ASUS DRW-24B1ST and Sony Optiarc AD-7260S-0B - $17 FS

vbimport

Both $17 with free shipping!

I may grab a couple for spare drives. They are supposed to be the same correct? Which one would you get?

Those are very good drives, however they’re not the same. The DRW-24B1ST is a re-badged Lite-On that uses a Mediatek chipset. It can be cross flashed to an iHAS324-A. Note that these are not the most current Mediatek-based drives that Asus offers; they also sell the DRW-24B[B]3[/B]ST/LT series. Since most of the Lite-On drives available these days seem to be the -Y type that are based on an NEC chipset, the Asus DRW- series are one of the few guaranteed ways to get the equivalent of a real Mediatek-based Lite-On.

The first generation AD-7260S drives used an NEC chipet, and I believe the -0B drives do also.

Once again they’re both very good drives, and you should check out the results threads for each to base your purchasing decision on.

I thought the NEC chipset was preferable and sought after INSTEAD of the mediatek chipset whent the first Optiarc chipset was found in a Lite-On.
Lately I’ve been reading of people now wanting the mediatek chipset.
What gives?

You’re joking, right? The NEC chipsets were only prefereable back in the days of the Optiarc AD-7200 series drives, and that was only for burning. MediaTek has always been preferable for those who want a more flexible drive that can burn, scan, and read well. NEC only burns well, but sucks at scanning and reading.

In addition, the main claim to fame of the AD-7240 series drives was their ability to burn dual-layer media. They were never as good at burning single-layer media as the older AD-7200 or the newer SH-S243 drives from Samsung.

Also, the other issue is the atrophy of the optical drive ecosystem. At one point, it semed like MediaTek was becoming scarce, and all the drives being put on the market were rebadged NEC chipset models. We can buy the Sony AD-7260 series directly, we don’t need a bunch of rebadges. People are sick and tired of all these rebadges of the same drive. They’re completely unnecessary and boring.

Rebadges were fun and important back in the day when you had the Nexperia chipset BenQ drives, but now, rebadges are killing the optical drive market.

So anyway, because most people already own one or more AD-7240 or AD-7260 series drives, they have no need for rebadged versions of those drives. They’re redundant. It’s MediaTek drives that have become valuable and rarer commodities now because they are harder to find.

[QUOTE=negritude;2564885]You’re joking, right? The NEC chipsets were only prefereable back in the days of the Optiarc AD-7200 series drives, and that was only for burning. MediaTek has always been preferable for those who want a more flexible drive that can burn, scan, and read well. NEC only burns well, but sucks at scanning and reading.

In addition, the main claim to fame of the AD-7240 series drives was their ability to burn dual-layer media. They were never as good at burning single-layer media as the older AD-7200 or the newer SH-S243 drives from Samsung.

Also, the other issue is the atrophy of the optical drive ecosystem. At one point, it semed like MediaTek was becoming scarce, and all the drives being put on the market were rebadged NEC chipset models. We can buy the Sony AD-7260 series directly, we don’t need a bunch of rebadges. People are sick and tired of all these rebadges of the same drive. They’re completely unnecessary and boring.

Rebadges were fun and important back in the day when you had the Nexperia chipset BenQ drives, but now, rebadges are killing the optical drive market.

So anyway, because most people already own one or more AD-7240 or AD-7260 series drives, they have no need for rebadged versions of those drives. They’re redundant. It’s MediaTek drives that have become valuable and rarer commodities now because they are harder to find.[/QUOTE]
I’ll have to agree 100% with what negritude said except that I never did have any good luck with burning DL media
on my Optiarc AD-7240S drives none what so ever. :disagree:

How do the DRW-24B1ST and DRW-24B3ST/LT differ?

So, all the Lite-Ons at newegg have Optiarc chipsets?

[QUOTE=Parato Optimal;2564942]How do the DRW-24B1ST and DRW-24B3ST/LT differ?[/QUOTE]

They have different chip-sets in them the 24B1ST has the older MTK chip-set where as the
24B3ST/LT has the newer MTK chip-set in them. The main difference between the 24B3ST
and the 24B3LT is the 24B3ST doesn’t have LightScribe where as the 24B3LT does have
LightScribe.

No not all of them are NEC chip-set drives these 2 right here are guaranteed to be MTK chip-set drives

LITE-ON iHAS-324-98[B]B [/B]notice the [U][B]B [/B][/U]it has the newer MTK chip-set

LITE-ON iHAS524-T98[B]A [/B]it has the older MTK chip-set in it

and these next 3 drives are what I call[B] take a chance and hope drives[/B] as they may or may not be
MTK chip-set but most likely NEC chip-set drives

LITE-ON iHAS124-04? could be MTK or NEC or even the B version of the MTK chip-set

LITE-ON iHAS224-06? just like the 124-04 could be either one

LITE-ON iHAS424-98? just like the 2 drives above could be either one of those chip-sets

So, the Asus DRW-24B1ST with the old chip is essentially the same as the Lite-On DRW-24B3ST with the new chip? The hardware is the same and the chip is no better and has no more room for more code than the old chip? Perhaps it was just a cost and availability issue?? There’s no reason to get the $19.99 Lite-On over the $16.99 Asus?

Sorry for all the questions. I’ve been away from researching and testing Lite-Ons lately. I got one of the first Sony (Lite-On) 22X, I think it was AD-7260S, when it came out with an Optiarc chipset that everyone said wasn’t just in name only but seemed to be of the famed, old NEC lineage. I used NEC and HP at work ages ago but never owned an NEC/Optiarc. I haven’t done any testing with my Sony/Lite-On. I just stored it away. I use 16X BenQ’s and 16X Lite-On’s as my work horses. I’m wondering if I should store away one of these Asus or Lite-Ons mentioned or if I should wait. I have plenty of drives in reserve and perhaps prices could be this good or better in the Spring. If the old chip Asus and the new chip Lite-On are the “same”, perhaps the Asus will be $15 and the Lite-On $17 in the Spring. I can stand to save money around Christmas and spend $3 more later if I have to for the $19.99 Lite-On. Thinking out loud.

[QUOTE=getit29;2564896]I’ll have to agree 100% with what negritude said except that I never did have any good luck with burning DL media
on my Optiarc AD-7240S drives none what so ever. :disagree:[/QUOTE]

I read the reviews of the NEC 7200 and 7240 on this forum, and also contributors’ experiences, was impressed by the relatively low and flat error rates, especially on the layer break of DL scans, so bought a bunch of such drives, but scarcely had good luck with them. They were sometimes good and sometimes poor, and I lost a bunch of MIS Verbatim true 8x DL disks (and time writing on them and scanning with a Benq 1655). One 7240, right out of the box, twice gave me the error in the finalizing stage, also reported by Some Random Guy in the thread “iHAS524-T98A At Newegg”, http://club.myce.com/f44/ihas524-t98a-newegg-314526/ so I never used that drive again.

“Like getit29, I’ve retired two 7240S and a 7241S because the burning quality was ‘meh’, plus a lot of DL Verbatims seemed to fail when finalizing.”

So keep that in mind when you buy a NEC drive or a NEC rebadge from LiteOn.

The new true LiteOn A drives are good with DL, but not spectacular, and for spectacular DL writing, you have to go back to drives no longer in production.

so what id the best dl drive? I still have a 1640 and a 1655 some place

I know you can no longer find them but the Pioneer 111L was the drive that gave me the best results.
budzos

You can find the 111 D on ebay.

My favorite DL burner used to be my 111, and they ARE NEC chipset drives as well but maybe the older ones do better for most folks. Now my best one as far as speed and disks that just always work is my also older LG H22n drive I got quite a while ago.
It doesn’t always test out great, but the disks, no matter what crappy no name DL disk I throw in it, always work.:bow:My 7240 has been good sometimes with DL, and sometimes not. My 1655 and 1640 drives almost never made good DL disks so I consider them single layer and testing drives only.