Armorall applied to CD's & DVD's make them read with less errors?

vbimport

Way back when MUSIC CD’s were new (in the 1980’s!!!) I remember reading some articles or reader letters or whatever, (again, this is way before CD Burners and the general public had access to the Internet), that people reported that treating the media side of a CD with ArmorAll (or any ArmorAll type product) would make the CD’s sound “LOUDER” or “clearer”, or “read with less skips”.

Again, this was the early to mid 80’s so forgive me if I don’t remember word for word what was said.

Anyway, the first reaction was that this is some kind of “snake oil” type of comment.

BUT THEN, people started talking about it, and there seemed to be some logic behind this concept.

CD’s (and later DVD’s) are OPTICAL drives, and depend on light for reading the data, and ArmorAll makes whatever you apply it on, shinier, so this might make some sense.

Anyway, fast forward to present, and I am researching what DVD reader to go along with my BenQ Burner, and I am reading the Aopen 1648 Pro, and the thread showed some graphs, some with errors and some without, and my subconcious mind udders, “Shoulda used ArmorAll on those CD’s that had errors”, and then I just sat there for a second, remembering the whole “Shiny CD adding ArmorAll” concept, and wondered whatever happened to that.

I did a search on ArmorAll at CDfreaks, and nothing came up, so I thought I would ask the question again.

So, has anyone tried it on a CD or DVD and did a “before and after” test?

Has anyone tried it on a Scrached CD or DVD?

Pure BS. You can put it in there with Shakti Stones, the Bedini Clarifier and green pens.
If you want to put something on your CD/DVD, try Windex (non-ammonia) and a soft cloth.

Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; truth isn’t. - Mark Twain

I tried it a while back on a damaged DVD with no luck, I also tried brasso and a blue pen.

After nothing worked, and I realized I had spent the better part of a day working on it, I just said “to hell with it” and got another copy.

When that oil (armor-all ) gets hot in a player/burner it gets some on the lens, pretty soon the player/burner won’t be able to read or burn discs due to the distortion caused by the oil film on the lens. If you must use something use Stiensons(SP) plexa glass cleaner and polish. Make sure IT is wiped off real good.

Armor All is not an oil, it is a polymer. You shouldn’t put anything on the surface of the disc exposed to the laser, unless you want to possibly spend some money to replace your burner.

What ever it is it does get on the lens.

Armorall on media…ROFL… everbody knows premium turtle wax works best…snicker… what next someone going to advise using white out to correct disk errors?

The following site reports that a lot of such treatments for CD’s is “snake oil”:

Footnote 5: There is evidence that Armor All applied to CDs can have serious side effects, including attacking the polycarbonate and fogging the laser lens. (See “Letters” and “The Audio Anarchist” in this issue.) I therefore discourage treating CDs with Armor All.—Robert Harley
Footnote 6: See “Industry Update” in Vol

The following site describes how to repair scratched CD’s:

You can also buy several types of CD Repair Kits by Maxell, Fellowes, Memorex, and others either on-line, or at Staples, Office Depot, Best Buy, etc.