Asus Cusc MB boot stops -

Hi. Upgrading / rebuilding an Asus Terminator PIII.

Goal: PIII 1GHz Cpu (ATA 133) / 1 GB ram PC133 SDRAM dimms / 120 Maxtor HDD ATA133. Havn’t ordered parts yet. Currently 256mb ram. One 128 mb stick of ram is dying fast (MSFT ram test).

After removing heatsink/fan off current Celeron 800mHz CPU, bootup stops at post: after award bios / complete PNP. Can’t enter setup/bios.

How do I know if I damaged the MB? Do I need the new ram to see of the MB is good?

Thanks. Brewer

Hi,

what chipset is this board equipped with? If there is an Intel chipset, then only 512 MB (2x512) RAM are supported.

After removing heatsink/fan off current Celeron 800mHz CPU, bootup stops at post: after award bios / complete PNP. Can’t enter setup/bios.
Did you reinstall the CPU cooler before you booted up? If so, then you have probably fried your CPU.
Please make sure, everything is installed properly, also remove all components that are not necessary for an initial bootup. Also reset the CMOS memory according to the instructions given in the manual.

Michael

chipset = SIS630E
Did you reinstall the CPU cooler before you booted up? No.

The PIII can take 1GB mem PC 133 (manual / and tested by Corsair)
(2x512)= 1 GB

How do you reset CMOS memory? Remove / replace the battery?

Hi,

:Z Sorry. I wouldn’t spend any money on upgrading a system based on that chipset.

Did you reinstall the CPU cooler before you booted up? No.
Then you might have killed something. Either the CPU or the mainboard is dead now.

How do you reset CMOS memory? Remove / replace the battery?
Unplug the PSU connector on the mainboard at first. To reset the CMOS memory, you’ll have either to set a jumper, short some pins or fiddle with the battery. Any mainboard manufacturer has its own methods. This is why I recommended to have a look into the manual of your mainboard.

Michael

Thanks for telling me that CPU is super heat sensitive. Opened the case 180 degrees. Laid the heatsink/fan on top of the celeron chip (w/o attaching the heatsink clip to the CPU). Unattached all HDD / CD drives / FDD. Kept the one good 128mb stick of ram. Don’t want to reattach the heatsink clip as it’s really hard to remove and I plan to change the CPU.

Boot works!!! Stops now only as there were no attached drives. CPU / MB all test ok!!!

Attached HDD / CD drive / floppy / inserted Killdisc floppy. Booted into the DOS / Killdisc fine. At this point turned power off. I’m so lucky I read what you said about CPU’s w/o fans getting fried.

Reason I’m rebuilding - this is for a musician friend who wants it done. Already has XP Pro running on it, but it runs slow as ram = 256 and one of the sticks is dead.

Upgrade:
Intel CPU / 1 GHz / ATA 133 = 80.00
RAM 1 GB / PC 133 SDRAM DIMM = 140.00 (Corsair tested (CL3) w/Terminator PIII)
Maxtor ATA HDD 120 GB / DMA 6 / < 9ms seek time / 8 MB cache = 100.00
DVD Burmer / Sony DRX 835U = 80.00

Total = 400.00

BTW the president of ASUS had a hand in this design. http://www.digit-life.com/articles/asusterminator/index.html

It’s primitive but very enduring. With upgrades, it’s good for email / watching DVDs / surfing the net - even audio production (makes no noise) !!

Hi,

All CPUs are like that. Gladly, nothing died.

Reason I’m rebuilding - this is for a musician friend who wants it done. Already has XP Pro running on it, but it runs slow as ram = 256 and one of the sticks is dead.
Even then, a new mainboard/CPU/RAM combo would be the better solution :wink:

Upgrade:
Intel CPU / 1 GHz / ATA 133 = 80.00
RAM 1 GB / PC 133 SDRAM DIMM = 140.00 (Corsair tested (CL3) w/Terminator PIII)
That is 220 of your currency units (where are you located at?)
Assuming you are located in the USA, here some prices from newegg.com:
CPU: AMD Sempron 64 3200+ Retail (incl. heatsink and fan) 35,99 USD
Mainboard: ASUS M2N-MX SE 54,99 USD
RAM: Corsair Value Select 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 22,99 USD each
Total: 136,96 USD
(okay, a more recent PSU wouldn’t be a bad idea, but still cheaper than the upgrade)

Michael

Hi. Located USA. Does the ASUS M2M fit the case? How can I find what MB fit a barebones Terminator case?

On the net ASUS boards are failing fast. This CUSC is still standing!!! 512 MB ram? Is that max for the board? 1 GB has punch. HDD / DVD burner can travel.

140.00 + 30.00 (for 2nd 512 mb ram / comparison) = 180.00 vs 220.00 = 40.00 difference. Worth a thought. How reliable are ASUS MBs / AMD CPUs?

BTW Asus T2 is reported having pblms (most recent barebones) - the PIII is a good / old / basic PC.

W/upgrade it’s alive again.

Hi,

If the case is according to ATX specifications, then any ATX or micro-ATX mainboard will fit.

[B]EDIT: [/B]
Just looked at the article you mentioned. Seems, as if replacing the mainboard by something else is near to impossible :frowning:

On the net ASUS boards are failing fast.
I haven’t investigated, also I chose the Asus, because you (or your friend) aleady own one. No problem chosing something else.
This CUSC is still standing!!!
The older mainboards were of good quality:)[/quote] 512 MB ram? Is that max for the board? 1 GB has punch.[/quote]The Asus board I mentioned, supports up to 4GB. Also, I wouldn’t get a recent system with less than 1GB RAM :iagree:.

140.00 + 30.00 (for 2nd 512 mb ram / comparison) = 180.00 vs 220.00 = 40.00 difference.
Nitpicking: I already calculated 2x512 MB :slight_smile: You pay 45 USD for 1 GB DDR2 RAM nowadays.

Worth a thought. How reliable are ASUS MBs / AMD CPUs?
I am running an older AMD64 CPU on a VIA based MSI board. Nothing to complain about. Can’t tell anything about the reliability of Asus boards, so feel free to select another brand (apart from ECS or PCChips) you like.

the PIII is a good / old / basic PC.
W/upgrade it’s alive again.
Admitted, but these older (still reliable) mainboards suffer from limited throughput. This might be a bottleneck with any data transfer jobs (like DVD burning).

But as no replacement mainboard will fit into the case, the discussion about a total renewal is merely theoretical :frowning: I really should have looked at that article earlier.

Another remark, as you intend to install a DVD writer. These drives need approx. 2A@12V and another 2A@5V. I am not sure if the PSU of that computer is strong enough to fit these additional demands.

Michael

Good remark mciahel. :iagree:
This unit only has a 120W (nominel) PSU and 12V rail is at 4A max… :Z

[B]Liquidfusion[/B], follow mciahel’s advice and tell your friend to save money for a new buil. Heck, for $400 you can get a new computer. :cool:

But if you still like to add a DVD burner to Terminator box, buy a cheap external USB2 unit. Your box then just needs a PCI/USB2 add on controller card.

BTW, link to Terminator BIOS, drivers, manual and more. :wink: