ASPI not an option in Kprobe

vbimport

#1

Hello, I’m new to the forums (though have been lurking for a few weeks now) and I’m noticing that most all of my kprobe scans seem ridiculously high, though all of the media that I have burned can be played back on my drives fine.

Kprobe does not give me an option to select ASPI when scanning for results in either CD or DVD media, but Nero Infotool tells me that both my System ASPI and Nero ASPI are working properly. All of the scans that I have done are in SPTI mode, which I have discovered through another post is not very reliable.

My hardware/software configuration is as follows:

DVD/RW: Lite-on LDW-811s (firmware version HS0Q)
DVD-ROM: Pioneer DVD-117 (newest firmware, 1.07)
motherboard: ECS K7S5A
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700+
Memory: 512MB ocsystem PC2700

Operating system: Windows 2000 SP4
burning software: Ahead Nero 6.3.1.15
test software: Kprobe v2.2.2

I can list other pieces of hardware if neccessary (tv tuner, usb pci card, sound card, etc), but I believe that that should be adequate.

Please excuse the ignorance, but is there something that I need to manually adjust in order for kprobe to recognize ASPI?

Thanks in advance,
-mike


#2

what happens when you try to change from spti to aspi? Is the option grayyed out, is there an error message of some kind?


#3

I had the same problem before and it’s because your ASPI is either corrupted or uninstalled. Download forceaspi and run the killaspi batch file first, reboot, run installaspi batch, reboot, and it should be fine.


#4

Thanks…that did it :slight_smile:

However, my kprobe test scans are still extremely high. The last scan I did resulted in a PI average around 1000 and a PO average around 100. My reader can read the disc fine, and it was just burned maybe two weeks ago at the rated speed (2.4x). It also seems that my 4x richojpn discs return the same results…any ideas on that one?

I’m still fairly new to this whole concept, and trying to learn, but these error ratings seem too high even before tweaking.


#5

Well, I used to scan my results with KProbe after burning a disc, however, they were never at the single- and double-digit levels for PI level, and the PO was “nearly” perfect when I used my 2500A, but somewhat high from my 411S. Needless to say, I went through several burns and still the same results. All the backups played fine in my machines from beginning to end with either burners. I’ve even tried 411S@811S and the results were a bit worse compared to stock 411S. I can’t say I’ve tried all different media manufacturer types, but I’ve used RICOHJPNR01, MXLRG02, TYG01, and G04 without any problems. Thus, I’ve abandoned using KProbe, and just use CD-DVD speed to check the linearity of the reading curve instead.


#6

Thanks for the tip. It seems that Kprobe is giving me insanely high error counts for all of the discs I burn…but I tried out the nero cd-dvd speed media quality option and here’s what resulted:

General Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S
Firmware: HS0K
Disc: DVD-ROM (RICOHJPN R01)
Selected speed: Maximum
PI errors
Maximum: 161
Average: 29.88
Total: 385368
PI failures
Maximum: 8
Average: 0.70
Total: 11289
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning statistics
Number of samples: 107550
Average scanning interval: 1.19 ECC
Glitches removed: 3



#7

I think I found the issue. It seems as though my drive likes to spin up at around 2.5x or so and work its way up, it doesn’t like scanning at 4x straight from the start. The max speed scan averaged out at just a hair under 6x, but when I scanned at 4x flat I get incredibly crappy results like this one.

The real question is, is this something to be concerned about?

General Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S
Firmware: HS0K
Disc: DVD-ROM (RICOHJPN R01)
Selected speed: 4 X
PI errors
Maximum: 1267
Average: 991.11
Total: 15149220
PI failures
Maximum: 55
Average: 28.12
Total: 1973168
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning statistics
Number of samples: 111349
Average scanning interval: 1.15 ECC
Glitches removed: 171



#8

You may want to try the latest firmware, HS0Q, I believe, and over at the LiteOn subforum, there’s a link to OmniPatcher, which is a very useful tool if you are adventurous in using some modded “unofficial” LiteOn firmware. If you haven’t done so, read/peruse through the stickys first and familiarize yourself with all those tools.

My results were pretty much just like what you’ve shown, if not worse at times. Try scanning with CD-DVD Speed only, not the CD-DVD Quality, and see how that is.

Lastly, others will be able to offer more assistance in the LiteOn subforum.


#9

thanks for the help…I’ve tried 3 different firmwares though. HS0P (that came with the drive), HS0Q, and lastly HS0K because I noticed that many users on the forum found it to be the most compatable.

I think I’ll heed your advice and try asking in the lite-on subforum to see if anyone has had the same results and what their fixes were. Thanks again :slight_smile: