Asus 2014L1T Read/Write speed control

vbimport

Hello,

I currently own a 1608P2 DVD-RW and when reading DVDs I can only select 48X or MAX speed for reading. Also when writing on a TDK 1-16X (Manufacter TDK) I can only choose 6X, 8X, 12X and 16X when writing. I want to buy a new DVD-RW which allows me to specify any reading speed and when writing I want to be able to use lower speeds. I’m a 4X DVD writing fanatic and don’t want to buy inferior media just to be able to write at 4X. I was thinking of 2014L1T model and was wondering if this one fits my needs.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum Atombomb

Here are some screens which show the option to burn at 4X with the 2014 ASUS:

Thanks for the quick reply and detailed information. :iagree:

you are welcome.

I bought an ASUS 2014L1T and I want to know if it normal than whenever the tray closes it makes a strange grinding noise?

I have mine in an external case but I just tried it a few times and I do not hear any unusal noise or grinding.

Hmm seems others noticed it too…

We received a new drive from Asus that resolved many of these issues, although the noise when recognizing a DVD still sounded like an uncomfortable clunking and grinding. Oddly, other than this noise, reading and writing and using the drive was mostly a quiet affair.

Well if it fails, I guess I’ll return it…

[QUOTE=Atombomb;2022961]Hello,

I currently own a 1608P2 DVD-RW and when reading DVDs I can only select 48X or MAX speed for reading. Also when writing on a TDK 1-16X (Manufacter TDK) I can only choose 6X, 8X, 12X and 16X when writing. [B]I want to buy a new DVD-RW which allows me to specify any reading speed and when writing I want to be able to use lower speeds.[/B] I’m a 4X DVD writing fanatic and don’t want to buy inferior media just to be able to write at 4X. I was thinking of 2014L1T model and was wondering if this one fits my needs.

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Nope.

The rule is to use reliable media and not such crappo like TDK.
And speeds are even more MEDIA dependent.

The grinding sound is made always when the tray closes, with or without a DVD inside.

[quote=chef;2025542]Nope.

The rule is to use reliable media and not such crappo like TDK.
And speeds are even more MEDIA dependent.[/quote]

It’s usually the other way around…When using crappy media you don’t get high speeds… And TDK is actually decent… I know speeds are media dependent, but not to a point when user has no control over it. The 2014L1T allows me both to write/read at lower speeds as I wanted… so in this case it was the optical unit not the"crappo" media…perhaps you can enlighten me what media you are using? Verbatim maybe? cause besides that I don’t know any good media, and I talk from experience…

[QUOTE=Atombomb;2025669]It’s usually the other way around…When using crappy media you don’t get high speeds… [B]And TDK is actually decent…[/B] I know speeds are media dependent, but not to a point when user has no control over it. The 2014L1T allows me both to write/read at lower speeds as I wanted… so in this case it was the optical unit not the"crappo" media…perhaps you can enlighten me what media you are using? Verbatim maybe? cause besides that I don’t know any good media, and I talk from experience…[/QUOTE]

“TDK decent” … Oh well, there are few batched from them that are acceptable, but the majority is cheapo these days.
Verbatim & Ricoh media is a good start. If you want more, just grab TY media.