Assign menu buttons to subtitles

vbimport

Hi, I’ve a question: say I’d would want to add my own subtitle to a dvd with menu. Logically, I would have to demux the dvd first. The resulting files are the audio(ac3) and video files, plus a few subtitle files.
My question is: could I, in the end reassign the those demuxed subtitle files and/or audio files to the menu buttons from the original menu.

Propably, it would be too ‘advanced’ for me to create a new button for the new subtitle, but maybe there is a simple way to reassign the demuxed subtitles to the buttons that are already there. I’m curious for you responses. Thanks in advance!

Daan

Of course! Remux the DVD with muxman, putting the subtitle streams back where you want them.

Say you have streams 1, 2 and 3 and new stream 4 which you want as stream 1 (instead of the current stream 1). When you assign the streams in muxman, go to the #4 subs file when stream 1 is being muxed. Now go to stream 2 and assign the #2 subs files and the same for 3. Mux them together (don’t forget to add a celltimes.txt file for your chapters - this is easily generated when you demux with PGCDemux).

Now take the muxed project and open it in PgcEdit. Also open the original project with the menu in PgcEdit. Double click on the title you have demuxed and remuxed. Copy the subtitle CLUT. Over to the remuxed version and double click on the title and click Paste. OK and save.

In the original project, highlight the movie title and from the menu go File --> Replace VTST titles. Follow the prompts to substitute the remuxed version for the original one (select backup VOBs just in case things go amiss).

Test in a software player and burn.

Regards

Thanks for you response. One question, does this mean I’ve to include all the subtitles from the original, and in the same stream as the original one?

Hello anyone?

I need some help with the method blutach described. I understood the first part (so previous question solved): I muxed the audio, video and all subtitle file, replacing one subtitle file with the new subtitle file. However, in the next part I ran in to some problems and I wasnt sure if I was doing it rightly or not. (For example which VTS title I have to open to copy the CLUT and some prompts in the end I wasnt sure about)

Now take the muxed project and open it in PgcEdit. Also open the original project with the menu in PgcEdit. Double click on the title you have demuxed and remuxed. Copy the subtitle CLUT. Over to the remuxed version and double click on the title and click Paste. OK and save.

In the original project, highlight the movie title and from the menu go File --> Replace VTST titles. Follow the prompts to substitute the remuxed version for the original one (select backup VOBs just in case things go amiss).

Is there anyone with experience with this program who could give a clear explanation of this part. (e.g. step to step).
Thanks a lot!!

Daan

[QUOTE=daan_odi_;2111958]Thanks for you response. One question, does this mean I’ve to include all the subtitles from the original, and in the same stream as the original one?[/QUOTE]No, see my answer above.

Is there anyone with experience with this program who could give a clear explanation of this part. (e.g. step to step).
I thought that’s what I did. Follow the instructions exactly and you’ll be right. Don’t worry, you can’t hurt anything - just try it out.

Regards

All right, well I understand most part I think… but I find this line a bit confusing, to where I 've to copy and paste the CLUT:

Double click on the title you have demuxed and remuxed. Copy the subtitle CLUT. Over to the remuxed version and double click on the title and click Paste.

Could you rephrase that sentence?
Thanks.

Daan

Which one? Look in the help file about Copy and Paste options in the PGC Editor. I have tried to explain them there, too.

Regards

No need to… it worked!!! (With a little experimenting…) Thank you!!! :):slight_smile:
However, am I right that you can only actually [I]replace a stream[/I],
so you can’t keep [I]all [/I]the original streams and add one of your own. I noticed that when I had 10 original streams and added an eleventh of my own, this eleventh stream was no longer than on the dvd that was created by pgcedit.

Daan

However, am I right that you can only actually [I]replace a stream[/I],
so you can’t keep [I]all [/I]the original streams and add one of your own. I noticed that when I had 10 original streams and added an eleventh of my own, this eleventh stream was no longer than on the dvd that was created by pgcedit.

No need to anwser that either, now I also have the eleventh stream on the dvd
In my resulting dvd all chapter/audio/subtitle buttons work, and I’ve added an extra subtitle stream (which I can acces with the remote).

The last thing I could do to make it even better is to add a button for my (dutch) subtitle. But that would get too complicated right? :stuck_out_tongue:

Nothing is too complicated. :slight_smile:

You need to extract your subpic menu foreground (as a BMP), edit it with a photo editing app to say Dutch in an appropriate place and remux the subpic menu back into the menu VOB (using DVDRMP or preferably VobBlanker - guide on site). Assign it a button with an appropriate size and placement and VM command (using PgcEdit or DVDRMP) AND finally edit the subpic bitmaps for all groups (use DVDSubEdit for this) to assign button highlights (copying another highlight is simple and it’s a matter of placement).

This sounds like a lot and is to a novice but it can be done. The hardest part of this is the subpic bitmaps but with a bit of practice, you can be an expert. Do get familiar with DVDSubEdit and note that the official forum for both PgcEdit and DVDSubEdit is at Doom9, where the authors of these fine freeware apps are available to answer your questions.

For now, congrats on your achievements so far and bye from me.

Regards

Hi. All is working great!! :iagree: I tried this method several times, and they all went well. However, I only had only one problem, concerning the chapters. Apperantly, Pgcdemux always skips or (mostly) does an extra one in the celltimes file.
So, when I decide in pgcdemux, in the dialogue box to not keep the subtitle/chapter settings from the original (which I want, else it doesn’t add the extra subtitle file) it takes of course the chapter positions from the muxed file (with the bad chapter positions, and adds it to the final dvd. The result is that most chapter buttons give the wrong chapter.
Is there a way to get the chapters right.

The chapter positions are not bad - I dunno why you think they are. Chapters are not always one per cell. PgcDemux outputs celltimes, not chapter times. After you have remuxed, check out the PGC structure in PgcEdit and remove unwanted programs and chapters to make it match the original. This is easily done by clicking on the PGN to toggle the insertion or removal of a program and then adjusting the chapter table to ensure the chapters line up.

Regards