

I have a new HP desktop at work and the first time I saw it I though it did not have an optical drive. But it does have a slim one with a tray that has a front the same as the case, which makes it almost invisible.

Thanks for the clarification.

I googled up some more stuff on HP assembled desktop computers. I found a pdf document which outlined an HP Z8 G4 workstation, with a January 23, 2019 date.

Looking through this document, it asserts the dvdr (or bluray) drives are slim internal drives with no dvd-ram support. Though I can’t figure out whether it is an LG or LiteOn rebadge (or something else) from reading through the technical specs outlined in that document.

I suspect the slim bluray-r drive option is most likely an LG rebadge. (Assuming LiteOn does not manufacture their own internal blurayr drives anymore). Pioneer doesn’t list any internal slim bluray-r drives on their website.

https://pioneer-iot.com/product-category/bd-and-dvd/
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Computer/Computer+Drives

https://www.vinpowerdigital.com/main/product.aspx?CategoryID=121&Keyword=Vinpower_Blu-ray_Duplication_Drive

Vinpower admits outright that their bluray-r drive model was developed with LG, where they assigned an LG style catalog number to it: WH16NS58DUP

I still have my original Coolermaster Stacker from over 10 years ago, with ten (10) 5.25" optical drives in there and one 5.25" bay storing two SSDs. :slight_smile:

Dropped by costco earlier today and noticed they had an HP Pavillion desktop on display that was plugged in.

Looking through the device list, it appears the slim dvdr drive is a PLDS DU8AESH

Basically a LiteOn.

Don´t forget, LiteOn is also a big PSU-manufacturer for HP

Vinpower still have 3 DVD-drives, Plextor + Optiarc + Piodata from LiteOn

I noticed some Lenovo desktops also had PLDS drives.

One of my external dvdr drives is Lenovo branded, but was really a PLDS LiteOn design. (The sticker on the bottom explicitly mentions PLDS).

I wouldn’t be surprised if HP, Lenovo, Vinpower, etc … will continue to use LiteOn rebadges, until somebody else (ie. LG) offers them a better deal, once their current contracts with LiteOn are expired.

In principle LiteOn could unilaterally shut down their dvdr drive manufacturing business. (ie. Similar to what Sony Optiarc did). Though the earliest this could be done unilaterally, is once all their current contracts for dvdr drives has expired.

Lenovos Workstations use already LG-rebadges like the GHC0N

If LG still makes money with ODDs maybe LiteOn do the same :wink:

Do you know when Lenovo dropped LiteOn dvdr drives altogether?

I’ve always wondered what were the exact reasons companies like Sony, Plextor, BenQ, etc … abandoned the odd market, but not LG, LIteOn, or Pioneer.

Nope, personally I build my own PCs and at work my employee changed 2 years ago from HP to Lenovo.

Sony always started with something and left the market if the prices get cheaper. Dunno why NEC/Optiarc was bought, maybe because of Playstation and StandaloneDVD/BD-drives? Sony started to rebadge LiteOn CD-RW-drives at 24x (first 24x 175E1 were Sony, 175A1 LiteOn). Sony´s own DVD-RW-drives was a strange thing, Sony shocked the competitors with 1st DVD-writer which burn -R and +R.

As I started with CD-drives LG was not very popular on German market, I was not a fan of it in the beginning. But LG started to build CD-RW-drives which were much better readers than their CD-/DVD-ROM-drives and did it similar to LiteOn which offer drive after drive. Don´t remember how many drives with almost the same technical specs they release.

Plextor gave up because of the price war.

Pioneer surprises me too, still active with BD-R-drives and cheaper than LG in this segment. Maybe they still build own drives because of Standalone-players?

Dunno why Benq/Philips gave up so early, 1640 was one of the best drives I ever had. Had also weak points, but the burn-quality especially with +R-media was awesome

I also remember brand like Cyberdrive, Optorite, BTC, Mitsumi, AOpen, Ricoh, Teac, Toshiba, Yamaha, Sanyo, Nu tech, Asus (yes, build also own drives) But most I remember not that good and it was long time ago

I always hoped that Yamaha would go into the DVD and further drives construction & production. Never happened. :frowning:
It’s like with Sanyo & Fisher who wanted to introduce a standalone CD burner into the market in 1998…

Lenovo computers use(d) LG (HL-DT-ST) drives since years. :wink:

I guess Yamaha gave up that business because of the much cheaper competitors.

Recently I had some older drives in my hand, the Teac CD-W 512 and Yamaha CRW-F1. If I compare with actial drives, these old drives feels very heavy and stable. The 512 have a weight of 1,2kg, the F1 have 0,9kg. Actual drives have 0,65kg

I mostly refer to the old but gold drives which ALL came with SCSI2 connectors. :wink:
I.e. Philips CDD2600 (or its HP rebadge) or the lovely drives made by Yamaha.
Even the Panasonic 7502 (Matsushita-Kotobuki CD-R 4xwrite CW-7502-B SCSI) made it all cheaper onwards…

I remember some SCSI-drives but never owned one. The best reason for SCSI were the low CPU-load and more reliable datatransfer.

But after IDE-drives with Buffer-Underrun-protection, UDMA-transfer and faster CPUs/IDE-HDDs the reason for SCSI-drives disappear for most users.

If I remember correct the Plextor 4012TS was the last SCSI-drive, but I´m not sure whether it was a real SCSI or the IDE-drive with an internal SCSI-bridge

Did you really use your old SCSI-drives still?

The slim optical drive of my new HP desktop at work is identified as “hp HLDS”.

I never had a scsi optical disc drive.

The first optical drive I ever had, was a cdrom drive which connected to a Soundblaster sound card. (This was in the days before IDE connections were available for cdrom drives).

No additional info?

hp HLDS DVDRW GUD1N

Yup, i.e. the Pioneer DVR-201S drives for DVD-RA. :wink:
I started with my AMIGAs into CD burning in early 1997 - SCSI2 was the best choice. Affordable HDDs had around 700 to 900 MB capacity and the only available 1x & 2x rated CD-R (650MB) came from Philips and Kodak - DM 12 to 15 a piece in a Jewelcase of course. :smiley: