Asus DRW-1608P3S burning problems/How long should it take

Hi Guys

i cant seem to get this to work i’ve attached my error log for the more experienced! but im just confused! thanks for your help, much appreciated!!

peter

ASUS DRW-1608P3S 1.19 JRAID Port 4 ID 0 DMA: Off

DMA needs to be enabled for this drive…see here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1532580&postcount=7

Firmware is also a little old…latest version is 1.24 and can be found here:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=2292

Last address to be written: 179039 ( 39:47.14, 349MB)

Is this really all you are trying to write? You do realize that a CD will hold this amount of data.

Updating firmware and enabling DMA will probably get you back in the saddle.

nah i was just doing it to get the error report. i will give this ago thanks for your time

Hi i’ve just done what u suggested and still cant burn ive had a look at the error report and dma is still off. in the device manager in the primary ide channel

advance settings this is what it reads…

device 0

device type: auto detection (which i cant changed its fixed)
Transfer mode: DMA if available (which its on, other option is pio only)
current transfer mode: Ultra DMa mode 5.

whats else is there for me to do?
thanks

That would be your hard drive. Check the secondary IDE channel setting.

yea secondary just has DMA if available. all my IDE primary and secondary channel is on auto detection and DMA if available. in my error reports i still get DMA off. very confused is threre another way of turning it on? or is that really the problem? sigh

Are you using NVIDIA PATA IDE drivers?

umm? what is that? i guess not. i tested it i can burn CDs. havent tested any other media type apart from an imation DVD+RW 4.7gb that still doesnt work i will get another one to test it out hopefully its just disk. fingers crossed
thanks for everyones help. any other suggestions welcomed!!!

If your motherboard’s chipset is made by NVIDIA (nForce) and you are using their IDE drivers then you should try uninstalling them. I had similar problems with you (I own the same drive) and those drivers were the cause.

Asus tries to fool us again…
The drive is an Pioneer burner rebadged by Asus and work max and perfectly at UDMA 4 mode.

Disable Multisession.

How exactly is this burner connected??

Recorder: <ASUS DRW-1608P3S> Version: 1.24 - HA 4 TA 0 - 6.6.0.14
Adapter driver: <JRAID> HA 4
Drive buffer : 2000kB
Bus Type : via Inquiry data (1) -> ATAPI, detected: ?
Connected to MMC as unknown drive with class-nr : 1
Drive is autodetected - recorder class: Std. MMC recorder
CD-ROM: <ASUS DRW-1608P3S >Version: 1.24 - HA 4 TA 0 - 6.6.0.14
[B] Adapter driver: <JRAID> HA 4[/B]

Hey guys thanks for helping what hell would i do with out this site! ( take into apc service store :disagree: ) but im all up for DIY all about learning!

heres more about my system i put together my self 1st timer! this is my only glitch sofar that i know of.

[I]intel E6600 Cpu
Gigabyte GA- 965PDS3 motherboard (intel chipset)
Quadro fx 540
corsair twin 2x 2048-5400C4 of ram.[/I]

Hows is it connected?
IDE Cable

is disabling mutilsession in nero? tryed that. still doesnt work.

ok I’ve tryed to erase the dics (brandnew imation Dvd + rw disc nothing written on) Using nero it goes for 3 secs and it spits the dics out i get and “error msg” & “illegal dics”

maybe ive done everything right and is it just bad disc? i will go get an identical disc and see if it works??

anyother suggestions welcomed!

Just got and identical disc and still doesnt work. its not the disk? was hoping it was somthing simple like that. is there anything i missed? very confused!! help!

I see you are using a JRAID adapter for this drive. It should be IDE (using an atapi interface). Examine your BIOS settings and disable any RAID for this IDE channel. Consult your motherboard’s manual for this.

Make sure the drive is attached to the end connector of the IDE cable and that its jumpers are set to “Master”, otherwise you will not have UDMA.

hey guys thanks for all your help!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :clap: :clap:
i changed the setting in BIOS as Abez suggested. i had previously just used the default settings. it was a bit of trial and error until i got it to the right setting.

thanks for all your help!!

GREAT SITE!!!
peter

hey guys can any one tell me roughly how long it should take to burn a dvd
(full capactiy 4.3g)? taking me 90mins minimum! is that right? says the burn process is going at 12x its all automatic cant be right can it? if its is , is there anything faster around?

core 2 duo 2.4
2 gig dual ram
Asus 1680P3S

Is Dma enabled?? Do you have packet writing software like nero incd?? What programs are you using and what media?? Use dvd identifier to see media code.

hi i am using nero oem 6.6 that came with drive

yes Dma is enable. its reads… dma if available in transfer mode.

i just had a check one of my primary IDE Channel reads… Dma if available (transfer mode) but in current transfer mode says PIO only and its locked i cant change it. is there a way to change that?

i did have problems earlier trying to burn dvd media
heres my other thread

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=191901&highlight=ASUS+DRW-1608P3S

so it shouldnt take this long? thank god 4 that!

media is cmc 8x dvd-r

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:CMC MAG. AE1]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [CMC Magnetics Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [CMC MAG. AE1]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4.71 GB (4.38 GiB)]

[ DVD Identifier V4.3.0 - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

what can i do to improve this situation?

thanks

Cmc media may be the problem! Did you uninstall nero incd??? What exactly are you trying to burn??

Read this thread about enabling DMA.