ASPI; f/w

vbimport

[b]Hi all. i was wondering, when u install a new firware for a cdwriter, is the firmware stored on the writer or in your OS, in other words if i reformat my HDD, will i need to reinstall my firmware updates.
Also, what about ASPI layers. Do they stay updraded whan you reformat the HDD or do they stay installed.
[/b]

firmware is stored in a so called “(EP)ROM-chip”.

In the old days, those chips were truely “ROM” (read only). And firmware upgrades could only be done replacing the chip.
I once received a chip from Plextor for my Plex32TS (they shipped it for free!).

But nowadays, those chips are “editable”. You can use your PC to reprogram the chip, using the apropriate firmware-software. Once programmed, the data remains in the chip and can only be changed with another firmware editing. (formatting your HD won’t affect it)

Aspi layers are something different. The OS uses them to approach your cd® drives if I’m not mistaking. They are stored on your HD (somewhere in the windows directory), so they have to be reinstalled after a format.

Originally posted by Wannes
firmware is stored in a so called “(EP)ROM-chip”.
I take it this is a part of the CD writer itself.
Originally posted by Wannes
Aspi layers are something different. The OS uses them to approach your cd® drives if I’m not mistaking. They are stored on your HD (somewhere in the windows directory), so they have to be reinstalled after a format.
This is great to hear - i have been having problems since i installed 4.70 on win 98se - couldn’t install new firmware!!

Thanks for the info :wink:

Yep, the chip is a little black plastic “chip” :stuck_out_tongue: in the cdrom. On some drives, it’s visible when you turn the drive upside down. (a little hole in the metal case)
But that’s mostly on old drives; to exchange the chips with newer ones. New drives don’t need this, cuz the upgrade is done with software.

Are you trying to update your firmware inside of Windows? If I remember correctly (been a long time since I updated my Mitsumi CR-4801te to 2.03 firmware) I believe you have to do the flash within a true MS-DOS prompt without Windows loaded. So either make a boot disk or just reboot to MS-DOS (Win98 actually lets you do that). I hope this helps you out.

Originally posted by Fish3669
Are you trying to update your firmware inside of Windows? If I remember correctly (been a long time since I updated my Mitsumi CR-4801te to 2.03 firmware) I believe you have to do the flash within a true MS-DOS prompt without Windows loaded. So either make a boot disk or just reboot to MS-DOS (Win98 actually lets you do that).
I have been trying with windows flash program but it won’t recognise my liteon Drive. [I have posted on the liteon forum about this]

how do you make this boot cd(because i have a DOS version of the firmware) - is it by: going to control panel----->—>ADD/Remove programs---->start up disk tab----> create disk???
Is this an MS DOS BOOT disk?