ASUS CRW-5224: a few questions

1. Is the 5224 any better than the 4816? I have the opportunity to exchange my 4816 for a 5224 paying only a few bucks; should I do this or better spend the few bucks on beer?

2. Which is the best firmware for the 5224 (and where can I find it, if it’s 1.16)?

Thanks in advance!

1. my personal experiance is that the 52 speed is better as the 48 speed model, better writing quality and media compatibility. but at the time that i owned the 48 speed model the only available firmware was 1.0 maybe with the newer firmware the drives performs better and can be compared with the 52 speed model (except fot the speed offcourse).

2. the original 1.0 firmware seems to work nicely for the most people. i didnt notice any difference with the 1.1 (or the unofficial 1.16) firmware. with the newest 1.2 firmware it seems that it dont let me burn at 52 speed anymore with the same media that worked using the 1.0 firmware. so if you dont have any problems with the original firmware stick with it.
    you can find the firmware downloads on my homepage

Thanks Maelstrom!

I received today the 5224, it’s manufactured February 2003 and it has the last firmware (1.20). I hope they didn’t sell me a used one (it looks absolutely new, but who knows…). Haven’t done any tests yet, but I’ll update this thread in the next days.

ok

please let us know what you think about the 52 speed drive
always like to hear other opinions.

My new drive just burned its first CD :)… TDK Metallic (Ritek) 700MB 48x rated, disks that the 4816 liked very much. Burned one of those @52X, and the first CDSpeed scan showed a single yellow line about a minute from the end (57 errors). Scanned again, this time in my ASUS CD-S500, zero errors. Back to the CRW5224, another single yellow line, 36 errors exactly at the end. Like the 4816, the 5224 seems somewhat of a crappy reader therefore I can’t get a clear picture about its writing quality :(. I’d really like to scan my discs on a Lite-On, to see the C1 error count, but nobody here has Lite-Ons, Romanians seem to have an addiction to Teac drives…

Exact ce ziceam si eu. Toti prostii sunt obsedati de teac cand pot da banii pe ceva la fel de bun dar la pretz mai mic (sony, lite-on, etc.) This means : Exactly as i was saying. Many stupid people are obsesed by teac when they can buy something as good as teac but at a lower price (sony, lite-on). Big difference between romanian and english, isn’t it?

Originally posted by Cotocat
Exact ce ziceam si eu. Toti prostii sunt obsedati de teac cand pot da banii pe ceva la fel de bun dar la pretz mai mic (sony, lite-on, etc.) This means : Exactly as i was saying. Many stupid people are obsesed by teac when they can buy something as good as teac but at a lower price (sony, lite-on). Big difference between romanian and english, isn’t it?

im totally lost here, what has this to do with the topic?
maybe post a reply in the wrong thread?