ASUS DRW-1612BL issue

Hello,
Thanks for the great info on this site.

I recently purchased an ASUS DRW-1612BL and am having a minor problem with it, or possibly with me. :wink:

I’ve been using CloneDVD and AnyDVD to successfully burn many DVD+R DL Verbatim discs with my BenQ DW1650 burner. I wanted a second burner for unattended burns. I would have bought another 1650 if I could find one, it’s very good. I chose the 1612 because it was fairly capable and very quiet.

My problem is that whenever I try to burn a DL, CloneDVD gives me the message; “Writing to video media was not successful: source data too large”. Under details it says; “WriteDVD 14 W2”.
I’ve searched on this problem but haven’t found a clear solution.
This problem only occurs when writing to the Asus. If I read from the Asus and write to the BenQ, I have no problems, so I know it’s not the media.
The Asus can burn faster though, that’s why I want to use it for writing.

Also, with Nero Bitsetting and ImgBurn I am unable to set the Booktype on this drive.
The 1612 is also a DVD-RAM drive and that’s how XP recognizes it, and maybe that is the cause of my problem?
Although ImgBurn recognizes my drives as “Found 1 DVD±RW and 1 DVD±RW/RAM!”.

DMA is enabled, I don’t think cables are the problem since I’ve switched the cables to the opposite drive and it was the same.

Thanks for any helpful info. :slight_smile:

Then it is either not supported or not available (because of AUTO-bitsetting).
I think its the latter one.

heres all the info i could find on this drive here is a firmware http://www.acard.com/english/fc0101.jsp?prodno=AEC-7763U#

Hey, thanks for the info, but it looks like that firmware is for a copy controller, which is kind of cool though.

An update though; I was able to get the drive to work at 4x on Nero once when I used the copy-on-the-fly. Otherwise, it’s only 2.4x. Nero did give me a coaster at 4x without copy on the fly enabled. :frowning: I’m not sure if I’m entirely comfortable with copy on the fly yet, so for now, I’ll probably just read with the ASUS and write with the BenQ.

Please don’t doublepost, especially when it is not true!

This firmware is for the DUPLICATOR only, not the drive!!

Please take a look at :

http://www.cdfreaks.com/reviews/Asus-DRW-1612BL-DVD-Burner-Review/Page-3-Disc-Writing-Technology.html

Here You can read how to set the “Book Type” With Nero CD-DVD Speed.