Ask your questions - CD Freaks Interviews Digital Storage Reps

CD Freaks Interviews Digital Storage Reps.

Have you ever wondered what your favorite company is up to? Would you like to know more about their decisions, (new) products and background information? Now you can! CD Freaks is organizing a series of interviews with digital storage related persons. The coming time we will ask them what you want to know!

Question indications

Here some examples of types of questions you could ask:

[ul]
[li] Current products
[/li][li] New products
[/li][li] Company information
[/li][li] Market details / outlook
[/li][li] Future opportunities
[/li][li] Personal questions for the person
[/li][/ul]

What’s next?

This week we will ask questions to Jelmer Veldman, Marketing Manager from PLDS ( Philips & Lite - On Digital Solutions ) Lite-On Group.

Please post your questions below in this thread. Next week, all questions will be collected. We pick the best ones and report the answers back on CD Freaks.com!

My questions:

1. Brings Lite-On a multifomatburner with HD-DVD + Blue-Ray and DVD out ?
  2. 12x or 16x DL burn speed to the next DVD Burner ?

Hello Jelmer and welcome to CDFreaks.

1. Does your company view the DVDR market (hardware) as something that is worthy of continued R&D investment?

2. Do you think there would be a market for a high end, high spec burner, built to Pro or Industrial standards, for the truly obsessed?

Thanks for your time.

Do you visit forums about optical storage, like cdfreaks?

Are there any thoughts on leaving Mediatek for using your own (Philips) chipset on new products?

Many people have reported that they manage to buy Lite-On branded BenQ 1650 drives, but Lite-On support is not aware of the drive. Why is that?

What do you think will be the flagstaff model (company) that all other drive companies will follow? Maybe something new regarding the tech. side of future burners in general. Thanks.

Are there any plans to realease BD/HD DVD/DVD/CD combo drives in the near future?

Regarding BD vs. HD DVD, where is PLDS located in this war and who do you think will finally succeed?

There have been numerous problems burning to dual layer disks using current dvd burners. It has been suggested that the inverted stack dual layer disks do not have adequate support in the firmware. Has this been recognized by your company as an ongoing problem? Are there solutions forthcoming? Or do you believe the inverted stack media itself is the major contributor to this situation?

Philips Streamium SLM5500

In the Philips Streamium Cafe web forum the support you provide your customers is very poor indeed.

Are Philips committed to supporting this product or not? MY own experience has been truly dreadful since buying this device which is still on sale.

My concerns are more around future products as well becasue if you do not support this product fully why would anyone buy any of your digital products?

PLDS are manufacturing many drives for OEM customers, the new Optiarc 20x burner springs to mind.
Is this something that PLDS hope to continue?

I like much LiteOn, very good firmware support, drives with very good reading ability and very good burners. I’d like to see a better customers service and drives with a better drawer mechanism.
Is there the possibility to improve these things?

Not really an absolute must, but I’m sure that many people will agree with me.

Is it possible to introduce again a multicolor led in burners? I remember some “ancient” models with a red led when burning and a green one when reading. My (still working) 811 shows also a yellow light when the burning process is interrupted because of buffer emptying.

Even if this is not something really indispensable, I miss this feature.

TIA :slight_smile:

well, first of all, thanx for the time and care from both Mr. Veldman and CDFreaks Admins/Mods/reviewers/interviewers :bow:

and i have this only one marketing question:

1. about your policies in the Middle east, it’s almost impossible to find a Lite-ON, Philips or BenQ drive, the case is still the same since 2003, in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and the UAE for my knowledge, it’s only a matter of luck for us to find any of your products, though it’s almost well-known now that your burners are among the best drievs at all…

any plans to improve and support the Middle Eastern markets?

and thanx for your time :slight_smile:

First off, Lite-On has come a long way since first introducing itself to the world. Watching a company climb up the channel from 2nd or 3rd tier distribution says alot.

Some of the previous posts inquire on your position with a dual burner. We here are sure this will run parallel with disc manufacturers, CMC and Ritek, lack of commitment to back either format. We can agree this will “slow” the process.

Our question: at the current pace, China’s influence in introducing a NEW format is not far off. Is this something we should be aware of?

when will the minute long leading be fixed?

[QUOTE=headquarter84;1930186]well, first of all, thanx for the time and care from both Mr. Veldman and CDFreaks Admins/Mods/reviewers/interviewers :bow:

and i have this only one marketing question:

1. about your policies in the Middle east, it’s almost impossible to find a Lite-ON, Philips or BenQ drive, the case is still the same since 2003, in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and the UAE for my knowledge, it’s only a matter of luck for us to find any of your products, though it’s almost well-known now that your burners are among the best drievs at all…

any plans to improve and support the Middle Eastern markets?

and thanx for your time :)[/QUOTE]Yes i feel for you guys/gals and hope this will get some attention.

1. When will PLDS release a 20x or above speed DVD Writer with Nexperia Chipset?
  2. BD/HD DVD/DVD multiwriter near future?

When will Lite-on drop mediatek chipset and start using the superior Nexperia chips?

When will Lite-on hire someone that can finally design a decent face plate?

Why did Lite-on released 3 series of burners now with same specss?

When will Lite-on release BD/HD-DVD burner that is competitle to new LG H20 series drives both in price and performance?

[QUOTE=rolling56;1930691]Yes i feel for you guys/gals and hope this will get some attention.[/QUOTE]

hats off!! :flower::flower:

As many people have already asked… Why doesn’t LiteON use the Philips Nexperia chipset instead of Mediatek? With the superior chipset, LiteON could develop a burner that would be able to rival the likes of Pioneer.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

Another good question is, why can’t Lite-on rival Samsung mediatek based burner?