Assassin's Creed 2 DRM is worse than imagined

vbimport

Assassin’s Creed 2 DRM is worse than imagined.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2010/02/MKpDYD.jpg[/newsimage]Unsurprisingly, Ubisoft's latest attempt to stop piracy is causing problems for legitimate buyers of its games.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/assassins-creed-2-drm-is-worse-than-imagined-26142/](http://www.myce.com/news/assassins-creed-2-drm-is-worse-than-imagined-26142/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Actually there is an option to save games online or locally, but still need connection to play what you bought. Wow, what an unbelievable load of BS !

Wow. Holy smokes, would I ever be PO’ed with Ubi Soft if I had any of these issues. What a serious bunch of A$$holes. I am in Montreal and run into people from Ubisoft from time to time. They’re gonna hear it from me next time…

This BS is going to seriously turn off gamers. It would encourage me to pirate the game. I hope it hurts their sales and they learn that they went too far. Listen to me Ubisoft, you are making a big mistake.

And after that they wonder why people pirate games.

Usually I would say piracy is wrong, but when companies start pulling this type of bullshit scew 'em… when it gets ripped find it and play away… let the hackers “fix it” for you so you can play offline.

“internet connection required” in order to play a game is ridiculous! Nuff said

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2495195]“internet connection required” in order to play a game is ridiculous! Nuff said[/QUOTE]

For single player games.

I doubt MMO devs would agree with you otherwise.

This protection will be cracked anyway and again, it’s legit consumers (those who buy the game) who will suffer, not pirates.
Most pirates don’t care about DRM.

A lot of people I know, especially students, use mobile Internet (3G, HSDPA, etc.) Even in a good signal area, they have occasional drop-outs. DSL is also prone to drop-outs, such as when using a bad or improperly fitted DSL filter. Lights and appliances turning on/off can cause the DSL connection to lose sync, especially with long runs from the exchange.

In my opinion, the worse the DRM gets, the more it will encourage piracy and I wouldn’t be surprised if some paying customers end up obtaining a pirated copy just so they can play offline and use their purchased version for online multiplayer use. The entertainment industries seem to forget that pirated material has the DRM defeated, so it’s generally only the genuine paying customers that actually get affected by DRM.

If anyone can think of a better abbreviation for DRM to describe it as unfair, see this thread. :slight_smile:

Here’s hoping people vote with their wallets…

Thanks for the cartoons, Mr. Belvedere. Very entertaining. LOL.

LOL @ Comics!

I did not even notice the DRM figure in the second picture right away!

Seriously, Steam is giving me a hard time if somehow my ISP has messed up again - I’m not even able to play the (offline) games which I have paid for…

Well this will be another game I wont be buying. Stuff having to go online just to play a bloody game. Ubisoft? Ubis&&t more like…

Does this affect consoles too or just those who play on a PC?

I know that this is rare but what if someone that buys this game does not have internet?

[QUOTE=skyblue14213;2495504]I know that this is rare but what if someone that buys this game does not have internet?[/QUOTE]

Then he has a nice new box to stare at.

or if someone wants to play it with less quality graphics on a laptop and they have no wi-fi access?

I agree with the previous poster. Bad DRM only affects paying customers. All DRM gets cracked, so the Pirates get a nice DRM free copy, while the people that shelled out for it, get one laden with annoying DRM. It’s lame.

[QUOTE=Zod;2495649]I agree with the previous poster. Bad DRM only affects paying customers. All DRM gets cracked, so the Pirates get a nice DRM free copy, while the people that shelled out for it, get one laden with annoying DRM. It’s lame.[/QUOTE] Draconian DRM like this will not turn pirates into paying customers. :disagree:

It will, however, turn paying customers into pirates! :doh:

WOW seems like it hit a nearve with a lot of gamers. I think it is fair that they want to protect thier game from hacks/cracks/pirates however the way it is being done will and should hurt sales. I am over in Iraq and loose my satellite connection constantly so it will not be a game I will buy. Even when I am back state-side I will probably shy away from this due to the required Internet connection, hey are they going to pay for my bandwith too? What else is streaming across back to their systems?

Too bad, I enjoy the game.

I am not sure it will turn paying customers into pirates as has been said and echoed by many but it will make them look for the crack to the legally purchased game.

[QUOTE=skyblue14213;2495504]I know that this is rare but what if someone that buys this game does not have internet?[/QUOTE]

I have a customer who is partially sighted (he sits about 4 inches from this monitor to play his game) who can manage to play games but can’t or does not want the internet. He has hundreds of paid for games if he buys this one he is screwed