Aspect Ratio

vbimport

Hi, I know this question has probably been asked before but I can’t find it so I’m starting a new thread.

Just wondering, the DVD I’m trying to copy is in widescreen format and when I copy it it turns into full screen, is there anyway to fix this? I can’t seen find an options window to adjust it…

Thanks

laura1984,
There is no way that CloneDVD can be changing a WS aspect ratio to a square FS ratio. This can, realistically, only be done by the DVD authoring company that made the DVD via a long and expensive process called Pan and Scan.

So either there were two versions of the movie on the DVD original and you chose the wrong one to copy or both versions are on your backup but you didn’t choose the WS version to play from your DVD player.

Or, also likely, your DVD player or TV settings are not set correctly to play WS.

Whisperer

I have a question. Hope some one out there has the answer.

I have a 16:9 sequence in Final Cut Pro and exported the whole thing to an MPG2 using Compressor. I opened the exported MPG2 file to make sure that it was 16:9 and it looks good.

When I droped the MPG2 file into DVD Studio Pro it looks perfect as well. now, I want this video to look full screen on a 16:9 TV and I want it to be letter boxed so I choosed the option 16:9 Letterbox.

When I play the DVD on a 4:3 TV it looks perfect but when I play it on a 16:9 TV the video shows 4:3. If I set the 16:9 TV to 16:9 he image is letterboxed and streched ti fill the sides and if I select 4:3 the image looks perfect but I have the sides with black plus letterbox.

Do anyoone know whats the reason why this is happening?

Thanks a lot,

Edgar M

When you play movie on wide screen at 16:9, is the picture distorted or do you just see black bars on top and bottom?
If no distortion is seen , only black bars, than movie was shut in different aspect ratio than 1.78. Most movies are anywhere between 1.8 to 2.2 ratio, but marked as 16:9 wide angle.

Hi… I’m new… I just started using AnyDvd/CloneDVD and ran into a issue with Aspect Ration. Took me a bit but figured out what it’s doing but don’t know how to fix it. The DVD is 4:3 Aspect Ratio and everything copies just fine but when I put the original into my DVD player my TV automatically adjusts it to a 16:9 aspect ratio… but when I put in the copy version it plays but my TV will not allow me to push it over to a 16:9 so some how it’s locked into this format. I have seen this before on other DVDs so it must be some setting. Does anyone know how to unlock the format or whatever? Thanks

It is not very clear what you are asking. Is your TV a wide screen or regular?
If DVD is really 4:3, than it will cover full screen on 16:9 or 4:3 TV. It may have black bars on side if played on 16:9 TV or it could be stretched to cover full screen.
It cannot be displayed as wide screen(letterboxed) on 4:3, because original is not wide screen.

My TV is 16:9. Orig DVD is 4:3 and my TV will stretch it to16:9 automatically. On the copy my TV will not allow me to change from 4:3 to 16:9 (stretched). Something in the copy ??encoding?? is locking the format to 4:3. Hope that helps some. Thanks

I do not use CloneDVD, so this is just a suggestion.
It looks like it does not copy proper flags.
You will have to check settings and see what options you have.
Is your TV set to Automatic or one of the formats for projection?

My TV is setup to automatically adjust per my preference to 16:9 but I also can try to over ride it to Zoom, Full, WideZoom etc. but the copy will not allow this.

My TV is similar.
I would say, check setting options and see if you can find Pan and Scan there.
It looks like Clone is placing some hard setting flag on Title.

[QUOTE=CDuncle;2172443]When you play movie on wide screen at 16:9, is the picture distorted or do you just see black bars on top and bottom?
If no distortion is seen , only black bars, than movie was shut in different aspect ratio than 1.78. Most movies are anywhere between 1.8 to 2.2 ratio, but marked as 16:9 wide angle.[/QUOTE]

Is this the reason that I see different size black bars on top and bottom on normal TV with aspect ratio 4:3 both on DVD and TV?

Yes. Most wide screen movies are set to “letterbox” which will show with black top, bottom bars on 4:3 TV set.