Ask, Conduit and Mindspring most deleted toolbars

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Ask, Conduit and Mindspring most deleted toolbars[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/07/myce-ask-toolbar-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Millions of internet users have once had the joy of having toolbar installed, usually against their will. Czech antivirus company Avast recently reported that it has removed 650 million toolbars and other extensions that change browser settings in the last two years.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/ask-conduit-and-mindspring-most-deleted-toolbars-76652/](http://www.myce.com/news/ask-conduit-and-mindspring-most-deleted-toolbars-76652/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I’ve been a victim of Conduit myself before. After going through hell to remove the settings it left in my Firefox profile, I eventually decided to install an addon to help protect myself from this bs in the first place: BrowserProtect. This prevents malicous addons from hijacking the homepage, search engine, etc. If something, e.g. you search engine, is changed, it will warn you, and let you keep or block said change.

Anyway, IMHO these toolbars should be illegal, assuming they are not already. At the very least, they should be opt-in instead of opt-out.

I have people bring me computers that a slow and I have found 15 to 20 toolbars on a lot of them. people do not read what it says when downloading programs

[QUOTE=samlar;2757058]I have people bring me computers that a slow and I have found 15 to 20 toolbars on a lot of them. people do not read what it says when downloading programs[/QUOTE]

No, it’s they aren’t taking the time to “Custom Install” or choose “What to install” options that’s why they are getting hammered by these stealth wares…that is what is happening. If you train the users they will know better by the end of the day to know better nothing is free from the internet…

I recently updated MediaInfo which many of us here use.
I still says in the EULA that it has “Open Candy” but there was no custom install in the new version.
I ran MBAM on the install.exe & it found “Open Candy” .
Letting MBAM remove it removed the install.exe entirely.
I donnloaded it again & MBAM still found the “Open Candy” but I didn’t let it remove it.
I did the install which offered no custom option.
I then ran a OS scan with MBAM & nothing found.
I wonder if my hosts file blocked the “Open Candy” in the install some way.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2757069]No, it’s they aren’t taking the time to “Custom Install” or choose “What to install” options that’s why they are getting hammered by these stealth wares…that is what is happening. If you train the users they will know better by the end of the day to know better nothing is free from the internet…[/QUOTE]

Does not do any good to try and train them they seem to never remember how to do it.
I have show more than one how to do custom install and also how to go to control panel and programs and remove the toolbars but they seem to forget how to do it. I also show them how to run there antivirus, ccleaner and Malwarebytes but they will bring them back to me months later and I find they never have run any of them. To many people are still the type that need something that they just turn on and it works. They also cannot seem to remember how to use there smart TVS either.

People are going to learn that they have to use there brain at home also.