Artec Drives 2 sheep

vbimport

Hi all,

I’m looking to buy a new CD-RW as my Ricoh Combo 9060 is getting a bit knackered (won’t pick up the disc without a reboot!).

The Artec WRR-52Z is cheap, but I don’t know if it is as good as a LiteOn one which will be about £10 more. Does anybody know if the Artec one is a “2 sheep” recorder, and whether it can handle SafeDisc 2.8xx or more? I’ve checked out the CloneCD website and it aint on there, but it is on the Alcohol 120% site - it says it supports RAW DAO+96, but it needs correct EFM-encoding or something as well doesn’t it?

Well, if anybody has any idea then please let me know, or I might just buy it anyway and find out!

Cheers,

madbilly

Just to be sure I’d pay the extra £10 and get the LiteON drive.

Don’t take the chance with an Artec. Also look at the ASUS CRW-4812A or 4816A

Also look at the ASUS CRW-4812A or 4816A

4812A? or 4824A?

…depends how much CD-RW media you use I suppose. Or whether you just need to go cheap. I have the 4812A and it’s fine

no…sorry

I just went into the Asus website, and found no 4812A there…and also to firmware-flash site, no firmware for 4812A (just want to try to OC my 4012A)

thanks for the info

Hey all,

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I probably will get the LiteOn drive, but I am currently trying to get Ultima/Artec to test their drive with the “Sheep Test” to see what mark it gets. If they say it gets two sheep then I’ll probably get the Artec drive, as I’m a poor student on a budget! On the other hand, they could be lying…

On another note, I asked Samsung about their SM-348B combo drive, and they said it doesn’t support correct EFM-encoding, so at least they’re being honest.

Cheers,

madbillsta

Originally posted by madbilly
[B]…but I am currently trying to get Ultima/Artec to test their drive with the “Sheep Test” to see what mark it gets. …

On another note, I asked Samsung about their SM-348B combo drive, and they said it doesn’t support correct EFM-encoding, so at least they’re being honest.[/B]
Very cool info - thanks for that!

FutureProof,

Are You sure that there is 4812A? none on the Asus website though.
but yes I saw a pic that shows a drive with Asus brand and 48x12x48…

Funny ain’t it?:bigsmile:

Originally posted by DimeDeviL
[B]FutureProof,

Are You sure that there is 4812A?
Funny ain’t it?:bigsmile: [/B]
Not really, maybe 12x was planned but the controller came with 16x

I’ve PMed Paranoid, and he said he never heard 4812A. well I guess I’m just waiting for someone answer my post on Firmware section… :rolleyes:

Okay, here’s the furthest I got with Artec.

Apparently they have submitted their latest drives to CloneCD for testing, but CloneCD haven’t put the results up yet, nor will they tell me via email - so no help at all then!

Also, I pointed the support staff representative (actually a really helpful one - very keen) to the sheep score tester in “Test your writers sheep score” forum thread. After a few weeks of me trying to help them understand how to run the tests, they decided that they didn’t really have the time at the moment to do the tests, bgut if they had a chance ion the future they would let me know the results.

Basically, I didn’t get any info, not for want of trying!

So, I’ve still got to decide what drives to get - I need a reader and a writer. The writer is basically going to be either a Lite-On, LG, Asus, or (possibly) a Plextor. Which do you lot think is the best and why? Bearing in mind that sheepness is a BIG factor in my decision, as is cost, so that may rule out a Plextor all together.

Which is the best DVD-ROM drive to get? Are Toshiba the best? What about Pioneer slot models? How about the Lite-On ones? Does it make a difference when backing up SD2.xxx CDs what the reader drive is?

Your views and opinions are definitely appreciated :o)

Cheers,

Will

Oops, forgot to ask -

Combo drives - blessing or not? I read a review of an LG one (I think, could have been Lite-On) and it said that it couldn’t read subchannel data. Obviously this would be totally crap.

Any opinions on them then? The two I am looking at ate the latest LG and Lite-On ones.

you can use the Lite-on for reading and writing of you don’t have that much money.

Toshiba drives are very good in reading.

The help file in the latest CloneCD says it’s two sheep.
EDIT>>Whoops. Sorry, wrong. It doesn’t even list it.

I’d advise U to bye the lite on or the Asus model.As a technician i have seen a lot of artec 48/12/48 to be returned as faulty in the first year.For the 48/24/48 model I have’t see sthing yet like that but how much will be the difference between these 2 models?DON’t rick it.