ASUS CRW-5224A burning problems

Hi everyone,

I tried posting this on one of the older post by another member, but no one reponded so i decided to post it here, since i’m a newbie and all. :stuck_out_tongue:

here’s the situation:

I wanted to know what’s wrong with my Asus 52x24x52x CD-RW. I’ve been trying to burn in a 650mb file to an Arita Gold blank CD using my writer and Nero, but everytime the burning process is almost completed this message appears:

I’ve tried slowing the speed down, but still no go. I’ve actually wasted 5 blank CDs straight, due to this problem.

BTW, if it helps my specs are:
Celeron 400Mhz
Asus Cusl2 mobo
192mb SDRAM
Shared VGA, sound & LAN
8.4 gb HDD
Windows 98

Im not really sure why that the message above in the above pic appears, but when i take a look under nero’s Info Tool, this shows up:

http://img234.imageshack.us/img234/9579/infotool5su.png

and under windows system properties this:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/...dowsinfo5uf.png

Anyway, I have them on separate IDE cables. Although the CD-RW is using a cable from a Dell small form factor Pii PC that i picked up somewhere. I’m looking at this IDE cable now and it seems its a little different from the usual, the cable is very very short.

LATER after talking to a few tech savvy friends of mine at work, i tried updating the ASPI files using forceASPI. I’ve also freed up harddrive space, it seems before i did this i had less than 100MB in HHD space!!! I’ve also tried even slower writing speeds

However, i still cant complete the bruning. I mean this time i can go all the way to 100% with Nero but then the message: “Burn process failed” appears as well as this:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8325/al...sucessul5xm.jpg

BTW, i’m very ignorant on how to get the full log of nero. can anybody give me a hint? (a real stupid noob here)

THANKS in advancce!!! :bow: :bow:

Nero log can be found at C:\ProgramFiles\Ahead\Nero\NeroHistory.log or using Nero 7 C:\ProgramFiles\Nero\Nero 7\Core\NeroHistory.log.
How to read the Nero log file can be found here http://ww2.nero.com/nero6/en/Tutorials_Burning_ROM_5_Read_and_understand_Nero_log_file_prev.html and don’t forget to delete your private data and serial when posting the log!

UPDATE!!

Hi everyone,

I transfered the CD burner to a different unit and tested it with three types of media, one cheap and two expensive Imation types.

This time it completed the burning, HOWEVER the CD’s exhibit errors, they were not burned completely. For example when I tried to copy the newly burned CD’s contents to my harddrive they will not copy it saying “MS-DOS function error.”

Also, I noticed through those burnings that the buffer level on NERO when writing is eratic while burning. It jumps to 80+ % then suddenly drops down to 8% then back to 30+ % then back again to 80+. this happens until NERO says burn is successful. QUESTION: Is this a coaster problem? if so does this mean my burner is good as dead?

couple of basic questions, hardware wize, it may well be thet you burner is a dud, but some things to keep in mind as i also have a 98se machine.

we know the following past your pc specs and operating system.

1 the drive kinda works on installed in other boxes…
2 you knackered with your aspi drivers
3 your still getting bad burns
4 in your box, it’s on a seperate ide chain / channel from your hdd

questions to tinker with

1 is your drive properly jumpered? CS (cable select if it’s on it’s own / master or slave sharing the chain with another optical drive…1 must be master…1 must be slave)

2 thats a new enough drive to need an 80 oin ide cable to work proper, are you using one or the older 40pin typer cable? (eide / not ide)

3 do you have the proper drivers installed for your motherboards ide controllers?

4 have you made sure dma is turned on for your drive? ( control panel / system / device manager / drive in question and hdd.)

Your machine is no rocket sled, but certainly not to slow to burn cd’s with it, I’d not try dvd’s but you should be able to copy cd’s and rip mp3’s with that.

I did see your using shared video, and it’s reporting 192 meg ram, guessing you have 256 meg and swapping some as video ram? Try bumping that down a bit too…16-32 instead of the 64 meg your giving it.

you freed up some file space on the hdd too good, how much? 98 and really most os I’ve ran into gets flakey with less than atleast 20% of the hdd free and available for swap space.

As for the bad burns on the other test units, not sure what to tell you that, not knowing the make up of them…can’t even guess…good luck…:slight_smile:

OH yeah, specs of the system i transfered it to:
amd k6-2-500 mhz (so sue me i’m THAT poor) :slight_smile:
sis mobo (jetway j530bf) has the sis 530 chipset and ata/66 ide controllers.
128mb RAM
Shared VGA, sound
10 gb HDD
windows xp

1 is your drive properly jumpered? CS (cable select if it’s on it’s own / master or slave sharing the chain with another optical drive…1 must be master…1 must be slave) Yes, its set as master, pairing it with a asus 52x cd-rom, which is set as slave.

2 thats a new enough drive to need an 80 oin ide cable to work proper, are you using one or the older 40pin typer cable? (eide / not ide) yes its new cables.

3 do you have the proper drivers installed for your motherboards ide controllers? default xp drivers, no xp ide drivers for sometihing this old. :frowning:

4 have you made sure dma is turned on for your drive? ( control panel / system / device manager / drive in question and hdd.) yes for hdd no for cd burner

BTW, thanks for the reply. :slight_smile: