ASUS DRW-2014L1 - doesn't burn!

[QUOTE=EvilBliss;2165023]Well that just sucks! Then why could I’ve burned 3 dvd’s sucessfully, from the million of tries that I did? Pure luck?[/QUOTE]

Variable quality, depending on what brand the discs are. Also, the burner’s support for them may not be that great - some burners have trouble with media that others seem to burn well.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2165026]Variable quality, depending on what brand the discs are. Also, the burner’s support for them may not be that great - some burners have trouble with media that others seem to burn well.[/QUOTE]

So, for my ASUS I need to buy Verbatim DVD’s forever? And if they don’t work?

[QUOTE=EvilBliss;2165028]So, for my ASUS I need to buy Verbatim DVD’s forever? And if they don’t work?[/QUOTE]

Verbatim is the safest bet (or even something like Sony, if they’re easier to find) - but, to really find out what your burner likes is a matter of trial and error.

Did you check that the drive is running in UDMA Mode 4, as per bjkg’s suggestion?

[QUOTE=Arachne;2165030]Verbatim is the safest bet (or even something like Sony, if they’re easier to find) - but, to really find out what your burner likes is a matter of trial and error.

Did you check that the drive is running in UDMA Mode 4, as per bjkg’s suggestion?[/QUOTE]

Ok I don’t get that cable deal =(

Do I need to check inside the computer?

[QUOTE=EvilBliss;2165034]Ok I don’t get that cable deal =(

Do I need to check inside the computer?[/QUOTE]

Just check your Current Transfer Modes in Device Manager - if the Asus is UDMA Mode 4, then you have an 80-wire cable. If it’s UDMA Mode 2, then you have a 40-wire one, and it would be a good idea to change it. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2165035]Just check your Current Transfer Modes in Device Manager - if the Asus is UDMA Mode 4, then you have an 80-wire cable. If it’s UDMA Mode 2, then you have a 40-wire one, and it would be a good idea to change it. ;)[/QUOTE]

I can’t find it, where in Device Manager?

EDIT: Is it this? http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/3064829370_51d0c5cd7c_o.jpg

@ EvilBliss,

From your #20 postings it appears that you have successfully burned 3 CMC Mag AM3 DVD-R disks. Now you are having difficulty with burning CMC Mag AM3 DVD-R disks which heavily supports my original statements concerning that Media MID CMC Mag AM3 in many instances can be poor quality problematic Media with a wide variance in quality. Note I stated that Media MID CMC MagAM3 could have a wide variance in quality. Using CMC Mag AM3 DVD-R Media is like playing Russian Roulette – sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t.

Taiyo Yuden Media in many circles is considered the very best Media available. Unaware of your location but if in USofA Taiyo Yuden Media can purchased from Rima.Com (http://rima.com) at a reasonable price.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=EvilBliss;2165036]I can’t find it, where in Device Manager?

EDIT: Is it this? http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3020/3064829370_51d0c5cd7c_o.jpg[/QUOTE]

Yep. And if your Asus is Device 1 on the Secondary IDE channel, then it is indeed running in UDMA Mode 4.

Which just leaves the media, I’m afraid.

@ EvilBliss,

If appears that your ASUS DRW-2014L1 Drive is connected to the Secondary IDE Channel in the Slave position. Ideally your ASUS DRW-2014L1 Drive should be in the Master position and not in the Slave position.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=bjkg;2165049]@ EvilBliss,

If appears that your ASUS DRW-2014L1 Drive is connected to the Secondary IDE Channel in the Slave position. Ideally your ASUS DRW-2014L1 Drive should be in the Master position and not in the Slave position.

Regards,
bjkg[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, it wasn’t me that built the computer, how can I safely put it from slave to Master? Can I do, or it would be better someone else to do it?

Ok, just wanted to say that I finally bought a pack of 50 Verbatim DVD’s, and they work perfectly now! Thank you all for the hints and the support.

Guess I have to say: Verbatim rules! :wink: