ASUS BW-12B1ST any thoughts on this burner?

[QUOTE=cvs;2667054]You’ll need to use the unlocked flasher method. See this similar thread, which discusses the issues such crossflash involves in a bit more detail: http://club.myce.com/f87/asustek-bw-12b1lt-bd-writer-323344/

In your case you could flash your drive with the PL01 firmware dump which was posted in the forum a while back and then you could update to the latest PL06 using the official LiteOn flasher.[/QUOTE]
:bow: Thanks, I found PL01 dump, what do I use to flash my drive with the bin file?

[QUOTE=nickyboy4;2667057]:bow: Thanks, I found PL01 dump, what do I use to flash my drive with the bin file?[/QUOTE]

The details about the unlocked flasher method and what you need to do are in here: http://club.myce.com/f142/liteon-ihbs112-212-12x-bd-rw-313469/index2.html#post2628874 :slight_smile:

For more details read the next few posts in that thread too.

[QUOTE=cvs;2667059]The details about the unlocked flasher method and what you need to do are in here: http://club.myce.com/f142/liteon-ihbs112-212-12x-bd-rw-313469/index2.html#post2628874 :slight_smile:

For more details read the next few posts in that thread too.[/QUOTE]

Thanks again, where do I get an unlocked flasher for this drive? will the below work with my drive?

1. Right click the mouse to copy the older version .bin firmwae which has back up before
  2. Paste it into an official .exe firmware which has an unlocked flasher, such as iHAS324 B_AL18, you can find it at Firmware HQ

[QUOTE=nickyboy4;2667063]Thanks again, where do I get an unlocked flasher for this drive? will the below work with my drive?

1. Right click the mouse to copy the older version .bin firmwae which has back up before
  2. Paste it into an official .exe firmware which has an unlocked flasher, such as iHAS324 B_AL18, you can find it at Firmware HQ[/QUOTE]

Yes it will. Download the iHAS324_B_AL18.exe from Firmware HQ. That one has an unlocked flasher, as the thread I pointed you at mentioned.

[QUOTE=cvs;2667065]Yes it will. Download the iHAS324_B_AL18.exe from Firmware HQ. That one has an unlocked flasher, as the thread I pointed you at mentioned.[/QUOTE]

Ok, I gave it a dry run and it was ready to flash PL01, once I flash do I have to do anything else? I assume after a reboot I can then flash to the most current liteon firmware.
Will the eprom tool work so I can back it up before I flash?

[QUOTE=nickyboy4;2667079]Ok, I gave it a dry run and it was ready to flash PL01, once I flash do I have to do anything else? I assume after a reboot I can then flash to the most current liteon firmware.
Will the eprom tool work so I can back it up before I flash?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that should be the case. Just make sure you select the correct drive in the unlocked flasher’s list, and even more importantly make sure that after pasting, the flasher will say that the firmware will be updated to the PL01 firmware. If it says AL18 then something is wrong and you should not try to flash your drive under such circumstances.

The EEPROM Utility will work for EEPROM backup purposes (won’t work for Convert Drive purposes though, but you should not need that part anyway). The Flash Utility will not work correctly at all.

Got this on the Newegg BF deal with a 25-pack of Rosewill BD-R for $90 - $35 MIR = $55. Was going to return it when I found out it couldn’t bitset by default.
Flashing using the above instructions (to PL-01 and then to the just-released PL-06) works like a charm, and bitsetting in ImgBurn fully supported. So don’t worry if you got one of the more recent drives - you should still be good :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=bilditup1;2667237]Got this on the Newegg BF deal with a 25-pack of Rosewill BD-R for $90 - $35 MIR = $55. Was going to return it when I found out it couldn’t bitset by default.
Flashing using the above instructions (to PL-01 and then to the just-released PL-06) works like a charm, and bitsetting in ImgBurn fully supported. So don’t worry if you got one of the more recent drives - you should still be good :)[/QUOTE]

gonna try this when mine arrives :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=wordpr3ss;2667412]gonna try this when mine arrives :)[/QUOTE]

Cool :cool:

Let us know how it goes?

[QUOTE=cvs;2667163]Yes, that should be the case. Just make sure you select the correct drive in the unlocked flasher’s list, and even more importantly make sure that after pasting, the flasher will say that the firmware will be updated to the PL01 firmware. If it says AL18 then something is wrong and you should not try to flash your drive under such circumstances.

The EEPROM Utility will work for EEPROM backup purposes (won’t work for Convert Drive purposes though, but you should not need that part anyway). The Flash Utility will not work correctly at all.[/QUOTE]

:clap: I crossed flashed mine tonight and it went smoothly. Thanks again.:iagree::bow:

So I was too lazy to backup my original 03 Firmware of my Asus drive and guess what something went wrong.

I flashed the drive to PL01, restarted the machine. Then flashed PL06 and restarted.

Now for some reason the drive is shutting off after some time after I boot up. Needless to say hot swap is not on for the SATA bus so this makes the OS upset.

[B]DID ANYONE BACKUP THE ORIGINAL FIRMWARE/EEPROM DUMP? AND CAN SHARE IT WITH ME?[/B]

Thanks if you can help!

[QUOTE=taylorsyn;2667604]

[B]DID ANYONE BACKUP THE ORIGINAL FIRMWARE/EEPROM DUMP? AND CAN SHARE IT WITH ME?[/B]

[/QUOTE]

Seem seem sala-beem.

edit:replaced with link to firmware dump only

DW

[QUOTE=taylorsyn;2667604]
Now for some reason the drive is shutting off after some time after I boot up. Needless to say hot swap is not on for the SATA bus so this makes the OS upset.

DID ANYONE BACKUP THE ORIGINAL FIRMWARE/EEPROM DUMP? AND CAN SHARE IT WITH ME?
[/QUOTE]

Its been said a million times already, but I guess I’d better say it again … never flash an EEPROM file from another drive to yours. EEPROM files are unique (contain factory calibration data for the drive they come from).

What do you mean by “The drive is shutting off”?

Anyway, I highly doubt that such symptom could have anything to do with crossflashing your drive … particularly as it was later flashed with the official PL06 flasher … the more likely scenario is some weird Windows issue. Try uninstalling the drive completely by removing it from Device Manager and then doing a restart and see if the issue still remains or not. Maybe by forcing a driver reinstall, the issue will go away …

I don’t use windows, im on a custom built Hackintosh. I did use windows 7 for the flash on my roommates computer.

It was working fine, burned two blu rays watched a DVD. Then the next day, I did the flash. Thats when the problems started, all my DVD apps seem to hang and become unresponsive after short time playing disc.

Then the DVD drive is not responding to Eject commands via the OS or physcial eject.

It seems it may have been my operating system. I cleared out the system cache and drive is performing fine now.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2667465]Cool :cool:

Let us know how it goes?[/QUOTE]

Bought from Amazon, manufactured in June 2012, original firmware:
the same old 1.03 from Apr 2011.

flashing went smoothly :slight_smile:
don’t have anything to burn yet, but it works as a blu-ray player and so far so good.

cheers;)

[QUOTE=wordpr3ss;2667996]Bought from Amazon, manufactured in June 2012, original firmware:
the same old 1.03 from Apr 2011.

flashing went smoothly :slight_smile:
don’t have anything to burn yet, but it works as a blu-ray player and so far so good.

cheers;)[/QUOTE]

Excellent.

And thanks, CVS :clap:

[QUOTE=bilditup1;2667658]Seem seem sala-beem.

Is this just the original firmware dump? According to more experienced users on here, I am not supposed to update the EEPROM from another drive.

[QUOTE=taylorsyn;2667988]It seems it may have been my operating system. I cleared out the system cache and drive is performing fine now.[/QUOTE]

I spoke to soon, so the problem lies when I put my system to sleep for some time. When I resume from sleep the drive fails to power back on and is no longer connected to SATA bus.

I have to cut power to drive, either shutdown and turn of PSU, or pull plug from drive and reinsert, and its instantly connected back to SATA bus.

Did not have this problem before the flash

[QUOTE=taylorsyn;2668094]Is this just the original firmware dump? According to more experienced users on here, I am not supposed to update the EEPROM from another drive.[/QUOTE]

The file contains a firmware dump of the 1.03 firmware plus an EEPROM dump.
Yes, you should leave the EEPROM alone. Reverting back to the ASUS firmware only needs flashing the 1.03 firmware using the same unlocked flasher method you used for the original crossflash.

Regarding your standby issue, this seems to be an issue specific to your OS, as I haven’t heard of anyone with an iHBS112 drive complaining about something similar in Windows or Linux, so it doesn’t seem to be a widespread issue at all, but rather an isolated case…

Maybe you could tweak the sleep/standby settings of your Hackintosh, if it allows it, so that it doesn’t turn off optical/storage devices and/or SATA controllers …