Asio4all

Does the program improve audio playback (from CDs, Hard drive etc…)? Or is it only for sound engineers?

Transferring to the Audio forum…

ASIO4ALL

Site: http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asio4all/intro.html

:cool: :cool:

Wikipedia says

ASIO provides for the needs of musicians and sound engineers.

So does that mean if you are not going to mix sounds you don’t need the ASIO4all?

Since you have a Audigy 2 ZS sound card, you do not need it.

http://www.soundblaster.com/resources/read.asp?articleid=53937&cat=2

Thanks! That’s good to know.

And another question:

What is special about the CL X-Fi series of cards? What is unique about them over the audigy? Like they say the Extreme Audio isn’t a real XFi.

Since I’m upgrading from the altec lansing vs4121 to a logitech z2300, would it make a difference if I also upgrade the soundcard from audigy2zs to the XI-Extreme Music? (ie. I only listen to music and play games and watch movies with them, no professional sound engineering).

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

Since you are going from Altec Lansing VS4121 to a Logitech Z2300, this alone you will see a huge difference.

Altec Lansing VS4121

Total RMS is 31 Watts
6 Watts per speaker
19 Watts Sub

Logitech Z2300

Total RMS is 200 Watts
40 Watts per speaker
120 Watts Sub

In a general answer, the X-Fi is a better sound card then the Audigy. You now have to ask yourself is the extra cost worth it?

Here was a review done by Extremetech. The review is from 2005 but it gives you a bases to help you make a decision.

I’m putting a X-Fi card in my new build. I got a feeling it’s gonna sound killer with my Klipsch.

Yes, I have looked a lot of those reviews, so I want to know, how much noticeable difference in sound quality does all of the “technical” improvements make? Like theoretically looking at the specs the Xfi is much more advanced, but when you actually put them into practical use what does that all translate to? And another thing is that I don’t do mixing or other kinds of engineering/editing with audio. I just listen to already recorded stuff.

And the question about the speaker, for the price range (ie. ~$100) the logitech z2300 is the best 2.1 system there is around right? Like nothing in the same class can beat it right? Because there is the Creative I trigue L3800 or the Altec lansing FX4021. So is the logitech the best in terms of sound quality or is it just the wattage or going very loud? Because I usually don’t play music that loud. I read that the Z2300 don’t have the “tweeters” in their satellites, does that diminish the sound quality?

Thanks again. :slight_smile:

In a nutshell the difference in minimal. I would stay with your Audigy and purchase the Z2300. The Z2300 have a polished aluminum phase plug at the center of the driver and it outperforms conventional 2-way designs as you would know it.

Again there is no comparsion.

Altec lansing FX4021

Total RMS is 46 Watts
11 Watts per speaker
24 Watt Sub

Creative I-Trigue L3800

Total RMS is 58 Watts
9 Watts per speaker
30 Watt Sub

Altec Lansing VS4121

Total RMS is 31 Watts
6 Watts per speaker
19 Watts Sub

Logitech Z2300

Total RMS is 200 Watts
40 Watts per speaker
120 Watts Sub

The ability to have sound quality and performance and at high volumes with no distortion ( If you want it ) is the thing that you will love about these speakers. This is one benefit of having lots of power. The price is right. If you were disappointed with Altec Lansing VS4121, you would not be any happier with the other choices, they are just under powered. This is just my opinion, but I think that you would be very happy camper once you hookup these especially if your budget is limited.

[B]The Z2300 have a [B]polished aluminum phase plug[/B] at the center of the driver and it outperforms conventional 2-way designs as you would know it.[/B]

What does that do? So the other speakers don’t have it?

The others did not go this route.

In a nutshell, this is what creative claims are the benfits

Phase plugs in fancy hi-fi drivers are there partly to reduce the mass of the diaphragm assembly, partly to reduce distortion caused by non-linear movement of hybrid cone/hemisphere diaphragms, partly to help the magnet assembly stay cool, and partly to keep the motor assembly’s magnetic field where it’s meant to be and give you clarity of a tweeter with the richness and fullness of a separate mid-range and high-end tones.

So,

Better Sound Distribution

The phase plug provides the highest high tone in one source, one location, since it amends sound distribution in the driver cone shape to avoid crossovers.

Better Voice Range Clarity

Each phase plug replaces a dust cap, and eliminating air compression under dust caps provides a boost in terms of voice range clarity.

Better Dynamic range

The phase plug’s open air gap provides a quicker response to level changes than a dust cap. As the increased airflow improves cooling, the speakers are also able to support more power.

There are other speakers companys that uses this phase plug. IE: JBL

It’s just choice. If it matters, I am running an Audigy 2zs sound card with Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Digital speakers and I am impressed.

its really hard to tell which is best as the companies make spks targeted for masses and so they give very scarce specs. on z2300 u have a pretty good signal to noise ratio which may stand for higher q. components used. in practice or rather theory, at 100db u wont hear any noise /hiss/ coming from speakers themselves.
as for 1 or 2 drivers per satellite there is hardly any comparison possible. look at the s e r i o u s home theater speakers and notice how they all use mid-range and twitters plus a bass driver in the same case. if smb still not convinced do a comparison between car speakers and notice how freq. range changes based on drivers.
so, from what they provide for the price i would prob go for z and later would upgrade satellites to 2 way speakers.

http://kenwood.ca/Dealers/Ce1/flyers/2005_Speakers.pdf

So the Z-2300 not having the tweeters and less midranged drivers means that it will have poor sound quality right? I’m now deciding that I want the L-3800, 3 drivers per satellite vs 1 for the logitech. So does anyone here think that the L3800 has any particular problems?

No, thats incorrect. The phase plug is different driver technology to accomplish the same goal.

Most reviews will tell you that the Creative I-Trigue L3800 are under powered.

Example: http://reviews.cnet.com/pc-speakers/creative-i-trigue-l3800/4505-3179_7-31575543.html

yep. there is no hi-fi unless u get smb sing for ya :wink:

so i am leaning towards z being lesser of two evils. …or go that clipshhchshc. :bigsmile: