Asking after reading for 3 days, which dvdrw + enclosure + some other stuffs

So I’ve been reading for the past 3 days and I think I can warrant a question now :o I’m using a DVR-109 but I’ve been reading that it isn’t such a good drive so I’m thinking about selling it and getting another one to burn/scan/rip/backup my dvd/games collection. From reading many of the stickies it would seem that the BenQ 1640 would be the way to go for internal. I don’t have a lot of cash, being a student, to afford something in the range of an LG so it’s out of my price range. ($50 shipped max is probably my ceiling after I sell the 109) I have also looked into the big enclosure thread but to no avail and I’ve also read in the BenQ and Pioneer forums but still have not found a good answer to my questions.

I’m hoping to use this, or any burner, in an external enclosure because I only have a SFF PC (Shuttle SN25P). I can use either 1394a and usb2. I’ve also read that Prolific’s B and C’s aren’t compatible but some people have it working nicely together so it’s a throw up on that. I’m looking into a Plumax USB2/1394 Combo Enclosure but that one has a prolific chipset and they have one that offers an oxford 911 but it’s $10 more, oddly enough. On to my requirements list:

What I don’t need/care/use ATM:

1. DL capabilities: its just nice to have in case the media gets cheap enough or I start making more money :wink:

2. Burn Speed: I only have TYG02’s that are 8x rated but burn at 12x on my current 109. I don’t mind sitting there for a few extra seconds/minutes at 8x burns. I’ll be burning +R’s for my DVD backups and -R’s will only be for data backup’s

What I do need/want/use for the burner/enclosure combo are as follows:

1. Decent rip speeds: 8x/12x (?) I don’t want to sit there for hours on end trying to rip a movie or files from a game.

2. Ability to backup my copyrighted dvd/games with minimal headaches. I was thinking about purchaseing DVDReMake in combo with (i forget the other program ATM) and using that to back up my DVD’s (or anything else that is relatively simple to use) and if anyone can recommend me a good program to back up copy protected games.

added
3) Bitsetting out of the box

1. Good error detection

:doh: I thought I had more things in my head but I guess not. If I think of anything more I can add on while I reply to anyone’s replies.