Are you satisfied with your LiteOn 16XX burner?

vbimport

Let’s do a poll

eleewhm - shame on you…

I don’t mind a poll, but this is silly. Or were you trying to be facetious? I get it, this is a joke, right? :slight_smile:

If anyone really wants to know, yes, I am satisifed with my 1213@1633. I’m not ecstatic about it, and I don’t burn with it very often, but I am satisified with it, it does what I bought it to do – which is primarily scanning and ripping.

HenryNettles - You are a good sport! :wink: :wink:

Regards-

i have the 1653 and 832. Only use the 1653 to rip and 832s to burn. I’m using c0deking lastest firmware, cy58 and getting great burn. On one of the burn, the ricojpn average about .24 PI

hehehe…you guys are cute…

Ok here’s the deal - I voted that I am sitting naked on the fence :smiley: well not exactly :smiley:

You see, I have and still own a LDW-811S, and so far not a coaster and very satisfied, despite the high kprobes on some media. Recently I got a SOHW-1633 and I must say that I noticed a few changes:

• The green flashing led instead of the steady red/orange
    (I guess you can say I’ve been mis-led… :smiley: :smiley: :D) Ok bad joke! :smiley:

• Very misleading, always exceptional KPROBE readings, even on CRAP media
    and poorly burnt media. The 1633 always report good, when in reality the disc is bad, and the same disk not being playable on players.

I heavily rely on my 811S, because it is the most accurate.

Also the 1633 burns like CRAP. Despite giving excellent kprobes.

Here is an example:

RITEK R02, burnt on a 811S = decent kprobe scan (with the 811S), with excellent results.
RITEK R02 burnt on 1633 = LOUSY kprobe scan (with the 811S).

So clearly the 811S burns better quality CDs and DVDs

I would definately use the 1633 for burning data, making high speed backups, etc… But will always use my 811S for burning DVD VIDEO.

Even with the OMNIPATCHER, the 1633 burns most media like ******* crap - yes the KPROBES are always within specs (below 280PI and 4 PIF).

If you are extremely fussy on burn quality, don’t bother with LITEON, don’t bother AT ALL - LITEON has the industry’s WORST quality burns. If you are into VIDEO PRODUCTION and do lots of video DVDs and want the best possible quality and compatibility, get yourself a Plextor or get yourself a 811S, I’ve burnt over 500 DVDs with my 811S and it always gave me good results and good kprobes.

If the 811S was such a bad reader as some people here say, then I would ALWAYS get bad readings - however when I burn media on my 811S, its kprobe is very decent. If I burn media on the 1633 and read it in the 811S, it is horrible - this PROVES beyond a shadow of doubt the HORRID writing quality of the 1633.

Oh what a difference a few short weeks can make…

If you are extremely fussy on burn quality, don’t bother with LITEON, don’t bother AT ALL - LITEON has the industry’s WORST quality burns. If you are into VIDEO PRODUCTION and do lots of video DVDs and want the best possible quality and compatibility, get yourself a Plextor or get yourself a 811S, I’ve burnt over 500 DVDs with my 811S and it always gave me good results and good kprobes.

If the 811S was such a bad reader as some people here say, then I would ALWAYS get bad readings - however when I burn media on my 811S, its kprobe is very decent. If I burn media on the 1633 and read it in the 811S, it is horrible - this PROVES beyond a shadow of doubt the HORRID writing quality of the 1633.

i certainly wouldnt say Liteon gives the industrys worst burns use good qaulity +R and its as good as any, as for ‘if you want good quality burns get an 811S’ well i dont like to laugh at peoples posts but that certainly gave me a chuckle, the 811S is a mediocre burner at best, experienced 811S users have got good burns but im sure most of them would swap it for a later model liteon, also the 811S doesnt support some newer media, if you want a good burner i certainly wouldnt suggest it.
Your entitled to your opinion but when it conflicts with fact then it can make new users very confused.

im pretty happy with my 1633 and thanx to the codeguys and anyone else who has made some kinda patch for the liteys…i would have been bored …
here my first dl at 4X

5.txt (559 Bytes)

Nice Scan :slight_smile:

I’m still undecided on my liteon drives I’ve had three of them so far a 401s , 832s, and now a
1633s. The 401s just decides to up and quit reading CD’s all at once for no apparent reason
what-so-ever. I then replace it with the 832s and got very sorry burns with +R and -R media
so I do a little tweaking and the +R improves a little but -R was still baaaad. I then replace it
with the 1633s and try every FW and tweak on here and still sucky +R writing on good media.
The only good thing about it is -R media burns great good or poor media it doesn’t make any
difference it still does great. :confused: I have tried all of the write swap strats on the +R but it makes
no difference in write quality :a Yes I have cleared the learnt media several times but it makes no
difference what-so-ever in the +R write. The highest I have seen the PI for the -R is around 88
and the PIF high has been 3 but not so for the +R the PI runs anywhere from 400 - 1600+ and
the PIF runs anywhere from 20 - 260+ even on TY media it just makes me sick :Z I guess that I’ll
probably buy a Benq 1620 for +R writing and keep the 1633s for -R writing :sad:

off-topic
@Rimmer66, if you realy love the 811s that much i will glady swap mine for your 1633s.

I think we have heard enough about Rimmer66’s 811S and 1633S read issues. He already has [thread=127411]his own thread[/thread] about that, so it doesn’t need to be revisited here. :wink:

No problems with my 1653S@CS02. It writes CDs/DVDs without any problems and with good quality using Nero 6.3.0.2

Paid far too much for my 1213S, and the NEC3500A was available about a week or two later, - also kicked myself… could have had a Pioneer A07XLA for the same price, but they’d run out (computer fair stall).

With what I’ve learned, I wouldn’t pick the Liteon again, well, not for a DVD writer anyway. It’s not the worst drive, but it’s nowhere near the best.

Which is why I now stick to RICOHJPN - this gives the best result for me, on both 811S and 1633. RICOHJPN, YUDEN and MCC04, and I would even say some batches of CMC have given me amazing results in both writers :smiley: Go figure.

I bought a sohw832s, that burned real fine, and I was very happy with the results. But unfortunatelly it failed to recognise some (blank) cd’s, so I had to rma the drive. In return I received a sohw1633s, the 832 was no longer in stock in the Netherlands. I did not ask for a 16 speed drive, and probably I will never use that speed. I use it at max. 8 speed and it did not fail on me yet, so yes, I’m very satisfied with this LiteOn drive. I hope that I will have no troubles with the cd-r lead-out bug, and that LiteOn will provide us with even better firmware than the one I use now, BS0S.

:bow: Leo

I’m on my 6th LiteOn DVD burner after continuous upgrades from the 411S 4X burner. I’m on my 3rd 16X burner(just got a 1673 drive) and have no complaints. Almost all my PCs now have a LiteOn DVD burner now. And the one without a burner has a LiteOn Combo drive.
I only use Memorex(8X and 4X discs) and Verbatim(16X and DL discs) and don’t have any problems burning with that media.

My 1213@1653 was an RMA drive, after firmware stuck on my 4 months 812@832S burner-I only use TY,RicohJPN discs and never had a problem.
-If liteon fix DVD-R burning in some media, in future firmware update (included some CDR media smartburn speed ),i will buy in the future again another product (due of cheap price/oc possibility)