ASUS CRW-4012A does SD2.51.021

vbimport

[EDIT]I originally stated that this writer couldn't do PSX - I was mistaken. When the drive was first connected and run, the "Don't Repair..." box was greyed out - NOT ANY MORE!!! It does do LibCrypt - tested on Die Hard PS1.[/EDIT]

I have just tested the ASUS CRW-4012A (24x Imation Neon CD-R):

SD2.51.021 (MOHAA, Renegade & Serious Sam:SE). Reads in about 2':30" and writes in under 3'. AWS is not required. Backup works everywhere...

LaserLock1 (Desperados). Reads in under 3' and writes in just over 3'.

SecuROM new (Diablo 2). Reads in under 3' and writes in under 3'

ProtectCD (Cossacks). Reads in 2':39" writes in 2':45"

LibCrypt - (Die Hard PS1) Reads in 2':06" writes in under 3' (2':57")

...but at only AUD$221 compared to over $300 for a 40125S...guess what I'd recommend! (Halve the dollars for a US equivalent). I can't test protected audio just yet.

Oz buyers can go here for a price - Patrick will ship anywhere in Australia for $10 (3Kg overnight).

hello

is this new drive able to backup and read all audio protections as well as software protections???

are you able to disable the media check to burn at max speeds?

i haven’t seen much on this drive as yet

its about time we seen some realistic 40X prices thx for the link

thx 4 ur time :wink:

Originally posted by sherman1
is this new drive able to backup and read all audio protections as well as software protections???
Dunno, don’t have any protected audio discs & it won’t do LibCrypt (PSX)
are you able to disable the media check to burn at max speeds?
What do you mean?

what i was trying to ask is if you have media that is say 16X rated, are you able to burn to this media at 40X. can you disable any “SMART” burn like feature in this drive?

thx for the reply

The burn speeds above were achieved on Imation Neon 24x. The LaserLock was done on TDK 32x which is the same as their 40x media (LOL). All my burns are done at “max” and I rely on the OPC & on-board media catalogue to get the most out of the media. I never use nickel & dime stuff and have found a lot of quality 16x stuff will burn up around 24x (CAV permitting) anyway.

The ASUS has FlextraLink as the anti-coaster technology and I don’t see why you would disable it? - I hope that answers your question?

He’s refering to Lite-On’s SMART-Media technology. On the 40125S you can disable Smart-media, usefull if you got some TDK’s which will only write at the speed they are certified for.

:rolleyes: hi guys

i was just wondering wich writer to get i live in aus and i keep seeing get the lite-on, but now that i know the asus can do sdv2.51.xx and the price is cheaper than the lite-on would the asus be a better buy than the litey or is this a stupid question.

thanks for help:confused:

so it does SD2 2.51.xxx … are’t there a SD2 2.60.xxx out ? Have you tryed out if it can copy this ? and can the Asus do CDS 100 / 200 and Key2Audio ? I know that alot of CDRW’s have problems with this … I know LiteOn’s can’t do them if you don’t have another read sorce that the CDRW … it can burn the .img-file correctly, but not read it to the HD correctly. ( that is LiteOn CDRW’s that I know of ) so if The Asus can read and burn all this CDS 100 / 200, and Key2Audio corretly it will get a Big STAR :smiley: in my notes. And is so cheap … it beats out the LiteOn’s and the Plextor … DAMN!!! When will Plextor make a CDRW that can do all Game / Audio / Software Protections there is … LiteOn, Asus ( yeah even Asus the MB brand ) and other Brands does most of the Protections … What happend to the Quality that you are sopose to get from Plextor … I have always thought tha Money buy quality and now the best CDRW is CHEAP … HUH

Originally posted by KickF
so it does SD2 2.51.xxx … are’t there a SD2 2.60.xxx out ? Have you tryed out if it can copy this ?
Trust me: if FutureProof tested this he would have posted the results… :wink:

and can the Asus do CDS 100 / 200 and Key2Audio ?

Originally posted by FutureProof
Dunno, don’t have any protected audio discs

hi again:)

so would you say the asus crw-4012a would be a better buy than the lite-on ltr-24102b/3s or the lite-on 40125s.

thanks

Originally posted by KickF
so it does SD2 2.51.xxx … are’t there a SD2 2.60.xxx out ?
From what I can gather (from the Daemon’s Forum, of course!) is that 2.60 is a ‘blacklister’ in that it strengthens some checks, defeated by the ASUS, Liteons & other 2.51.021 killers btw, and searches for specific files related to cracked exe etc, Daemon’s emulator and so on…don’t know much more than that!

Here in Norway it’s different: Lite-On 40X 960NOK ( around $96 USD). And Asus 40X is 1250NOK (around $125 USD).

But you are going to love the readspeeds of the Asus if you use it as a reader for reading protected discs.

ASUS is the most expensive there is.
A good thumbrule is, whatever other companies do, ASUS can make it even more expensive! :wink:

But they make good stuff…

Coincidentally, I checked prices again yesterday. Cheapest 40x Litey in Oz is USD$115 with the ASUS at USD$110 from the Perth Dealer…go figure. However, based on the read times, would I pay another USD$5 to get an ASUS…you betcha!

Originally posted by Airhead
ASUS is the most expensive there is.
A good thumbrule is, whatever other companies do, ASUS can make it even more expensive

So Plextor is in a class of it’s own? TDK? Yamaha? These brands are for the rich in Oz

Edit:

I originally stated that this writer couldn’t do PSX - I was mistaken. When the drive was first connected and run, the “Don’t Repair…” box was greyed out - NOT ANY MORE!!! It does do LibCrypt - tested on Die Hard PS1.

LibCrypt - (Die Hard PS1) Reads in 2’:06" writes in under 3’ (2’:57")

quote:

Originally posted by sherman1

Dunno, don’t have any protected audio discs & it won’t do LibCrypt (PSX)

Does it or does it not do libcript?

Coincidentally, I checked prices again yesterday. Cheapest 40x Litey in Oz is USD$115 with the ASUS at USD$110 from the Perth Dealer…go figure. However, based on the read times, would I pay another USD$5 to get an ASUS…you betcha!

What’s the name or web address for the perth dealer plz.

Thanks.

Originally posted by FutureProof
Oz buyers can go here for a price - Patryc will ship anywhere in Australia for $10 (3Kg overnight).
Perth; and yes, it does do LibCrypt - tested!

Just posting to say thats i order 2 ASUS 40x today from Patrick at Understanding Computers(http://insight.iinet.net.au/cats/index.html) and be up and running by the end of the week.

They better kick ass,hade to drive 40 mins to order them then have to go back to pick them up.