Asus 5224a VS Liteon Ltr 52246s

vbimport

My Liteon Ltr 24102B wont make backup copies of SD 2.9x. Philamber says

Incidentally, so far every attempt to copy the cd with my Ltr-24102B has failed even though burning the same images to the same cdrw with my Asus using the same settings has succeeded.

I love my litey and would prefer to stick to that brand. Has anyone had any success with the new 52x Liteon?

My understanding is that the 52x Litey doesn’t have any particular problems making working copies of sd 2.9 protected cds with alcohol.

The Ltr-24102b (with 5s5a firmware) fails because of a firmware bug (according the alcohol team). I’m uncertain whether the same bug affects older firmware versions.

[The Asus CRW 5224A has no particular problems with sd 2.9 either.]

Originally posted by philamber

The Ltr-24102b (with 5s5a firmware) fails because of a firmware bug (according the alcohol team). I’m uncertain whether the same bug affects older firmware versions.

I have firmware version 5s5a, and apparently you can’t roll back anymore. I have no way of testing older firmware. It was time to get a new burner anyway. I’m going to take your “recommendation” and get the Asus 5224a.
(I just ordered the Asus 5224a for $53.05 U.S. after taxes w/ free shipping. Much Cheaper than I expected.)

Do you know if a litey 52x can copy sd2.9 with clonecd 4202?

Originally posted by pyro_dragun
Do you know if a litey 52x can copy sd2.9 with clonecd 4202?

Pot luck (some can, some can’t), as with sd 2.8. Can do both sd 2.8 and sd 2.9 with alcohol though.

@ gregski24

You can flash back to older firmware with mtkflash.

I read on a few other forums here that DiscJuggler correctly copies the pre-gap. Is this true for Disc Juggler version 4.10.1063-PRO2?

If so, wouldn’t that be a superior software package against safedisk 2.8 and 2.9. If anyone has knowledge of this please let me know. Or a step by step guide on how to do it. I am tempted to try.

If DJ can copy the pregap correctly, why can’t clonecd?
Maybe in the next version, which is hopefully sometime soon.

Originally posted by xtacydima
I read on a few other forums here that DiscJuggler correctly copies the pre-gap. Is this true for Disc Juggler version 4.10.1063-PRO2?

Yes, so long as the reader used is capable of reading it correctly (most Lite-on devices can’t) and a 2 sheep writer (with some exceptions for sd 2.9) is used to write the image.

I suspect my toshiba drive listed in my setup should not have a problem with it.

But can anybody post instructions?

I have posted this info before but I need to add it to the FAQ, methinks!

DJ - depends on the reader; if the device can read the pre-gap then it will make a working backup; if it can’t it won’t - fullstop - because it will not write emulation. Toshi and ASUS are OK. Some Lite-on, (hit or miss), can but most can’t. DJ can read the pre-gap but it’s up to the reader to comply.

CCD - can read the pre-gap but if the reader can’t, it will emulate the pre-gap and produce a working backup either way.

DJ assures you of an emulation-free pre-gap.
CCD assures you of a working backup either way.

Originally posted by xtacydima
But can anybody post instructions?

Correct settings are posted in the first post of this thread.

Just scroll down, quite a long way down actually :wink: , to where the dj settings for recent safedisc protected games are indicated. :slight_smile:

OK, I used MtkFlash to drop back to the next older firmware on my LTR-24102B, and still no joy using Diskdump w/Nero and Fireburner, and CCD with the Safedisc No AWS profile. I made a total of six images, four with the burner (two with each firmware) and two with my Liteon LTD 163d DVD player (one with DD and one with CCD). So I’m guessing I’ve got the “miss” in the hit or miss scenario. But . . .
Are you saying that this same setup will burn SD 2.9 with DJ? Or is that a waste of time for me too? Futureproof is implying that I should have made a working backup with CCD, but I’m here to tell you that I didn’t.
I’m just curious now because my Asus 5224a is suppose to arrive today with my long awaited joy.

It would appear that anything Lite-On 24x and below is not working with the very latest SD2.9x

My Asus 5224A arrived yesterday and I still am not able to make a working back up of The Sims Superstar using Clone Cd. I used both SD profiles. No luck. I even tried making a cue sheet and burning it with the bundled Nero. What settings do you use to backup SD 2.9 w/ Clone Cd?
On a brighter note, I updated CD Mate to the latest version and created a back up that works (in the Liteon DVD and Liteon 52x Cd Rom). I also gave Disc Juggler a spin (First time. A little confusing but kind of nifty.) It also created a working back up.
I thought the Asus burner & CCD combo worked. Either I’m doing something wrong or I jumped to the wrong conclusion in assuming it was a working combo. Which is it?

Please tell me how you did it in Disc Juggler. I found it confusing. I couldn’t even backup a safedisc 2.7 game. So I know it was something I did wrong. Cause my Litey should be able to do it.

Well . . . just follow Philambers instructions in an earlier post.

Correct settings are posted in the first post of this thread.

Here’s what he was referring to (Also originally posted by Philamber, I believe):

DISCJUGGLER

First make sure that in Tools-> Options-> Verify that “Check CD data blocks with software generated EDC/ECC when reading in RAW mode” is unchecked.

Once you’ve done that, correct settings are:

READ
Check Scan gaps and indices, Ignore read errors and Raw read.
Read Speed - Any.
Leave other settings unchecked.

WRITE
Check Raw write.
Write Speed - Any
Leave other settings unchecked.

Follow these instructions and it should work fine. Let me know. I might hook my litey back up and try it myself.

Originally posted by gregski24
I thought the Asus burner & CCD combo worked.

Not always. It doesn’t work for me either. Guess that makes two of us now.

Still, good to know that you got it copied successfully with alternative soft.

Originally posted by philamber
[B]My understanding is that the 52x Litey doesn’t have any particular problems making working copies of sd 2.9 protected cds with alcohol.

[The Asus CRW 5224A has no particular problems with sd 2.9 either.] [/B]

So it shouldn’t matter whether you use the Litey52 or Asus52 when making Safedisc2.9 backups with the latest Alcohol 120% (v4.3.1 build 518)? Which would you consider the best for making Securom NEW 4.8x backups? And would you choose the BlindWrite Suite 4.25 or the Alcohol + TwinPeak method?

Hello to all,

I did a back-up of a SD 2.9 protected game … (have to look back witch one).
No problems at all.
Reader: Lite-On LTD 165
Writer: 52 Speed Lite-On.
CloneCD: 4.2.0.2
Hopes this helps,

Lenco

Lenco,
Which game and what profile/settings did you use? Are you using emulation?

Hello,

Will look up the game when I get home this afternoon.
It is a Euro version and used the default Safedisc profile without Amplification of weak sectors.
Best regards,

Lenco