ASPI drivers

Which ASPI drivers are the best? I mainly use Nero 6 and CloneCD and i was wondering if i should upgrade my ASPI drivers. Lately my TDK burner is pissing me off by not burn properly and at dead slow speed ( ie 16X) even though i set it at 32X with certified media whihc i know works at 32X and DMA is ON. Would upgrading ASPI drivers help?

the general concensus is that 4.60 is the most stable. however, i’m guessing ur problems are probably not aspi related, esp since nero uses its own aspi. u should explain in more detail what ur problems are.

even though the burn seems normal, the result disc is unplayable? there are no buffer underruns what so ever, however there was a speed drop. burned at 24X, then for the first 10 seconds it started offf at 20X, then suddenly dropped to 16X and remained that way for the rest of the burn. all seems normal but the disc wont play? it was a divx file on the disc

“the general concensus is that 4.60 is the most stable”
I am getting sick and tired of seeing this statement being made.

If anyone wants to bother with the truth then check out Adaptecs website where they state clearly that 4.60 is the LATEST that should be used with Win95!

Of course the multitude of idiots that then promptly ignored that and installed newer versions on Win95 discovered this to be true.

4.60 should only be used on Win95, the newer versions are for the newer operating systems!

If anyone wants to bother with the truth then check out Adaptecs website where they state clearly that 4.60 is the LATEST that should be used with Win95!

You know it has nothing to do with truth, that is adaptecs website and they are going to “try” to make improvements. The fact that everyone says to use 4.60 is because it is tried and true not a lie. I would much rather take the word of everyday users then that of a maker. Just because adaptec says so, doesn’t make it so. 4.60 in the words of more than just a few people is the best that they have encountered and they know they work. Besides Burn at Once will not work with any other version, unless they have changed that. Using the 4.60 version doesn’t make anyone an idiot, what does make an idiot is when you install a new driver and it works worse than the old did but you keep the new because it is recommended update for your operating system.

The key word being “recommended” not it must be done.
Besides most Burning software has made ASPI useless in their own right by including their own layer.

Originally posted by Black Diamond
[B]“the general concensus is that 4.60 is the most stable”
I am getting sick and tired of seeing this statement being made.

Of course the multitude of idiots that then promptly ignored that and installed newer versions on Win95 discovered this to be true.

4.60 should only be used on Win95, the newer versions are for the newer operating systems! [/B]

u can go ahead and install whatever aspi u want. nobody’s stopping u from using the later versions that are known to cause problems while everyone else uses 4.60.

Need I say more?
Neither kamikazee nor AZImmortal have even bothered to read and understand my post.

Adaptec state quite clearly you do NOT use newer than 4.60 on Win95.
Those idiots that ignored that and used later versions discovered that they were unstable, hence leading to the false claim that newer versions are unstable whereas 4.60 isn’t.

That ONLY holds true for Win95, NOT newer Operating systems.

I got my first burner when using Win98SE and always updated ASPI when it became available.
My trusty TEAC SCSI burnt some 5000 odd cds under 98SE and some 2000 since I upgraded to Win2000.

Oddly each and every cd burnt was done DAO!
Even my DVD burner does DAO.

If you wish to use 4.60 then that is up to you, but if you are using anything other than Win95 then newer versions are perfectly stable.

i HAVE read and understood ur post, but it is blatantly wrong to say that aspi versions higher than 4.60 cause zero problems on windows versions higher than 95. i tried 4.71 once while using winxp, and it caused many problems with burning programs. if u do a search, there are many posts that point to problems others have with versions other than 4.60. the simple fact is that 4.60 is stable, while anything higher depends on luck as to whether or not u have problems.

thats not what he is saying, what he is saying is people can’t read and put aspi layers greater than 4.60 on win95 hence thats where everyone get the idea that current aspi layers are better than 4.60. because people put 4.71 on 95 and think they aren’t any good because they don’t work properly. It didn’t come from trial and error by a whole lot of people but the few who tried to put 4.71 on win95 instead of 4.60 which is all that is available or recommended for 95. I got the jist of what he is saying, but it is still an ignorant comment, you use what works for you and I’ll use what works for me as will many others.
What he is saying is since 4.71 didn’t work in 95 so we idiots assume it won’t work in XP.

i know kamikazee, but he also said “if you are using anything other than Win95 then newer versions are perfectly stable,” which is wrong, especially since i experienced problems myself firsthand. i’m stating that it doesn’t matter which windows u use, anything other than 4.60 is a potential source of problems.

so 4.60 is the way to go?

I am using WinXP PRO and mainly use Nero 6 and CLoneCD. Would it make a difference?

If you don’t experience any problems with your existing aspi layer, there is no reason to switch.

wat happens if you get told to update before you can flash?

Originally posted by Black Diamond
My trusty TEAC SCSI burnt some 5000 odd cds under 98SE and some 2000 since I upgraded to Win2000.

I have one of those old SCSI Teacs, and that burns with anything.
It works perfectly fine with the old old ASPI files that Windows98 brings, that are reported as “BAD ASPI” by Adaptec’s ASPICheck.

I am using WinXP PRO and mainly use Nero 6

You don’t need to install ASPI drivers to use Nero. Nero installs its own version.

4.60 is the most compatible version and I haven’t heard anyone complaing about problems caused by ASPI 4.60.
ASPI 4.7x causes more headaches.

Adaptec’s ASPI is written for Adaptec products. Microsoft licenced ASPI for Win9x but along the way they got into a fight and Microsoft did not include updates in the software. This nonsense continues as WinXP with its SCSI Passthrough Interface (SPTI) written by that wretched mob themselves.

While the Win9x licencing issue bubbled along, Adaptec restricted the ASPI d/l to computers with an Adaptec product installed. After MS wrote and disributed their SPTI, Adaptec then made their ASPI d/l freely available again. The only reason one needs to use ForceASPI is to go back to 4.60. All the warnings on the Adaptec site are ‘licencing’-related nonsense, designed to scare the casual observer away.

The main issue with ASPI is installing it if you don’t have an Adaptec product. I think the only software application that needs it now is DiscDump. burnatonce is now over it and so are many other apps. Don’t install it if you don’t need it! By itself it does nothing, except introduce potential instability issues.

Win95 was basically a GIU for DOS are there are deeper issues related to SCSI products than just ASPI version numbers.

The 4.7x versions were written for WinXP are designed quite differently from 4.57 and 4.60. For some reason 4.60 is perfect for XP if you need it for 3rd party software but don’t have an Adaptec product! We have a mission-critical mini-LAN at work with Adaptec SCSI Ultra320 cards and XP Pro. v-4.7x sucked so hard we resorted to ForceASPI for v-4.60 and couldn’t be happier.

If you checkout the ASPI links in the CloneCD Down & Dirty thread, the full messy story is available.