Artifacts/glitches in copy with Nforce2 mobo

I have built 2 different machines with the same model mobo (Abit NF7-S rev 2.0) and had the same exact results with both using AnyDVD/CloneDVD. The copy has artifacts and/or glitches every couple minutes, always in the same place each attempt. I tried using AnyDVD in Safe Mode, also burning at 1x w/ CloneDVD but no luck. CloneDVD 1.3.11.2/AnyDVD 3.2.1.1

I had the same results using DVD Shrink/CloneDVD.

Had the same results with any movie I try to copy…all region 1 US/CANADA.

The only way I have been able to avoid this is to use DVD Shrink/CopyToDVD. I would much rather use CloneDVD/AnyDVD instead. Has anyone heard of this with Nforce2 chipset boards before? Hopefully there’s something simple I can disable to make this work.

Here’s some more details of the setups:

machine 1:
NF7-S rev.2.0
barton 2600+
2x256mb pc3200 dual channel
sony dru500a 2.0g
btc dvd/cdrw combo
AnyDVD 3007/CloneDVD 1.3.11.2

machine 2:
NF7-S rev.2.0
barton 2500+
512mb pc3500
sony dru510a 1.0d
liteon/JLMS XJ-HD166S ds1a
AnyDVD 3211/CloneDVD 1.3.11.2

edit: I have to add that with my previous setup on a kt333 board I had absolutely no issues like this with the same optical drives etc.

any help would be appreciated. thanks

It’s highly unlikely to be the hardware.

From your notes I infer that your problem arises when using CloneDVD to do the burning. Is that right?

I suggest trying a different burning program: doesn’t CopyToDVD work in a stand-alone mode? If so, try CloneDVD in ‘create files’ mode and then start up CopyToDVD and burn them with that. Exercise great care if the thought of using Nero crossed your mind…

Finally, what’s your choice of media? Just to ensure that you’re playing on an even field, get some Ritek G4s for your tests.

Good luck!:slight_smile:

-Pete

I only know of problems with Nforc2 boards if the Nvidia drivers are installed. But not with the quality of the copy. They often cause write errors and freezes. Since I use standard Microsoft drivers, my problems are gone.:smiley:

Yes Peter, the problem arises while using CloneDVD to burn the files. I’m not sure I know how to use CloneDVD in “creat files mode” can you explain that to me please?

CopyToDVD works great but I haven’t figured out how to remove the extras while using DVDShrink 3.0 beta.

I’m using either 2x Ritek -R or 4x Memorex +R both of which I have absolutely no problems with.

Schnauze,
that’s a thought. I have the drivers that came with the board’s driver disc. I like the Nforce control panel that sits in the task bar. I’ll try removing this and see if it helps. (I wish I had an RW disc) lol

btw, this board is sweet…running at 225fsb (9.5x225) with Corsair pc3500 XMS :smiley: I just wish I could figure out this little issue.

thanks for the advice guys.

When you get to the ‘Output Method’ in CloneDVD you’ll see three buttons at top right. They are labelled: ‘DVD files’, ‘ISO/UDF image’ and ‘DVD writer’. If you click ‘DVD files’, you’ll be able to send CloneDVD’s output to a folder on your hard drive. From there, you can use the burning software of your choice (CopyToDVD?) to burn the disc.

-Pete

Originally posted by Peter McCall
[B]When you get to the ‘Output Method’ in CloneDVD you’ll see three buttons at top right. They are labelled: ‘DVD files’, ‘ISO/UDF image’ and ‘DVD writer’. If you click ‘DVD files’, you’ll be able to send CloneDVD’s output to a folder on your hard drive. From there, you can use the burning software of your choice (CopyToDVD?) to burn the disc.

-Pete [/B]

Yes, thanks that works fine. I ripped it w/ AnyDVD/CloneDVD and burned it with CopyToDVD and that worked just great.

hmmm sure wish I knew what was causing this.

I have the same board. Just without the ‘s’. Please give feedback if it were the drivers.

Originally posted by Schnauze
I have the same board. Just without the ‘s’. Please give feedback if it were the drivers.

I haven’t removed any of the drivers but I stopped the Nforce control panel from running in the task bar… that did nothing to help.

I’m just going to rip with CloneDVD and burn with CopyToDVD. that is working perfectly.

You say you are only using the standard MS drivers…does that mean you never even put in the mobo’s driver disc? Only getting the MS updates etc. (I’m running XP Pro sp1)

thnx.

I use nForce drivers and have had no trouble although there are many reports to the contrary. I am sure it’s a case of installing properly and using the latest drivers which are not that old.

Version: 3.13 Release Date: November 3, 2003

If you have previously downloaded the 2.41 or 2.42 nForce kits and have experienced any problems please follow these instructions on how to re-install previous drivers.

Futureproof,
Are you saying I should be using the 3.13 drivers? and how do I check what version I have?

thanks.

p.s. I’m up to date as far as the windows updates go if that’s any information.

here’s my current setup:

Abit NF7-S rev.2.0
Barton 2500+ @ 2142 (225x9.5) watercooled
1x512mb Corsair XMS pc3500 c2
WD 160gb hdd IDE
gf3 ti500 watercooled
Sony DRU510a
JLMS 16x dvd rom (LiteOn)
LiteOn 48x cdrw
420w psu

I installed the 3.13 drivers and that didn’t solve the problem. :confused:

:bigsmile:

btw, this board is sweet…running at 225fsb (9.5x225) with Corsair pc3500 XMS I just wish I could figure out this little issue.

Maybe this is the problem!

I have Nforce2 also, no problems, Barton 2800 at reasonable fsb 170 for a 166fsb cpu.

Originally posted by Yuyito
[B]:bigsmile:

Maybe this is the problem!

I have Nforce2 also, no problems, Barton 2800 at reasonable fsb 170 for a 166fsb cpu. [/B]

Nope, it does it at stock speeds also. I have no idea why this happens. I am stuck burning with CopyToDVD instead of Clone.
:frowning:

Hi All,

I am having the exact same problem and are currently troubleshooting the cause.

At the moment I am actually thinking CloneDVD is the problem. I am running CloneDVD 1.3.11.2 and the last 8 DVD’s I burnt have this issue. Prior to that I was running CloneDVD v1.2.8.4 and burnt over 100 DVD’s without a problem (all on the same media).

The only thing that complicates my troubleshooting is that I reinstalled Windows XP at the time I upgraded CloneDVD - so I am have introduced another issue. Also, interestingly I also upgraded to a nForce2 m/b (A7N8X_Deluxe)

I am going to try downgrading CloneDVD now and running a test DVD. Given the failure is constant (it happens EVERY time now) I will know fairly quickly if this is the issue.

If not, I will play around with nForce drivers like some of you have suggested.

I will post my result a.s.a.p.

Results look promising!

I uninstalled CloneDVD 1.3.11.2, then installed CloneDVD v1.2.8.4. My first burn has completed, and the first 10 minutes of the movie have not showns signs of the problem!

Given the last 8 burns all have the same problem and all have shown the problem in the first 2-3 minutes I would say there is a good chance there is a problem with CloneDVD 1.3.11.2.

Oh, and yes, I used the exact same media and no other system changes have been made (I didn’t even reboot).

The only way to be 100% sure is to burn another DVD, it is happening now. Again, I will post my results.

Thanks

junglemaster,

This is very promising indeed. I hope it’s as simple as going back to an older version of CloneDVD. Please post results when you get them.

As with your problems, it was happening with my copies every time and always within the first few minutes of playback.

thanks!

That appears to be the problem. I removed 1.3.11.2 and deleted the whole folder it was in. Installed 1.2.8.4 and it worked fine. I burned an old image that I already had on my hdd since it was giving me bad copies with 1.3.11.2. I would always get the same artifacts in the exact same place, this time there was no artifacts at all!!! (I didn’t watch the whole movie but these artifacts reproduced themselves EVERY time w/ 1.3.11.2)

I’m going to burn another different movie from my hdd files and see how that goes.

I also wonder if 1.3.9.8 or 1.3.10 will be any good. I’d like to use the most current version as possible…but this is still great news for us with problems using nForce2 boards.

Yep, consider this confirmation. My second burn works perfectly!

Good point about what version broke, but for now I will stick with 1.2.8.4 - I have enough coasters :slight_smile:

kenrippy,

Please post your results anyway so we can be sure it wasn’t a fluke.

Just burned my second movie from old hdd images that produced bad copies w/ 1.3.11.2 and this worked perfectly also.

junglemaster your theory was right on. I’m glad I checked this post tonight! Thank You!

Wonder what the Elby people have to say about this issue, now that we have made some progress in identifying the problem…or at least which version it happens with.

Excellent!

If anyone bothers to speak to Elby about this post and let us all know.

For now I am just happy to be operational again.

Thanks for your help.

David.