Asus 5232A vs 5224A vs Liteon 523267s

1. Which of these is best for copy protections?

2. I understand the Liteon had a recent firmware upgrade. Does this make it more reliable with SD 2.9?

3. I hear the Asus 5224A with FW 1.0 can copy all SD and SecuRom. Is this true?

4. How does the Asus 5232A compare and with which firmware?

5. Which has best write quality?

asus 5224a is generally known as being the best on safedisk protections I havent heard anything about the 5232 so i couldnt tell you on that. it will do securerom backups with the right software.

I would personally go with the LiteON LTR-52327S. I’m very pleased with my LiteON drive (previous model).

with the new version of firmware the liteon 52327s will correctly read subchannel (which is whats needed to do safedisk 2.9+) so if you go with the liteon make sure to update to latest firmware.

So, what’s the Asus drive like with SecuRom? Now that SecuRom 5 is announced with ‘anti-emulation’, its even more critical that we can get 100% copies!

Can both the Asus and Liteons (latest firmware) copy SD 2.9 and 3.1?

>the liteon 52327s will correctly read subchannel (which is whats
>needed to do safedisk 2.9+)

SD doesn’t use subs.

5224A Rev 1.0 kills SecuROM, SafeDisc, Ring PROTECH and LaserLock

Futureproof,

Asus kills SecuRom 4.8+?

What can the Liteon backup WITHOUT emulation that the Asus cant?

What can the Asus backup WITHOUT emulation that the Liteon cant?

Hi Future,
Where can I get the v1 firm for the Asus…?

Hey Futureproof, can I get a copy of F/W 1.0 as well ?

Bottom line is: Liteon can be hit or miss with SD 2.9 (I have 2 drives here and only 1 is reliable with SD 2.9)

I only have 1 ASUS 5224A drive (firmware 1.1) and it absolutely murders SD 2.9 (fantastic fast error skip just has to be seen to be believed).

Both Liteon and ASUS kill secuROM up to 4.85.07.115 (with the right software) Version 5.x hasn’t been seen yet to the best of my knowledge.

Originally posted by FutureProof
[B]>the liteon 52327s will correctly read subchannel (which is whats
>needed to do safedisk 2.9+)

SD doesn’t use subs.

5224A Rev 1.0 kills SecuROM, SafeDisc, Ring PROTECH and LaserLock [/B]

oops i didnt mean safedisk…and Rev. 1.1 does the same as Rev. 1.0 with copying…just dont expect the copy to work in all of your drives without emulation if you have some picky ones such as the toshi sd-m1402 etc.

Originally posted by Jamos
Rev. 1.1 does the same as Rev. 1.0 with copying.

Fw rev. 1.37 works fine too with either alcohol or discjuggler (though apparently not with blindwrite and is hit or miss with ccd).

To summarize,

Liteon can do a 100% backup of all except SD 2.9 (depending on burner).

Asus can do a 100% backup of all.

1. Does this apply to both the 5232AS and 5224A found on http://www.asus.com/products/optical/opindex.htm?

2. Doesnt using FW rev 1.0 for the 5224A mean less media compatibility?

3. Where can I get the tools (& FW) to downgrade the firmware of a 5224A. I can get these for $60 Aussie!

I would add to this topic that the LiteOn will blow the Asus away for write quality and media compatability, if that matters. Not even a close contest.

When you talk about write quality, does that mean logevity of disc? Will the data last longer with good write quality?

Originally posted by Serpeant
When you talk about write quality, does that mean logevity of disc? Will the data last longer with good write quality?

Much lower error rates on a wide variety of CDR’s, it means the discs are less likely to have reading problems on other drives. The LiteOn also burns a wider variety of media at high speed, where the Asus will limit speeds on the same discs. As to longevity, yes if error rates are lower the discs should last longer, but mostly it means the LiteOn will burn the media faster with better quality (lower errors). It’s just a much better burner.
The Asus is a better reader. Maybe you need to buy both?

:wink:

>As to longevity, yes if error rates are lower
> the discs should last longer

LOL. Didn’t know that 1s and 0s did that :wink: All this time I thought it was just up to quality media :bigsmile:

hi,
i would like to add the fact the newer lite-on are far better than most of their competetors in respect to features(flashrom bois), softwares availabe (smartburn, kropbe) and write quality(the amount of c1 & c2 errors).
i have copied sd. 2.9 without anyprobs.
the older lite-on’ s seem to have had many problems but people who want to buy lite-on won’t buy the older one , which is natural, and the newer ones’ kick ass .
so for me lite-on is the best

What would be nice, really nice, is a list of Liteys by model and FW Rev showing whether they can do SD2.9/3.x in a DiscJuggler read/write and/or a DiscDump read and FireBurner write.

Hmm, why don’t I start one now!