ASUS DRW-24B3ST to iHAS crossflash?

vbimport

Has anyone tried this? I’m assuming this drive could be an iHAS-324 B or 524–I believe someone reported that both versions of the DRW-24B3ST used the same chipset, so should be LabelTag capable.

My nieve attempt to put AL18 on my DRW-24B3ST failed quickly with Flash Utility v6.0.1.

Nope you will need a Asus DRW-24B3[U][B]LT[/B][/U] drive to get Light Scribe or to have a chance of
cross flashing it to a iHAS-524 / 624 to get Labeltag as the 24B3ST doesn’t support any
kind of LightScribe or Labeltag functions as it is the same thing as a Liteon iHAS-324 the
only thing it supports is the Smart Erase function. :iagree:

[QUOTE=willmore;2582281]Has anyone tried this? I’m assuming this drive could be an iHAS-324 B or 524–I believe someone reported that both versions of the DRW-24B3ST used the same chipset, so should be LabelTag capable.
My nieve attempt to put AL18 on my DRW-24B3ST failed quickly with Flash Utility v6.0.1.[/QUOTE]
Crossflashed my DRW-24B3ST to iHAS524B AL27. LabelTag functions. AL18 is for iHAS324B.

[QUOTE=NewFish;2582330]Crossflashed my DRW-24B3ST to iHAS524B AL27. LabelTag functions. AL18 is for iHAS324B.[/QUOTE]

I didn’t think the 24B3ST would support Labeltag so… guess I learned something new today. :iagree: :bigsmile:

LabelTag only requires the use of the existent laser pick-up, as it doesn’t need an extra hardware for LightScribe.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. They’re assure me I’m not completely losing it. :slight_smile:

Yes, my understanding was that LabelTag/SmartErase require no extra hardware–just some firmware and chipset support. It’s good to see that confirmed.

Newfish, what procedure did you use to perform your crossflash? I tried using the flash tool and it said that the flash failed–very quickly.

Then again, this is the only drive I have on my Intel SATA ports which are in AHCI mode. The rest of the ODs are on the Sil3114 card. I had problems with AHCI mode Intel SATA ports in the past–search the forum for my pain. Thanks on that one went to Slovenheart for pointing out the issue. I guess I could shuffle a drive around long enough to do the crossflash if the nature of the port is the issue.

[QUOTE=willmore;2582417]
Newfish, what procedure did you use to perform your crossflash? I tried using the flash tool and it said that the flash failed–very quickly.
Then again, this is the only drive I have on my Intel SATA ports which are in AHCI mode. The rest of the ODs are on the Sil3114 card. I had problems with AHCI mode Intel SATA ports in the past–search the forum for my pain. Thanks on that one went to Slovenheart for pointing out the issue. I guess I could shuffle a drive around long enough to do the crossflash if the nature of the port is the issue.[/QUOTE]
I use the procedure of C0deKing http://club.myce.com/f44/crossflash-ihas124-b-320122/#post2577448
and binary fw AL27. My Intel SATA ports are in IDE mode. 24B3ST@iHAS524B is on Sil3512 card eSATA,

Okay, then it’s the normal procedure. I’ll mode the drive to a port on the Sil controller and try again. Thanks!

I swapped the drive to one of the Sil ports and the conversion went perfectly–just like it should have on the Intel ports. Oh, well. Sticky this one in your ‘how to flash drives’ notes, folks. Intel SATA ports in AHCI mode(at least on Win7/64) don’t work.

Thanks, everyone!

Hello everyone!

I have Asus DRW-24B3LT. I just installed win 8 (64bit), and always after a clean install of the OS i check to download new drivers and firmware updates for all my components from my PC.

I checked on Assus support site, no firmware for my drive, and then i google it and i find out about crossflash, i have to admit im a noobie on this and i dont know nothing about it, just a few threads readed on forums.

So if i have no firmware to download is good to crossflash my drive?

My Assus has Lightscribe and LabelTag if i crossflash will i loose those? (or i can crossflash and still have them)

Also i dont want this ONLY for xbox 360 (i actually dont have consoles and probably dont buy one) as i readed on forums and here that liteon is best choice, well i want to know if this crossflashing will make my drive better and if a liteon is a good choice for me.

I use my drive only for making audio cds a lot, and for burning my data on dvds etc.

Thank in advance!

anybody help?

[QUOTE=mindscan;2682286]anybody help?[/QUOTE]

For your burning purposes, I don’t see any need to risk the dangers of cross-flashing. The iHAS/ASUS drives were released with quite good firmwares. And newer firmwares are NOT always better. While a new firmware might give a slight increase in burn quality on one media, you’ll sometimes find a decrease in quality on another. If your discs are burning well currently, that drive is good enough to stick to “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” ;).

[QUOTE=mindscan;2682286]anybody help?[/QUOTE]

Well I also flashed my 243BST to an iHAS324 using C0deKing instructions with no problem but there was no noticeable effect in burn performance/quality. So unless you want to do 360 burns then don’t bother cross flashing.

It looks like I’ll have one in a few days.
Let’s see if I’m the lucky one to crossflash it successfully…

Good luck :bow: