ASUS BW-12B1ST rebadge of which model? how that would conditions BD-R burn quality

vbimport

I am taking the liberty of re posting this request as an independent question as I couldn’t get any help when posted it previously at the thread ASUS BW-12B1ST any thoughts on this burner?link: http://club.myce.com/f142/asus-bw-12b1st-any-thoughts-burner-323370/#post2623695

hi, just bought an Asus BW-12B1ST blu-ray burner from ewegg, OptiDriveControl says the firmware version is 1.03
I was wondering what is about the lite on re-badge thing and the firmware and how to determine what model this
Asus is a re-badge of and how it would conditions quality of blu-ray read or burn?:eek::confused::doh:

the complete Eeperom back up bin image could be downloaded from the link :http://www.2shared.com/file/0Tk6xQLL/103.html
drive flash back up ? 8 kbs:confused:
http://www.2shared.com/file/NVRwNYSP…2B1ST_103.html

thanks in advance for your help:bow:

Hi, I still have hope that someone would answer my question, meanwhile I have burned a test blu-ray disc using quantum CMCMAGBA5 discs: first the burner: Asus BW-12B1ST doesn’t recognize these discs as suitable media and was not able to run speed test (nero info tool), then when burned in test mode using Opti Drive Control the speed didn’t exceed X3 for some reason burner decided to lower it’s RPM to stay under the X3 limit !
Any advice regarding software configuration or the blank Blu-Ray media to use with this burner? Any influence of the firmware thing on that? thanks.:doh:

You’re not getting any answers in the Newbies, so I’m moving your thread into the Blu ray hardware and software forum.

These discs working best with Pioneer BD burners, AFAIK.
Your drive obviously has no real strategy for this MID/discs yet, of course its firmware dependent.

[QUOTE=DoMDoM40;2623872]
hi, just bought an Asus BW-12B1ST blu-ray burner from ewegg, OptiDriveControl says the firmware version is 1.03
I was wondering what is about the lite on re-badge thing and the firmware and how to determine what model this
[/QUOTE]

The BW-12B1ST are LiteOn iHBS112 clones.

Thanks KERRY for moving this post to the blu-ray section and thanks CVS and CHEF for he prompt and concise replies, I appreciate your help very much.
chef you mentioned that the ability of the drive to deal with mid range dics would depend on the firmware, I have uploaded complete eeperom image and ome other bin files and tried to capture firmware trying to figure out whether this drive is a lite-on iHBS112 clone (as cvs mentioned) or a sony or other brand clone (as mentioned in some other forums quoting:" ASUS BW-12B1ST is iHASx24 Y drives are actually Sony Optiarc AD-724xS clones based on a NEC chipset" at this link http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=47837 (maybe it’s an old thread treating of older asus BW-12B1ST batches)

Check in ODC’s options to be sure that “streaming” is enabled under write. This could be responsible for your writing problem. What is the date of manufacture on your drive?
Place a blank BD in the drive and have a look at the "disc info’ tab in ODC. What write speeds are available? Check the same in ImgBurn.

[QUOTE=DoMDoM40;2624085] I have uploaded complete eeperom image and ome other bin files and tried to capture firmware trying to figure out whether this drive is a lite-on iHBS112 clone (as cvs mentioned) or a sony or other brand clone (as mentioned in some other forums quoting:" ASUS BW-12B1ST is iHASx24 Y drives are actually Sony Optiarc AD-724xS clones based on a NEC chipset" at this link http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=47837 (maybe it’s an old thread treating of older asus BW-12B1ST batches)[/QUOTE]It is the LiteOn.

The thread you linked to not only talks about the Asus, but also talks about a different drive, a DVDRW drive, that is completely unrelated. [In other words, the discussion of the “iHASx24 Y” and “AD-724xS” DVDRW drives are completely unrelated to the discussion of the Asus/LiteOn Blu-ray drive, only used as a point of reference to discuss a certain feature.]

[QUOTE=Albert;2624095]It is the LiteOn.

The thread you linked to not only talks about the Asus, but also talks about a different drive, a DVDRW drive, that is completely unrelated. [In other words, the discussion of the “iHASx24 Y” and “AD-724xS” DVDRW drives are completely unrelated to the discussion of the Asus/LiteOn Blu-ray drive, only used as a point of reference to discuss a certain feature.][/QUOTE]
Thanks Albert for taking the time to check the link and correct me, I appreciate that, and sorry for the confusion.:doh:

The reason I ask about confirming the mfg. date on the label is that it should be able to be flashed with readily available tools to an iHBS112 if necessary if that date is prior to 7/11.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2624132]The reason I ask about confirming the mfg. date on the label is that it should be able to be flashed with readily available tools to an iHBS112 if necessary if that date is prior to 7/11.[/QUOTE]
Hi Deanwitty, thanks for the reply:flower:, drive exact model is BW-12B1ST-23 manufactured in 11/2011 in Taiwan-China,
[COLOR=Navy][B]What the flashing would improve ?[/B] [/COLOR]and what firmware would be compatible (I am reading some [B]PL01[/B] and [B]PL03 /B and [B]CL0K[/B]), and is there anyway to check compatibility with the [I]codeguys.Rpc.org[/I] flashtool I loaded a picture of at my first post? pardon my confusion.:confused:

[QUOTE=DoMDoM40;2624146]Hi Deanwitty, thanks for the reply:flower:, drive exact model is BW-12B1ST-23 manufactured in 11/2011 in Taiwan-China,
[COLOR=Navy][B]What the flashing would improve ?[/B] [/COLOR]and what firmware would be compatible (I am reading some [B]PL01[/B] and [B]PL03 /B and [B]CL0K[/B]), and is there anyway to check compatibility with the [I]codeguys.Rpc.org[/I] flashtool I loaded a picture of at my first post? pardon my confusion.:confused:[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately that drive is the newer version which can’t be crossflashed to a Lite-on with the current version of Flash utility. That may change with an update. You may have no need for it if we can discover the problem to be other than the firmware.

In the meantime, did you check for “streaming” and look to see what write speeds ODC and ImgBurn are reporting as possible for your BA5’s?

At the end of the day, ODC has proven to be a little weak as burning software, and a few of us have stopped using it for burning, using ImgBurn’s graphs to check for a smooth burn process and use ODC just for testing our burns.

Thanks again for the prompt reply :
- ODC did not have the streaming option enabled ! I’ll follow your advice and use Img Burn from now on fordisc burning.
- Also I had to uninstall Alcohol software filters (SPTD duplex thiing) that Img burn was reporting as possible issue, might was the cause for the burner (asus) not recognizing the CMC discs as suitable media. Now Img burn says there are NO FILTERS at all: is that good or bad ?(although I have Ne ro burning Rom installed)
- How about the drive being on a SATA3 controller set in AHCI mode? does it require IDE mode for full functionality?

Thanks

[QUOTE=DoMDoM40;2624148]Thanks again for the prompt reply :
- ODC did not have the streaming option enabled ! I’ll follow your advice and use Img Burn from now on fordisc burning.
- Also I had to uninstall Alcohol software filters (SPTD duplex thiing) that Img burn was reporting as possible issue, might was the cause for the burner (asus) not recognizing the CMC discs as suitable media. Now Img burn says there are NO FILTERS at all: is that good or bad ?(although I have Ne ro burning Rom installed)
- How about the drive being on a SATA3 controller set in AHCI mode? does it require IDE mode for full functionality?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

You can always give ODC another chance now that Alcohol and streaming are fixed. The biggest problems with ODC have been with higher speed burning. Or you may just choose to stick with the more reliable ImgBurn.

No filters is fine. You may find yourself using Nero less and less. ImgBurn is superior software.

Running many of my BD burners SATA3 AHCI. Hasn’t been a problem. Try a test w/ streaming enabled.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2624172]You can always give ODC another chance now that Alcohol and streaming are fixed. The biggest problems with ODC have been with higher speed burning. Or you may just choose to stick with the more reliable ImgBurn.

No filters is fine. You may find yourself using Nero less and less. ImgBurn is superior software.

Running many of my BD burners SATA3 AHCI. Hasn’t been a problem. Try a test w/ streaming enabled.[/QUOTE]
- Thanks so much for your prompt concise replies, :flower: I do really appreciate all your guys help .
I will give it another try shortly using Imgburn, and post the results.
- What would cross flashing to a liteon firmware offer as improvement? and by saying crossflashing is not possible with the newer drive I have do you mean flash utility hangs or the result is a bricked drive, sorry for getting too much into the detail.
-Any idea about good BD-R that could be burn at x12, 10 or 8? couldn’t find any using g-oogle search.
- I was surprised also to see that a disc burned at a max of X6 could be read @ x8 !![different drive though] : [B][I]I always thought that burn speed conditions and sets the maximum to which the read speed could reach…[/I][/B]

thanks again for all your valuable time and information :flower::flower::bow::clap:.

DeanWiTTy !! Now I am confused again about the manufacturing date, ImgBurn, ODC (post. #1)and Nero info tool all of them say " vendor specific or extra information: 04/18/2011 21:48 !" which corresponds to a date previous to 07/11 So is there any hope? for a cross flashing that I still uneducated about it’s benefits?

• Please don’t deprive me from addressing issues I mentioned in my previous posting << thanks so much .

[QUOTE=DoMDoM40;2624205]Now I am confused again about the manufacturing date, ImgBurn, ODC (post. #1)and Nero info tool all of them say " vendor specific or extra information: 04/18/2011 21:48 !" which corresponds to a date previous to 07/11
[/QUOTE]

That is the internal release date of the 1.03 firmware currently on your drive, not the manufacturing date of your drive. The manufacturing date is the one shown on the drive’s label.

[QUOTE=cvs;2624207]That is the internal release date of the 1.03 firmware currently on your drive, not the manufacturing date of your drive. The manufacturing date is the one shown on the drive’s label.[/QUOTE]

Thanks CVS for the info:sad:I had a little hope though !

Don’t worry just yet. You had other issues interfering with a smooth burning process. You truly may have no need for a different firmware. The streaming and Alcohol issues would be no different if your drive was a Lite-on.

There has been a slight change in the Lite-on 112 model and as a result the rebadged ASUS and Sony models since the last release of the Flash Utility and EEprom utility that simply makes them unable to crossflash the rebadges to Lite-on. They are very well-designed tools, I believe they will simply refuse to try in this case, not brick your drive. Keep an eye on the FU and EEprom threads in the Lite-on forum for future updates that may make it possible for you to test the Lite-on firmwares if you like.

Please let me know what burn speeds are listed as possible with the disc info functions?

Unfortunately I have not seen a media burn speed table for the ASUS version firmware for this Lite-on drive. I can tell you that the best 10x overspeed burning BD-R’s with the Lite-on firmware for me have been these 4x 25GB Smartblu. To get to 12x, you will likely need to invest in 6x Sony or 6x Panasonic media. And you will sacrifice some burn quality by pushing them to that speed.

I look forward to seeing your ImgBurn graph.

Thanks Deanwitty for the detailed reply an d for bearing with my confusion.
just finished burning another BD-R test disc using ImgBurn and Optical Quantum CMCMAGBA5 BD-R x4 x6 discs, Burner did the whole writing at X4 speed ! (maybe some CLV setting instead of CAV somewhere or disc incompatibility):confused: