ASUS CRW-4816A: bad burner or bad reader?

First, let me describe a bit the optical drives I use.
I have an ASUS CDS-500 as a reader, the drive is 3 1/2 years old and has been used extensively but has proven to be extremely reliable and good at reading any disc except really destroyed ones. I was very satisfied with this reader, so two months ago I bought another ASUS drive, the CRW-4816A despite some negative reviews on the net.

The first burns I did with my new writer (at low speeds, 16X 24X and 32X) were succesful as I was using good quality media (TDK d-view mainly). I tested almost all of the burned discs first in the burner and then in the CDS-500 to see if there are any differences, and none of them showed any errors on CDSpeed’s Disk Quality Check.

But as I started using various cheaper media (Ritek, Prodisc, MMM&M, Gigastorage, Fornet Int’l and others, burned at 32X at most) not all the burns are 100% succesful. And by that I don’t mean coasters, but some of the discs show some C2 errors, not many (a few thousands at most), usually towards the outer tracks, and only when tested at 48X reading speed with the CRW4816.

There are no errors when I test the same discs in my CDS-500, even at maximum speed (50X), and there are no errors if I test the discs in the CRW4816 at 40X reading speed. In addidion, the CRW4816 is somewhat inconsistent about the errors it reports, as the results are very different each time I run the test. A particular disc may show 5000 errors at one test only to have 0 errors if I test again or vice versa…

A recent example: yesterday I burned a TDK Metalic (Ritek) at 32X, tested it immediately after and had thousands of errors, tried it in the CDS-500 with zero errors, a few minutes later in the CRW4816 and this time zero errors! Today I burned a similar disc at 40X and initial testing showed zero errors, no need to retest…
I’m still trying to determine if drive temperature has something to do with this, because the CRW4816 runs pretty warm.

I believe that the conclusion of the reviews stating that ASUS CRW-4816A has poor writing quality is based only on read tests conducted on the same drive. In this case, could this drive be only a mediocre (or really bad) reader and not a bad burner, or is it a combination of both? Did someone conducted a C1/C2 scans on discs written by the CRW4816 using another drive (Lite-On?) for reading?
Sorry for the long post. Cheers.

Clearly, I’m out of luck with this thread…
Tell me, is it okay if I test the quality of the burn at a lower speed? I mean, perhaps the CRW4816 is a crap reader and the results are influenced by this…

Nero CDSpeed is not 100% accurate to begin with, as you noticed with your inconsistent results. Also most drives will slow down on their own to read data with errors in it. I would say you really have nothing to worry about, so long as your discs seem to be working.

Originally posted by HazMat
There are no errors when I test the same discs in my CDS-500, even at maximum speed (50X), and there are no errors if I test the discs in the CRW4816 at 40X reading speed. In addidion, the CRW4816 is somewhat inconsistent about the errors it reports, as the results are very different each time I run the test. A particular disc may show 5000 errors at one test only to have 0 errors if I test again or vice versa…

The Media FAQ in the Media Forum explains why you get inconsistent results.
This is perfectly normal. It just means that the CRW4816 has a bit of trouble reading these discs.
5000 errors is not that much but if you want to avoid these errors then I suggest you write the cheap discs at a lower speed or only use high quality media :slight_smile:

Thank you for your replies, BadReligionPR and Erik!
I found out that at least in one review they sent the CDs written by the CRW4816 to be analysed by DigitalDrives (where I suppose they were tested in a more “professional” way) and it turned out the writing quality was crappy (at least with firmware 1.00)
Erik, if I want to scan my discs for C1 errors what is your advice: buy a Lite-On drive or wait till your CDSpeed will include support for Asus drives? :slight_smile: