Armadillo FOREVER!

well did that get your attention?

Im hoping more gaming companies wise up and start to use anti-crack executable protection like armadillo than using stupid burning techniques such as safedisk securerom etc. to protect thier programs. Dont they relieze its not the persons who copy cds that are the problem its the persons and sites out there with cracked cd executables that are the problem (yes gamecopyworld is a prime example). we dont distribute any game on the net or sell it or publish cracked exes … come on game companies get with it!:a

ok now i feel better…:wink:

Dont you relieze (sic) that these guys know infinitely more about what hurts software
sales and how to handle this situation than yourself ?

Why do you think the most expensive programs are protected by hardware devices
instead of just software packers ?

regardless of what they think you got to admit that for us just protecting the exe from cracks is easier to backup.

I just dont see why they go through all the trouble of burning special ways on a cd to prevent backups when all the real pirates have to do is crack the exe…then they can make all the copies they want with the modified exe…just common sense to me.

Dont you relieze (sic) that these guys know infinitely more about what hurts software
sales and how to handle this situation than yourself ?

LOL! I work for a major software company so the answer would be NO they dont have a clue…Mr. Macrovision comes in gives the top brass a rah rah speach on how thier copy protection will make our software pirate free…etc…management is clueless in these companies. Our company doesnt even bother with physical protection we just sell corperate licenses and dont support the product if your not licensed.

as far as using physical methods we dont use it and our software sells for 5,000$ a seat. Companies used to use that method back in the 90s i remember, some prolly still do though i cant name one.

just my 2 cents from a software exec. at a unnamed company…heheont thats initials are the third and first letters of the alphabet.
:wink:

Every executable you could create, protected or not, and protected with the most powerfull encryption you could find, can be easily cracked in “real time”.
It’s just to allow the program to decryp, and dump that data, rebuild some iats and done.
Software can be easily bypassed.
As Spath stated, the way to protect a CD (and this is the way proffesional programs do) consist on an unique hardware key, like a serial port incomming.
This way is very difficult to crack because part of the code isn’t in the original data.
And for your knowledge, crackers are usually more clever and intelligent that people that program. In the other way, crackers have advantage, because they modify in real time machine code, whilst programmers, only can access low level programming and have no many possibilities for defending it’s code.
Code must be executed anyway.
The only way to protect consist in blocking the sequence…so… where is the program?..xDDDDDD

Hope explain myself.

Good luck!

Examples of preoffesional programs that uses that:
AutoCAD in all its versions (from architects to aeronautic engineer version)
Maple or Matlab
Statgraphics
3DStudio in its proffesional versions…
and a lot more…

I agree some do this…does it help id say no…i just saw a cracked version of autocad on a newsgroup the other day…so much for the hardware protection on that program.:stuck_out_tongue: I think you just proved my point…its far easier to crack the software than to copy/emulate/etc. the physical protection so thats what hackers do…hence what our software companies need to do is crack down on the hackers and pirates and leave the general law abiding public alone.

also here in the states you basically can only return a title for the same title as far as software so i dont see anyone exploiting the game dont work scam anymore.

and your right i remember the old serial protection devices you had to plug in the serial port on your pc to run the title…cant say the big commercial programs use it though such as CA (hehe) DB2, Oracle, Peoplesoft, etc.

Jamos,

You know/understand nothing about copy protections, both from technical,
philosophical and economical points of view, so I’ll just leave it here.
If you think you’re smarter than gaming companies, good for you.

Can we now come back to practical backup issues ?

Originally posted by spath
[B]Jamos,

You know/understand nothing about copy protections, both from technical,
philosophical and economical points of view, so I’ll just leave it here.
If you think you’re smarter than gaming companies, good for you.

Can we now come back to practical backup issues ? [/B]

technically you may be right Ive read your posts you very good at the technical side of protection themes, philoshphically and Economically id say not. Like I said i work for a major Software Company…we deal in million dollar software licenses so id say i may have a wee lil bit of a ecomonical view on protection and why we dont use it.

please dont judge persons you dont know…I just dont agree with your arguement thats all.

thats all i have to say on this subject…but please dont just tell someone they know nothing about something just because they dont agree with you.

OK. No disrespect here anyone. An introduction to spath can be ‘enlightening’. This is a simple, no-nonsense sub-forum. Let’s keep the technical and philosophical discussion in the Advacnced Forum where it can be argued logically and with fact.

[added]

Just so there’s no misunderstanding by people reading this thread, spath is probably peer-less (um, meaning bloody knowledgeable) on this site and not just because he’s a Moderator but for other reasons anyone caring to read his full range of posts might grasp. I’m not hinting at insider knowledge or anything fishy, he just knows this stuff backwards and is qualified to know it. His presence on this site is a priviledge for us, if you’d like to look at it that way. I know that he’s really a very congenial person :wink:

[/added]

You are automatically assuming that Armadillio would be more secure than what is already there. I am not sure that is true. No doubt if more important games / applications were Armadillo protected then there would be a generic crack released for it sooner or later.

Obviously, as a consumer, I prefer protections that let me make a working security copy of my games. If armadillo is useful to fight against piracy and the home consumer is able to make a copy, I think it is better than Safedisk, Securom and the like.

Originally posted by Dufroise
Obviously, as a consumer, I prefer protections that let me make a working security copy of my games. If armadillo is useful to fight against piracy and the home consumer is able to make a copy, I think it is better than Safedisk, Securom and the like.

I don’t think so! They will always protect games with Securom AND Armadillo = no more working backup (1:1 or cracked)!

No software-protection will ever work. Really really clever protections will, at most, only delay the cracker. As previously stated, crackers will always win.
Hardware is the only way of secure protection as it cannot be downloaded.

@morglum007: Do you mean that 3D Studio Max and AutoCAD have hardware protection? I highly doubt that as I’ve seen cracked versions of those programs on the internet…