ASUS BW-12B1ST no longer working

vbimport

My system is barely a year old and has been working fine but now, my optical drive doesn’t work. I thought it was bad and got another one (same one) and it’s doing the same thing.
So I uninstalled the device and reinstalled with no luck. How can I totally remove the driver and reinstall?
All the cables are fine and connected

Have you got a restore point made sometime before the trouble with the optical drive started? If so, try it.

Sorry for the bother. I just remembered how to fix this by deleting the upper/lower filters in the registry and it worked.
I feel like a newb!

Glad you got it working. Deleting filters is one of the only other things to try in this situation, and I would have gotten around to mentioning them eventually, as I ran out of things to suggest. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:

Lately I’ve just been doing backups of the operating system disc. If you have a second hard drive, or an external drive, it is remarkably easy these days, and Western Digital and Seagate offer free versions of Acronis that will work well enough for an emergency backup.

I was about to use my 2 week old image back up but wasn’t sure if the drive was working 2 weeks ago as I haven’t used it in a few weeks.
Wish I would have thought of this before I bought another drive but I have a friend that will buy the old one for a good price from me.

I’m having the exact same problem with my BW-12B1ST since updating to 7.5.1.0.
I see you figured out a way to “deleting the upper/lower filters” how would one go about doing this because I have zero idea.

Thanks for the help!

• J. Kras

[QUOTE=luuvmuffen;2735538]I’m having the exact same problem with my BW-12B1ST since updating to 7.5.1.0.
I see you figured out a way to “deleting the upper/lower filters” how would one go about doing this because I have zero idea.

Thanks for the help!

Good luck!

Unfortunately that didn’t do anything to resolve the problem. This only started happening once I upgraded my AnyDVD HD software to the latest version. I was probably 10 revisions behind and even after uninstalling and deleting the folder completely (Shift+Delete) and re-installing the latest version it’s still broken.

Any further suggestions?

Do you have any other software installed that has the ability to write to discs, or is related to DVDs/CDs/BDs in any way? Even iTunes qualifies.

And does the drive appear in Device Manager properly?

It was AnyDVD that caused my problems and removing the Upper/Lower filters fixed it for me.
Did you reboot after removing them?

Here is a list of other software that can/does rip/burn/read from the disc drive.

iTunes (Unfortunately)
Media Monkey
DBPowerAmp
Easy CD Audio Converter
Pavtube BDMagic
Video catalyst

yes the device shows up as normal under the device manager. Come to think of it now that you mention it I feel like a newbie cause everything was working fine till I installed Pavtube BDMagic.

I was utilizing Video catalyst to rip Blu-rays but it got waaaay to clumsy and clunky and a ton of people suggested Pavtube BDMagic.

Think on that and I’ll un-install Pavtube BDMagic and see if it has an effect on the environment.

thank so much!

• J. Kras

Huh. I fixed it but I think it might of been a conflict between Pavtube BDMagic and AnyDVD. I unstalled AnyDVD and did the remove filters, Rebooted. uninstalled Pavtube BDMagic, rebooted. Reinstalled AnyDVD and did NOT put in the reg key before rebooting. rebooted and it came up fine. applied the reg key, rebooted and it still shows up.

Soooooo…glitch in the setup or maybe a conflicting service. But it all seems to work great now. thank you for the prompt help on everything. :slight_smile: