Argh - LiteOn 40125w

vbimport

Hi guys!

I bought a LTR40125W from eBay and it arrived today :slight_smile:

Unforunately :frowning: when I plugged it in it dodn’t seem to work. The tray opened on power on and stayed there. When you closed it it immediately opened again. And again. And again. Anyway you get the picture.

I tried unplugging the IDE cable and just using the power - the same thing happened.

BIOS & Windows detect the drive and identify it correctly.

Seeing I can detect it should I upgrade to the latest Firmware (currently 03 latest 0b) on the LiteOnit.com site?

I wonder if any of you have any suggestion???
a1istair

CPU: Duron 1300
MBD: Gigabyte GA7IXE4

I guess that’s why someone was trying to get rid of it on eBay. Considering that the latest LiteOn CDRW drives cost only around $30 for a new unit, you might have been better off getting that…

If I were you, I’d try flashing the firmware and see if that helps. If it doesn’t, then I guess you’re out of luck. :sad:

I vaguely recall a tray issue on the 5-series drives with some firmware flashes.
I would be interested in knowing what the current FW is. Hope you didn’t pay more than $5 for it. :wink:

Hi.

Thanks for your response.

It origionally had 03 and now is using R40WS0B from the liteonit website.
Doesn’t seem to have made any difference though.

And don’t worry - I didn’t pay much for it. :slight_smile:

a1istair.

Sounds like a legit 40125W, I was thinking it might be a flashed 32123 burner.

it has been a while but i remember having the same issue with a 40125s… i had sprung the tray and because of where a piece was when i put it back together the tray would open as soon as it had power…

since i am burning a bunch of dvds right now i have some time i will take a pic and post it so you can see what i am talking about

ok here is the picture. on the left had side is a quarter cog directly above the LED and in my case the problem was that i sat down and the tray was extended. i hit it pretty hard and that quarter cog was not in the correct position. i messed with it until i got it where it is in the picture and then all was

Hi

The cog is fine exactly as in your photo - from the loks of it it is the emergency eject switch. Thanks for your help though.

I think it might be time to give up - What is interesting though is that when the tray is fully open the BIOS refuses to recognise the drive but when it’s in it sees it fine. Not fine enough though.

Time to cut the losses…

Cheers everyone.

a1istair