ASROCK Fatal1ty 970 Performance + Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD?

vbimport

Hi,
Will it work when I connect Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD to ASROCK Fatal1ty 970 Performance ?

Thank you.

[QUOTE=adamekcerv;2758104]Hi,
Will it work when I connect Samsung SM951 M.2 SSD to ASROCK Fatal1ty 970 Performance ?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]
If that board has an m.2 slot then why wouldn’t it? Look at the specs of the motherboard, if it has an m.2 slot then it will work.

Of course, but it doesn’t have PCIe gen 3. Is it OK ?

To get full performance, you will need an M.2 socket that is X4 PCIe3, which should give you 32Gbps of bandwidth.

If this is a Z97 chipset motherboard, and the M.2 socket is connected to the Z97 PCH (Platform Controller Hub), then you will restricted to 2X PCIe2, or 10Gbps max bandwidth.

You can however add a [B]PCIe3 to M.2 adapter[/B], and install it in one of the X16 PCIe3 sockets of the motherboard.

Thank you.

There have been issues booting from PCIe M.2 SSD drives. Some motherboards support it, others don’t.

The Samsung XP941 / SM951 do not have their own option ROM, so rely on the module being built into the host system / motherboard.

According to this page, the “[I]AsRock Fatal1ty 970 Performance/3.1 works and boots with the SM951[/I]”. It also says that a similar AsRock 970 motherboard “supports PCIe 2.0 x2”, so you would probably be limited to 10Gbit/s as [B]Dee[/B] has already mentioned.

The PCIe3 to M.2 adapter [B]Dee[/B] posted a link to says “[I]Samsung PCIe M.2 SSD doesn’t support system boot[/I]”. I would expect this to be motherboard dependant, but it is something to keep in mind if you go down that route.