Asus Blu-ray Burner 40 bucks after $35 rebate

vbimport

ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS

$39.99 after $35.00 rebate

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135252&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction--na--na-_-na&AID=10446076&PID=361116&SID=FWbb9yps

Good through 11-24

Link for rebate.

This was a good deal, I definitely placed my order for one!

Then again, $39.99 and no rebate… would be better…
What are these re/etailers thinking… stop making consumers jump through hoops to get a good deal! Asus just released a 14x drive… FINALLY, LG won’t have a monoply on 14x blu ray drives.

BTW, Micro Center nixed price matching altogether-- don’t even bother.

The hoop just got smaller, now it’s after a $20 rebate…
baby steps…

I used to love rebates, back in the days when you could price match and get a rebate (we really took advantage of that). Now, I tend to shy away from rebates. Just don’t have the patience for them anymore.

Newegg is now throwing in a free TDK disc. Great deal for 39.99 AR shipped!

I get these stupid flyers in my inbox all the time, newegg, office depot, sony, uniden and all the others. Most good deals I’ve found at Amazon…by looking.

Is this drive a liteon rebadge? I need a scanning blu-ray drive to monitor my 3 Pioneers with
and this seems like a pretty good option. If it is a rebadge can it be used a scanner also?
Thanks,
budzos

[QUOTE=budzos;2668053]Is this drive a liteon rebadge? I need a scanning blu-ray drive to monitor my 3 Pioneers with
and this seems like a pretty good option. If it is a rebadge can it be used a scanner also?
Thanks,
budzos[/QUOTE]

Yes. It can be cross flashed to a Liteon.

[QUOTE=nickyboy4;2668068]Yes. It can be cross flashed to a Liteon.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. So that means it should scan. Which Liteon can it be crossflashed to? Or does it vary like some of the other Asus dvd burners with A or B series firmware?
budzos

I found a bunch of threads on this crossflash but it seems I will have to wait till it arrives to confirm the firmware version before I can proceed. Thanks felch I have one on the way!
budzos

[QUOTE=budzos;2668132]I found a bunch of threads on this crossflash but it seems I will have to wait till it arrives to confirm the firmware version before I can proceed. Thanks felch I have one on the way!
budzos[/QUOTE]
Glad to hear it! :clap:

Please don’t hesitate to ask your friends in the burners forum for tips as you get started.

One quick tip. ODC 1.70 has a glitch with it’s “read disc label” function that shows up a lot. Go into “Options” and uncheck “read disc label automatically” before you even pop a disc in the drive.

Hope to see you joining our BD-R scanning crew in the “results and discussions” threads :).

Thanks for the tip deanwitty. So far all my burns seem to have been flawless
but I am looking forward to scanning them for some visual confirmation.
budzos

Well, I already have a 10x lite-on… so, if a scanning blu ray drive comes out for $25, I’ll bite… until then… meh, who cares…

Nevertheless, I predicted prices should’ve dropped to this range w/o rebates… I can’t imagine that blue ray lasers are any more expensive that dvd lasers by now… and the R&D premium is all but gone by now-- so that leaves greed in the supply chain/market.

[QUOTE=tmc8080;2668602]Well, I already have a 10x lite-on… so, if a scanning blu ray drive comes out for $25, I’ll bite… until then… meh, who cares…

Nevertheless, I predicted prices should’ve dropped to this range w/o rebates… I can’t imagine that blue ray lasers are any more expensive that dvd lasers by now… and the R&D premium is all but gone by now-- so that leaves greed in the supply chain/market.[/QUOTE]
I would not call it greed, simple supply and demand. The market sets the price. Newegg sells for $59., amazon follows, Microcenter still has it for over $100. Prob will drop in Jan as their sales run monthly.

During the 2003 - 2007 time period, dvd burners had a predictable slide in prices… blu ray is somewhat more complicated due to a downturn in the PC biz, record energy prices and other factors. 2008 - 2013’s been quite an interesting set of headwinds for tech of all striple.

I’m also convinced tablets and online streaming of video will be new factors in the demand for optical drives.