ASUS BW-12B1ST (Rebadged LG BH14NS40 version, not LiteOn iHBS112 version)

vbimport

I have an ASUS BW-12B1ST drive which is a rebadged LG BH14NS40,
it has Firmware 1.00 a (with 4mb of Cache)
I also have an LG BH14NS40. The ASUS BW-12B1ST handles DVD & BD-R media basically the same as the LG BH14NS40. Both love Verbatim Media and burn BD-R 6x at 12x. There is one important difference: The Asus BW-12B1ST has bitsetting to DVD-ROM for DVD+R and DVD+R DL :bow:, while the LG BH14NS40 doesn’t. If I run the LG BH14NS40 Firmware update, it sees the Asus BW-12B1ST as an LG drive and I could update it (I didn’t).
Warning: If you update the Asus BW-12B1ST to a LG BH14NS40, it will become a LG BH14NS40 and you will lose bitsetting. I know this, as my friend did and he no longer has bitsetting. Needless to say, he’s not very happy about this and he can’t find any way to get his drive back to an ASUS BW-12B1ST

[QUOTE=Cyber7;2716843]I have an ASUS BW-12B1ST drive which is a rebadged LG BH14NS40,
it has Firmware 1.00 a (with 4mb of Cache)
I also have an LG BH14NS40. The ASUS BW-12B1ST handles DVD & BD-R media basically the same as the LG BH14NS40. Both love Verbatim Media and burn BD-R 6x at 12x. There is one important difference: The Asus BW-12B1ST has bitsetting to DVD-ROM for DVD+R and DVD+R DL :bow:, while the LG BH14NS40 doesn’t. If I run the LG BH14NS40 Firmware update, it sees the Asus BW-12B1ST as an LG drive and I could update it (I didn’t).
Warning: If you update the Asus BW-12B1ST to a LG BH14NS40, it will become a LG BH14NS40 and you will lose bitsetting. I know this, as my friend did and he no longer has bitsetting. Needless to say, he’s not very happy about this and he can’t find any way to get his drive back to an ASUS BW-12B1ST[/QUOTE]

How did you get the firmware update to recognize the drive? When I try to run the LG firmware update, it rejects it, recognizing the drive as the Asus, not LG. I don’t care about the bitsetting, but I need the LG compatibility. Thanks!

The ASUS BW-12B1ST comes either as a rebadged LiteON or a rebadged LG. It appears you have a rebadged LiteON iBHS112 which can be flashed as a LiteON.
Go to
http://club.myce.com/f87/how-upgrade-your-asus-bw-12b1st-liteon-ihbs112-2-a-331630/ which goes into detail on it

[QUOTE=Cyber7;2719034]The ASUS BW-12B1ST comes either as a rebadged LiteON or a rebadged LG. It appears you have a rebadged LiteON iBHS112 which can be flashed as a LiteON.
Go to
http://club.myce.com/f87/how-upgrade-your-asus-bw-12b1st-liteon-ihbs112-2-a-331630/ which goes into detail on it[/QUOTE]

Right, yeah sorry, I should have been more clear. I have the “a” version, which is the LG clone. I havent found anywhere how to make the update. However, there seems to be various people who mention that they have done it… Usually with a subsequent bitsetting disappointment/complaint. Hopefully someone out there can shed some light on how to actually make the firmware update happen.

When I open BH14NS40_N1.00-A4.exe, in the Target Drive it shows my
H: ASUS BW-12B1ST a 1.00 which means it’s flash able. If it’s not flash able, it wont show it. Is that what your getting??

[QUOTE=Cyber7;2719122]When I open BH14NS40_N1.00-A4.exe, in the Target Drive it shows my
H: ASUS BW-12B1ST a 1.00 which means it’s flash able. If it’s not flash able, it wont show it. Is that what your getting??[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by open it “in the target drive”? Do I need to move the exe file to a disc in that drive? I had just unzipped it into my downloads folder on C drive.

I have 1.00, but it looks like there are newer versions available now as well.

[B]I’ve attached an image of what it looks like when you double click on the exe file. It search’s all of your drives and will open up. If you don’t see your drive, click on the Target Drive down arrow. At the bottom click on the arrow next to the X. It will ask you if you want to flash that drive.
Remember, once you’ve changed to an LG, you can’t go back to ASUS[/B]

[B]Also the only media that you can burn at 14x is SONY BD-R 6x SONYNN3. You can burn Verbatim 6x at 12x. LG loves Verbatim and Sony BD-R MEDIA. Imageburn is the ‘best’ program to burn anything. Even though the media shows 6x, you can burn it at 12x or 14x. Even though you can burn it at those speeds, it’s recommended to burn at it’s rated speed for longevity reasons. I’ve got media that I burned at 12x over year ago and it still tests good. But don’t use me as an example.[/B]

Could you check if BH16NS40 firmware update utility shows this ASUS rebadge as flashable drive?

[B]you can’t go back to ASUS[/B]

Is there really no way to dump the firmware from these drives? :frowning:

[QUOTE=Cyber7;2719265][B]I’ve attached an image of what it looks like when you double click on the exe file. It search’s all of your drives and will open up. If you don’t see your drive, click on the Target Drive down arrow. At the bottom click on the arrow next to the X. It will ask you if you want to flash that drive.
Remember, once you’ve changed to an LG, you can’t go back to ASUS[/B][/QUOTE]

It looks like the BH14NS40_N1.00-A4.exe flasher is unlocked allowing to crossflash these drives.

The BH14NS48_N1.00-A4.exe also appears to be unlocked.

I’m not sure about the BH16NS40_N1.00-A2.exe, but its worth a try. I can’t tell if its locked or not because my drive is a BH16NS40…

Both existing BH16NS48 firmwares are locked.

All the newer firmware versions for the drives above seem to be locked giving an error message if the correct drive is not found…

[QUOTE=blackened2687;2719312]
Is there really no way to dump the firmware from these drives? :([/QUOTE]

Dumping the firmware is not the main problem. Flashing the firmware back is the bigger problem… unlike for Panasonic based LG drives, there are no standalone LG flashers for Mediatek based drives, and also there are no third party utilities known to work with these drives either… Dosflash might be an option, either for dumping, or for flashing or for both, but nobody has confirmed any of this so far.

Dumping the firmware can be done quite easily using the Devilsclaw’s Renesas flasher with this special command line:

flasher -d [drive id] -l firmware.bin 6 00000000 00200000

Maybe someone with an ASUS BW-12B1ST a drive could do a dump for us…

I don’t know if Dosflash works or not for dumping, because it doesn’t like my mobo and doesn’t show me any connected drives at all… but since these drives are based on a Mediatek chipset Dosflash might well work at least for dumping purposes. Again it would be great if someone could give it a try … dumping is a risk free operation really …

I have no idea if Dosflash would work for flashing a firmware back or not … which is the most important part really … we might never know unless someone wants to risk trying it …

When I run the BH16NS40 Flasher it gives me this, which MEANS IT SEES NO FLASHABLE DRIVES

[QUOTE=cvs;2719376]Dumping the firmware is not the main problem. Flashing the firmware back is the bigger problem… unlike for Panasonic based LG drives, there are no standalone LG flashers for Mediatek based drives, and also there are no third party utilities known to work with these drives either… Dosflash might be an option, either for dumping, or for flashing or for both, but nobody has confirmed any of this so far.

Dumping the firmware can be done quite easily using the Devilsclaw’s Renesas flasher with this special command line:

flasher -d [drive id] -l firmware.bin 6 00000000 00200000

Maybe someone with an ASUS BW-12B1ST a drive could do a dump for us…

I don’t know if Dosflash works or not for dumping, because it doesn’t like my mobo and doesn’t show me any connected drives at all… but since these drives are based on a Mediatek chipset Dosflash might well work at least for dumping purposes. Again it would be great if someone could give it a try … dumping is a risk free operation really …

I have no idea if Dosflash would work for flashing a firmware back or not … which is the most important part really … we might never know unless someone wants to risk trying it …[/QUOTE]

I did it on my ASUS BW-12B1ST a drive and it gave me a 2mb file. However I’m not going to try Dosflash to flash the firmware back, as I don’t want to possibly brick my ASUS BW-12B1ST a drive

[QUOTE=cvs;2719373]It looks like the BH14NS40_N1.00-A4.exe flasher is unlocked allowing to crossflash these drives.

The BH14NS48_N1.00-A4.exe also appears to be unlocked.

I’m not sure about the BH16NS40_N1.00-A2.exe, but its worth a try. I can’t tell if its locked or not because my drive is a BH16NS40…

Both existing BH16NS48 firmwares are locked.

All the newer firmware versions for the drives above seem to be locked giving an error message if the correct drive is not found…[/QUOTE]

FYI - BH14NS48_N1.00-A4 sees both my BHNS40 and my ASUS BW-12B1ST drives as flashable

[QUOTE=Cyber7;2719388]I did it on my ASUS BW-12B1ST a drive and it gave me a 2mb file. However I’m not going to try Dosflash to flash the firmware back, as I don’t want to possibly brick my ASUS BW-12B1ST a drive[/QUOTE]

Please post a link to the firmware. Have you dumped it using Dosflash or DevilsClaw’s flasher?

I dumped it with DevilsClaw’s flasher. I don’t know how to post a link to it

Use one of many free filehostings, such as Zippyshare

[B]cvs[/B], wait… Indeed DevilClaw’s flasher works with MTK HLDS drives? I thought that read commands for MTK and Renesas drives are very different.

[B]Cyber7[/B], I’m extracting WH/BH14/16NS40 firmwares now and if you will post your dump we can see and say if your firmware is correct or not.

Also I have an idea for flashing ASUS firmware back - to patch flasher process right before the flashing with inserting dump we want to flash in place of original firmware in memory?

Here are extracted firmwares for xH1xNS4x BD-RE drives: [dead link snipped; search the thread to see if a live link is available for the various FW files]

Is there any downside to flashing it over to LG? Beyond the loss of bitsetting? I am pretty sure my other drive (Dell version of PLDS DVD ±RW DH-16A6S SCSI) covers that need.