Asterisks in SubRip 1.5b4

Hello, I’m trying to convert a DVD movie I’ve bought a few years ago in Toronto (West Side Story) from NTSC to PAL. As a part of of the procedure I’m trying to rip subtitles from it, so I could use it later in conversion. Program I’m using is SubRip version 1.50 b4. Everything seems to proceed fine, OCR reads the subs (english, french and spanish) OK, but instead
of text at the bottom part of the window I get only asterisks. I’ve tried to save the resulting file in other formats, convert it, but nothing seems to work. Perhaps I need to install some other codecs (or something else) besides AviSynth v.2.5 I allready installed. Thanks for your help. (Also should you know any less complicated way as how to do the above mentioned conversion, I would gladly appreciate that).

I’ll transfer this to the CD Freaks’ Video Edit forum, where you may get more specific answers.

Edit: Done.

[QUOTE=FJFD;1929877]Hello, I’m trying to convert a DVD movie I’ve bought a few years ago in Toronto (West Side Story) from NTSC to PAL.[/QUOTE]

WHY would you do that?

European players can play NTSC DVDs easily.

I prefer PAL. It has many more lines and better colors.

[QUOTE=FJFD;1930167]I prefer PAL. It has many more lines and better colors.[/QUOTE]

And? You cannot just create a “better” picture by converting something.
Conversion is always degradation!