Are your old khypermedia discs still readable?

i’ve heard another person say that his 1 year old khypermedia disc is not readable anymore. He kept the cd in a cd wallet and never touched it. Why does this happen?

I just bought a cheapass pack of 40x khypermedia discs from Officemax. But really, they can barely touch 24x speeds on my 40x LiteOn burner. And still, they can’t maintain 24x, and actually dip below 12x during the last third of the disc. You can hear SmartBurn kicking in many times.

So, when I back up my mp3’s, I burn the shit at 8x speed and verify the data. But does this mean that I will have a good chance of having a disc that is readable years later? (99% of the time, I don’t ever touch the disc again after I burn the mp3s onto it. I keep them in their own jewel cases.)

I have old imation discs that I burnt at 4x 3 years ago. they seem to be good.
But I wonder about discs nowadays…

If you wish to archive files for storage, why use the cheapest media you can find? Yes, they can deteriorate over time, CMC media is noted for doing this. The first step is to scan the newly burned CDR for errors right after you burn it. (CDSpeed) If there are any errors, or the drive has to slow down to read it, toss it out. Every year you should scan them again and replace as needed. The discs with errors are the ones that will die first, but even a disc with no errors can die over time.

Apparently I’m just lucky, but I haven’t had any discs deteriorate over time yet. I haven’t had many of the K-Hypermedia discs more than 7 or 8 months yet, but I’ve seen no new errors develop on them since they were burned. Of course, my discs generally aren’t exposed to sunlight, most of them are kept in sleeves or cases where there is little or no exposure to any kind of light when not in use, so maybe that’s why I haven’t had any fail yet. In fact, the only CDR I’ve ever had become unreadable after it was burned was one that was scratched by a bad drive, and I was able to recover all but 1 file from it.

Originally posted by rdgrimes
If you wish to archive files for storage, why use the cheapest media you can find? Yes, they can deteriorate over time, CMC media is noted for doing this. The first step is to scan the newly burned CDR for errors right after you burn it. (CDSpeed) If there are any errors, or the drive has to slow down to read it, toss it out. Every year you should scan them again and replace as needed. The discs with errors are the ones that will die first, but even a disc with no errors can die over time.

I did notice that my dvdrom slowed down to read parts towards the end of my burnt disc. But does that necessarily mean that I should not use the disc at all? I mean it’s still readable, though the reader has to slow down somewhat to read it.

Here’s a snapshot of my Nero CD speed of a blank 40x khypermedia disc. The whole batch is pretty much like this.